Updated October 18, 2022
BTech Biotechnology is a Four-years undergraduate degree program in the engineering field. The course is an integration of applied biology and chemical engineering principles that involves the application of living organisms in Engineering, Technology, Medicine, and other valuable applications.
The minimum eligibility aspirants need to possess are at least 75% marks in 12th Board from science stream with subject combination of PCM. Admissions to the top of the BTech Biotechnology colleges are mainly based on entrance tests, and some of them are JEE Main, WBJEE, JEE Advanced, KCET, etc.
The course fees for BTech Biotechnology courses at different institutions range from INR 2 to 10 LPA. The variation in the fee structure of the program depends on the education quality and authority of the institution, as government institution charges less in comparison to private institutions
BTech Biotechnology Course Details
The table below shows the essential facts about B.Tech Biotechnology Course. So, check out below to know the program at a glance.
|Minimum educational Qualification
|The candidate must have passed the 12th examination in science stream from a recognized board with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics as compulsory subjects.
|Entrance and merit based
|Course Fee Range
|INR 2 to 10 LPA
|Average Salary Range
|INR 3 to 10 LPA
|PhD, MTech, MBA, etc., in relevant disciplines.
BTech Biotechnology Eligibility Criteria
Listed below are the minimum eligibility criteria that aspirants must fulfill for admission to the BTech Biotechnology course.
- The candidate must have passed 12th in the science stream from a required educational board with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Biology as compulsory subjects from a recognized board.
- They must have obtained a minimum of 75% aggregate marks and 55 % in PCM in the 12th board examination.
The minimum age of the candidates should be 17 years of age.
BTech Biotechnology Admission Process
The admission process of the BTech Biotechnology program differs for different colleges, but mostly it is done based on entrance exams such as JEE MAINS, WBJEE, etc. Additionally, few colleges also provide direct admission to the program based on the merit obtained by the candidates in the 12th Board. Below are the processes involved in admission to the BTech Biotechnology course.
Merit Based Admission
- Aspirants need to fill out the application form of the college/universities they have chosen for admission.
- In due course of time, the institution released a merit list considering the score of the 12th Board.
- The respective institution allots admission seats to the candidates who make it to the Merit list.
Entrance Based Admission
- Aspirants need to apply and appear for the BTech Biotechnology entrance examination.
- After the conduct of entrance examinations followed by a counseling session, the conducting authorities release the list of shortlisted candidates.
- Finally, the admission authority allotted the admission seats to selected candidates based on their scores.
BTech Biotechnology Entrance exams
Essentially, admission to the BTech Biotechnology course is offered through JEE Mains and JEE Advanced entrance exams. However, several other state and university level entrance exams are also conducted to grant access to the course. Below listed are some of the popular entrance examinations for the program.
- JEE Main (Joint Entrance Exam Main)
- VITEEE (VIT Engineering Entrance Exam)
- KCET (Karnataka Common Entrance Test)
- UPSEE (Uttar Pradesh State Entrance Exam)
- JEE Advanced (Advanced Joint Entrance Exam)
- MHTCET (Maharashtra Common Entrance Test)
- SRMJEEE (SRM Joint Engineering Entrance Exam)
- WBJEE (West Bengal Joint Entrance Examination)
Top BTech Biotechnology Colleges
BTech Biotechnology is among the most popular course offered by numerous leading technical institutes across India. Here we have listed some of the top BTech Biotechnology colleges.
- Amity University, Mumbai
- Manav Rachna Institute, Faridabad
- Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
- National Institute of Technology, Jalandhar
- Karunya institute of technology, Tamin Nadu
- School of engineering and technology, Greater Noida
- SRM institute of Science and Technology, Tamil Nadu
- Hindustan Institute of technology and science, Chennai
- Thapar institute of engineering and Technology, Patiala
- Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University, Nagpur
- Sathyabama Institute of Science and Technology, Chennai
BTech Biotechnology Course Syllabus
B.Tech Biotechnology is a four-year undergraduate program. The course curriculum of the program is divided into eight semesters that deals with the basic engineering concepts, which are applied in chemical engineering and applied biology. The syllabus for B.Tech Biotechnology comprises various vital subjects and topics and some practical works. The tabulated below is the semester-wise break-up of the syllabus for the program.
