Updated November 26, 2022
MPhil in Psychology or Master of Philosophy in Psychology is a two-year postgraduate course. The program mainly focuses on the thorough study of clinical psychology, covering the topics such as Social Influences, Human Behavior & Mental Development, Child Development, Dream Interpretation, Diagnosis of Mental Health, Addictions, Personality Disorders, and so on.
To be eligible for the program, aspiring candidates must meet the required criteria, including obtaining a master’s degree in psychology or other related disciplines from a recognized university with a minimum aggregate of 55% marks. Admission to the program is either based on the candidate’s performance in a relevant entrance exam or merit obtained in the qualifying degree.
Savitribai Phule Pune University (Pune), Jamia Millia Islamia (New Delhi), Bharathiar University (Coimbatore), University of Madras (Chennai), Calicut University (Calicut), etc., are some top universities/institutes in India for MPhil Psychology courses. The average fee for this course in India ranges from INR 20K to 2 LPA, depending on the institute candidates attend for the program.
Important MPhil in Psychology Course Details
Mentioned below are the Key Highlights of the MPhil Psychology course, such as course duration, full form, admission process, eligibility, jobs, salary, etc.
|PhD in Psychology
|Master of Philosophy in Psychology
|Further Studies Options
|Ph.D. in Psychology
|Masters in Psychology or other related disciplines with a minimum aggregate of 55% marks.
|Merit-based or Entrance-Based
|Top Entrance Exam
|DU Entrance Exam, RAT, etc.
|Savitribai Phule Pune University, JMI, University of Madras, etc.
|Average Course Fee
|INR 20K to 2LPA
|Average initial Salary
|INR 3 to 15 LPA
|Areas of Employment
|Hospitals, Schools, Market Research Companies, Defense Forces, Consulting Firms, etc.
|Top Job Profiles
|Psychologist, Psychology consultant, Child psychologist, Health educator, Rehabilitation specialist, etc.
|Spectrum healthcare resources, Pulse Recruitment, Children’s national, Bay Cove Human Services, BetaTech Inc., etc.
M.Phil. Psychology Admission Process
The admission procedure for the MPhil Psychology course varies according to the college/institutes candidates attend for study. Most institutes that offer MPhil Psychology courses in India grant access to the program based on candidates’ performance in a relevant entrance test. However, few colleges also provide merit-based access, considering the score of qualifying degrees (master’s in psychology or other related disciplines). Few institutes conduct their own entrance tests for offering admission, including Delhi University, Jamia Millia Islamia, and Lovely Professional University. Discussed below are the stepwise admission process that the candidates must follow.
- Candidates must collect the application form online or offline through the university’s official website or admission office.
- They must qualify in the relevant entrance exam to be eligible for this course, as admission into the MPhil psychology course largely depends on the performance of the entrance test.
- The candidates who have successfully cleared the entrance exam or passed the Merit criteria will be called for Personal Interview and Document Verification.
- The candidates who meet all the criteria will be allocated admission seats, and selected candidates will submit the required documents and admission fee for registering for the respective academic session.
M.Phil. in Psychology Eligibility Criteria
Although the eligibility criteria for the MPhil Psychology course may vary from one university to another, discussed below is an outlook of general eligibility prescribed by most institutes offering the program.
- Candidates must hold a Master’s degree in psychology (MA or MSc Psychology) or other related disciplines from a recognized university.
- They must have scored a minimum aggregate of 55% marks in their master’s degree (MA/MSc Psychology or other equivalent degrees) to be considered eligible for the course.
- Several colleges in India use an entrance test to admit students, so candidates must pass the test to be accepted into that institution/university. While some institutions hold their own entrance examinations for the course, some consider the score of common entrance tests like RAT (Research Aptitude Test).
- The written test may be conducted to assess the candidate’s knowledge, and those who qualify in the written test will be invited to participate in an interview.
- Must have completed research work at the postgraduate level (including some research training) equivalent to at least one year full-time.
Popular MPhil Psychology Entrance Exams
Various entrance tests are conducted to offer admission to MPhil psychology courses. Universities like the University of Delhi, Lovely Professional University, and Jamia Millia Islamia University conduct their own entrance tests to select students. Below are some of the popular MPhil Psychology entrance exams.
- DU Entrance Exam
- JMI Entrance Exam
- LPUNEST Entrance Exam
- RAT (Research Aptitude Test)
Top MPhil Psychology Colleges/Institutes
Most of the reputed Universities/institutes in India offer an MPhil in Psychology. The best MPhil Psychology colleges and universities that offer this course are listed below.
- Calicut University, Calicut
- Christ University, Bangalore
- Mumbai University, Mumbai
- University of Madras, Chennai
- Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi
- Bharathiar University, Coimbatore
- Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra
- Annamalai University, Chidambaram
- Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune
- Maharshi Dayanand University, Rohtak
Master of Philosophy in Psychology Syllabus
The syllabus for MPhil in Psychology generally remains the same in all institutes offering the program. The table below presents the structured MPhil Psychology syllabus’s common subjects.
