Updated December 20, 2022
As per the name, Alternative Medicine Courses are course that involve studying the types of medical practices and products outside conventional clinical care. Alternative medicine includes therapeutic methods and products like dietary supplements, vitamins, natural products, herbal recipes, Ayurveda, Naturopathy, massage therapy, magnet therapy, spiritual healing, etc.
Alternative Medicine courses have an enormous career scope for the candidates. Today, alternative medicine practices for treating the illness have gained massive popularity as it reduces side effects and increases accessibility to better treatments. So, students aspiring to a career in alternative medicinal systems will have a bright future.
List of Alternative Medicine Courses
Alternative medicinal methods are diverse in their foundation as well as methodologies. These therapies and medicines are either culturally-rooted or based on traditional medical practices of folk knowledge, spiritual beliefs, or supernatural energies. Various courses focus on cultural and natural medical practices that use ancient techniques to treat diseases and ailments and promote healing by integrating mind, body, and spirit. Listed below are the three major categories of Alternative Medicine Courses that aspirants can choose from.
- Diploma Alternative Medicine Courses
- Undergraduate Alternative Medicine Courses
- Postgraduate Alternative Medicine Courses
Diploma Alternative Medicine Courses
Listed below are the popular Alternative Medicine Courses at the Diploma level aspirants can choose from.
- Diploma in Yoga
- Diploma in Acupressure
- Diploma in Physiotherapy
- Diploma in Aromatherapy
- Diploma in Naturopathy and Yoga
- PG Diploma in Health Science in Acupuncture
- Diploma in Ayurvedic Nursing and Panchkarma Therapy
Undergraduate Alternative Medicine Courses
Listed below are the popular Alternative Medicine Courses at the Undergraduate level aspirants can choose from.
- BSc in Paramedicine
- Bachelor in Midwifery
- Bachelors in Physiology
- Bachelor of Herbopathy
- Bachelor of Yoga Therapy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor’s in Acupuncture
- Bachelor of Hydro Therapy
- Bachelor’s in Kinetic Science
- Bachelor of Health Medicine
- Bachelor of Natural Medicine
- Bachelor of Electro Homeopathy
- Bachelor of Traditional Medicine
- Bachelor’s in Chiropractic Science
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy
- Bachelor’s in Health Medicinal Science
- Bachelor of Health Science in Acupuncture
- Bachelor of Naturopathic and Herbal Medicine
Postgraduate Alternative Medicine Courses
Listed below are the popular Alternative Medicine Courses at the Postgraduate level aspirants can choose from.
- MD Ayurveda
- MD Homeopathy
- MSc in Midwifery
- MA in Art Therapy
- MA in Dramatherapy
- MSc in Epidemiology
- Master’s in Acupuncture
- MSc in Oriental Medicine
- MSc in Emergency Medicine
- MSc in Occupational Therapy
- MSc in Rural and Remote Medicine
- Master of Naturopathy and Yoga Science
- Master of Health Practice in Acupuncture
- Master of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine
- MSc in Comparative and Experimental Medicine
- MSc in Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Alternative Medicine Courses Specializations
As we know that various specializations come under the umbrella of Alternative Medicine Courses, and discussed below are some of the major disciplines offered under Alternative Medicine courses.
Yoga:- Yoga:- Yoga is a group of physical, mental, and spiritual practices or disciplines that play an essential role in the spiritual, mental as well as physical aspects of life. It helps us master our body and mind. And also assures decrement in anxiety and stress by combining mindfulness, relaxation, and breathing techniques. Its foundation is deep philosophical roots that allow for self-awareness and expanding consciousness.
Ayurveda:- Ayurvedic medicine connects with the ancient Indian medical system based on the natural and holistic approach to treating and healing physical and mental ailments. This alternative medicinal practice includes diet, exercise, products, and lifestyle.
Chiropractors:- Chiropractors are the health care professionals who help align the Neuromusculoskeletal systems (including the spine and vertebrae) by using non-invasive, drug-free treatments. They employ x-rays to find any spine vertebrae, ribs, or vertebrae imbalances and then manually adjust those areas. Chiropractors do not perform any surgeries, but they can provide nutritional counseling or acupuncture therapies. The treatments have a good safety record and have no negative side results. They focus on diagnosing and treating neuromuscular disorders, emphasizing treatment through manual adjustment and manipulation of the spine.