Particulars of B.Tech. in Biotechnology Syllabus
|Cell Biology Lab
|Engineering and Design
|Principles of Environmental Science
|Foundations of Biotechnology
|Engineering Graphics and Computer-Aided Design
|Heat Transfer Lab
|Genetics and Cytogenetics
|Enzyme Engineering and Technology
|Human Physiology and Health
|Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics
|Mechanical operations & heat transfer
|Mass Transfer laboratory
|Gene Manipulation laboratory
|Genomics and Proteomics
|Recombinant DNA Technology
|Plant tissue culture Laboratory
|Chemical Reaction Engineering
|Animal Cell culture Laboratory
|Bioprocess Engineering Laboratory
|Instrumentation and Process control
|Comprehensive Viva Voce
Scope After BTech Biotechnology Course
The biotechnology business is expanding day by day in India, and candidates in this discipline have a bright future. Numerous career opportunities are available to the candidates after pursuing this UG course. The graduates in BTech Biotechnology can opt for Research domains, jobs in private-sector, entrepreneurship, etc. These are all possibilities after graduating with a BTech Biotechnology course. Medicine Firms, Pharmacology, Agricultural Firms, and Research Organizations can also be the avenues for them.
Apart from all these, graduates can also go for advanced degree courses in the relevant field such as MTech in Biotechnology, MSc, and even a Ph.D. After pursuing these advanced courses, the horizon of the candidates gets broadened, and they are offered higher job positions and salaries and more research projects.
Top profiles in BTech Biotechnology Jobs
After graduating with B.Tech. in biotechnology, candidates can explore job opportunities in various sectors related to pharmacy and biomedical science. Some of the job profiles for BTech Biotechnology graduates are listed below.
- Chemical Associate
- Biomedical Engineer
- Biomedical Assistant
- Laboratory Technician
- Medical Lab Technician
- Pharmaceutical Engineer
- Pharmaceutical Associate
- Biological Research Assistant
Graduates with B.Tech Biotechnology salary
The average salary of the B.Tech Biotechnology graduates lies somewhere between INR 3 to 10 Lakh per year. The salary of the graduates depends on components like Industry, Job profile, Job location, Skills, Experience, college from where the degree is obtained, etc. Check out Below the average salary scale for some of the top BTech Biotechnology job profiles. The data below is just for reference, and the actual salary may differ.
- Pharmacist:- INR 8 Lakh Per Annum
- Microbiologist:- INR 9 Lakh Per Annum
- Biotechnologist:- INR 10 Lakh Per Annum
- Laboratory Technician:- INR 7 Lakh Per Annum
- Medical Lab Technician:- INR 6 Lakh Per Annum
BTech Biotech in Conclusion
It is no secret that Biotechnology qualifies as one of many applied sub-disciplines of Microbiology. In fact, Scope of Microbiology is considerably vast and BTech Biotechnology is the foundational study of the techy aspects of Microbiology. When you introduce organisms and bioprocesses to medicine, engineering, technology etc. you kind of get into the realm of Biotechnology.
From Career perspective a BTech degree in Biotechnology not of much significance, yet you explore certain avenues. It is advisable that you go for a masters and get an MTech The MTech graduate earn much higher salaries than their Bachelor counterparts. With the growing applications of Biotechnology in healthcare, agriculture and veterinary a BTech Biotechnology is a good start towards a great future. Instead of a plain graduation a BTech Biotech is way better.
Questions Mostly Asked on B.Tech. Biotechnology Program
Ans:- Yes, B.Tech Biotechnology is an excellent course. It promises vast a vast scope for the candidates as they can explore employment opportunities in numerous sectors of pharmaceuticals, agriculture, healthcare, food processing, nutrition, animal science, and environmental conservation. Only Job opportunities are not high in number, but even salary packages of biotechnology professionals are also lucrative.
Ans:- The minimum eligibility criteria required to get admission in the biotechnology course is that the candidates must have completed 12 in science with physics, chemistry, and Maths as compulsory subjects. They should have also scored the minimum of 75% aggregate marks and 55% in PCM at the 12th level.
Ans:- Some of the top BTech Biotechnology Engineering Colleges in India are:
· Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
· National Institute of Technology, Jalandhar
· Karunya institute of technology, Tamin Nadu
· School of engineering and technology, Greater Noida
Ans:- Some of the top job profiles BTech Biotechnology graduates can aspire to are Clinical researcher, Pharmacist, Professional Lab Technician, Medical Writing Executive, Medical Representative, Microbiologists, Production Manager, etc.