Particulars of MPhil in Psychology Syllabus
|Psychological Testing I
|Philosophy of Research
|Research Methodology I
|Qualitative Research Methods
|Psychological Foundations of Behavior I
|Understanding Psychological Problems I
|Psychological testing II
|Research Methodology II
|Psychological Foundations of Behavior II
|Understanding Psychological Problems II
|Psychotherapy and Counseling
|Biological Foundation of Mental Health
|Community Mental Health
|Biological Foundations of Mental Health
Important Books for MPhil Psychology Course
The books listed below for MPhil Psychology can aid students in developing a deeper understanding of the subject. Additionally, these will also help students crack various MPhil Psychology exams.
|Name of the Book
|S. P. Gupta
|Statistics (Theory and Practice)
|B. N. Gupta
|Research Methodology Methods and Techniques
|C. R. Kothari
Scope after Completing MPhil in Psychology
Knowledge obtained after pursuing an MPhil in Psychology has an application in all spheres of life, including work, relationships, sports, industries, and organizational settings. Candidates who complete the MPhil Psychology program have a deep understanding of the human mind and behaviour, which helps them make careers in various fields like Hospitals, Schools, Market Research Companies, Defense Forces, Consulting Firms, etc.
In straight words, innumerable career opportunities are open for graduates after completing this course. Some top profiles and career prospects include Psychologist, Psychology Consultant, Associate professor, Rehabilitation Specialist, Community Relations Officer, Health Educator, etc. Additionally, some psychology professionals can work independently as Scientists, Physicians, Managers, Policymakers, etc.
Besides all these professional options, those who want to study further can opt for a PhD course in Psychology after completing their MPhil in Psychology, which enables the students to conduct more advanced level research in the field of Psychology and help them develop a deeper understanding of the subject.
MPhil Psychology Jobs and Career Options
The increasing demand for professionals in all healthcare centers, including mental health centers, hospitals, social health services, and schools, will lead to the growth of employment in psychology. The MPhil Psychology graduates can also get jobs in other employment sectors like universities, private industries, clinics, hospitals, etc. Below are some top profiles that candidates can aspire to after MPhil Psychology.
- Health Educator
- Child Psychologist
- Psychology Professor
- Psychology Consultant
- Rehabilitation Specialist
Graduates of MPhil Psychology Salary in India
Candidates with an MPhil degree in Psychology may establish a name for themselves and pursue a career as a psychologist in various disciplines like forensic psychology, counseling psychology, clinical psychology, industrial psychology, etc. The graduates can expect an average starting income of INR 3 to 15 lakhs per annum which can increase to a certain level after gaining work experience. The variation in the salary of the graduates depends on various factors like job profile, job location, recruiter, etc. Below are some popular job profiles after MPhil Psychology with average salary trends.
- Psychologist:- INR 5 Lakh Per Annum
- Child Psychologist:- INR 4 Lakh Per Annum
- Health Educator:- INR 3.5 Lakh Per Annum
- Psychology Consultant:- INR 8 Lakh Per Annum
- Rehabilitation Specialist:- INR 4 Lakh Per Annum
FAQs on Master of Philosophy in Psychology Course
Ans:- MPhil Psychology or Master of Philosophy in Psychology is a two-year postgraduate course. The program mainly focuses on the thorough study of clinical psychology, covering the topics such as Social Influences, Human Behavior & Mental Development, Child Development, Dream Interpretation, Diagnosis of Mental Health, Addictions, Personality Disorders, and so on.
Ans:- No, you will not be called a doctor or awarded a ‘Dr.’ title. To earn the ‘Dr.” title, you need to have PhD degree in Psychology.
Ans:- As both are research-oriented courses, the students find it challenging to choose one. However, a Ph.D. or Doctor of Philosophy is the highest academic degree provided to scholars by the university for their research work in the respective subject opted by them.
Ans:- No, an MPhil is generally considered the most advanced master’s degree you can pursue, while a Ph.D. is the highest academic qualification.
Ans:- No, to be officially referred to be a clinical psychologist, you must have an MPhil or Ph.D. from an RCI-recognized institution. In straight words, you can work in hospitals with rehabilitation and clinical populations only when you have MPhil or Ph.D. degree in Psychology.
Reads Beyond M.Phil. Psychology Under Courses Listing
- MSc Psychology Offers Flooding Career Ops- Check Out!
- Could Graduating with BSc Non-Medical be Truly Rewarding?
- How Alternative Medicine Courses is Changing the Healthcare?
- What Makes Ph.D. Psychology Specialized Course With Great Scope?
- Degree in MSc Home Science is the Most Prominent Program- Check!