Herbal Medicine:- This traditional healthcare system involves using plants or mixtures of plant extracts or parts such as leaves, flowers, or roots to cure illness and promote health and wellbeing. Herbal medicines are used to protect, regulate and heal your body. Herbal medicines are of two types: Western Herbal Medicine and Chinese Herbal Medicine.
Osteopathic Physicians:- They are the healthcare professionals who are trained to recognize the interrelated unity among all body systems, each working with the other to promote overall health and wellness. They provide medical services, such as diagnostic tests, diagnosis, and prescription of medications and surgical procedures for patients. Osteopathic Doctor training is comparable to that of a medical doctor and includes spinal manipulation training.
Naturopathic Medicine:- Naturopathy, or naturopathic medicine, is a form of alternative medicinal method that uses natural remedies to allow the body to heal itself. This scientific-based practice aims to remove the root of the disease, not only to treat the symptoms. Naturopaths have been trained in natural treatments, such as exercise therapy and Physical Medicine, Hydrotherapy, Homoeopathy, Clinical Nutrition, Botanical Medicine, and Lifestyle Therapy.
Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine:- Acupuncture is a form of alternative medicine and a part of the ancient practice of Traditional Chinese medicine. Thin needles are inserted into the body to treat illness and improve health. It is suggested that Acupuncture techniques redirect the flow of energy throughout the body to restore balance and peace of mind. Acupuncture therapy also incorporates Oriental Medicine or Traditional Chinese medicine to facilitate full-body healing and herbal prescription.
Top Alternative Medicine Courses Colleges
Various universities/colleges across India offer Alternative Medicine courses for students who wish to add depth to their knowledge of non-traditional medicinal and therapeutic methods knowledge. Some of these renowned universities/colleges that offer quality education in Alternative Medicine are as follows:
- Bundelkhand University, Jhansi
- Savitribai Phule University, Pune
- Christian Medical College, Vellore
- Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh
- Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- Institute of Medical Science, Varanasi
- Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore
- Bihar Acupressure Yoga College, Patna
- Shri Vishwakarma Skill University, Haryana
- All India Institute of Medical Science, New Delhi
- Baba Farid University of Health Sciences, Faridkot
- Holy Angels College of Alternative Medicines, Mumbai
- Nehru Homeopathic Medical College and Hospital, Delhi
- Shree Guru Gobind Singh Tricentenary University, Gurgaon
- Vinayaka Institution of Management and Technology, New Delhi
Popular Alternative Medicine Courses Jobs
Alternative Medicinal care candidates help increase alternative medicine use within the conventional health care system. These methods have gained immense popularity in recent times due to the possibility of lower side effects or increased access to superior treatments. There are many opportunities for career advancement in hospitals, clinics, medical centers or wellness centers, and even international health organizations. Here’s a list of job descriptions that candidates can use to begin building a successful career in the area of Alternative Medicine:
- Health Administrators
Salary of Alternative Medicine Courses Candidates
There are various job profiles Alternative Medicinal care students can explore based on their interests & specializations. Listed below are some of the popular job profiles available after pursuing the alternative medicine courses with their salary structure:
- Researcher:- INR Lakh Per Annum
- Professor/Lecturer:- INR 7 Lakh Per Annum
- General practitioner:- INR 9 Lakh Per Annum
- Para clinic specialist:- INR 6.5 Lakh Per Annum
- Head Spa Professional:- INR 8.5 Lakh Per Annum
FAQs on Alternative Medicine Courses
Ans:- Every learning is best in its way, depending on the interest and choices of the aspirants. Listed below are some of the most popular learnings in Alternative Medicine as follows.
· Diploma in Yoga
· Diploma in Acupressure
· Bachelor of Yoga Therapy
· Diploma in Physiotherapy
· Diploma in Aromatherapy
· Bachelor of Physiotherapy
· Bachelor’s in Acupuncture
· Diploma in Naturopathy and Yoga
Ans:- Alternative medicine Courses focus on the natural medical practices that use ancient techniques to heal and treat the ailments of the human body. The courses focus on medical products and practices considered different from conventional clinical care.
Ans:- BAMS or Bachelor of Alternative Medicine & Surgery is Three Years undergraduate degree program in alternative medicinal methods. Candidates who have completed 12th in the science stream from a recognized educational board can apply for this course.