Updated November 25, 2022
PhD in Psychology or Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology is a doctoral program that spans a minimum period of three years. During the program, students pursue nine subjects, three each year, mainly focusing on clinical psychology and exploring the various psychological treatments and methods available.
Candidates holding a postgraduate degree in psychology from a recognized institute with a minimum score of 55% or equivalent marks are eligible to pursue a Ph.D. in psychology. Admission to the course is based on an entrance exam score of the candidates or merit obtained in their previous degree of study.
Some most reputed Ph.D. Psychology institutes in India include Allahabad University (Allahabad), Awadhesh Pratap Singh University (Madhya Pradesh), Banaras Hindu University (Varanasi), etc. The entire course fee for the program ranges between INR 1 to 3 LPA, depending on the institute candidates get into.
Important Details on PhD in Psychology Course
Mentioned below are some of the key highlights of the course, such as course duration, minimum eligibility, course fees, salary, jobs, scope, etc.
|Course Name||PhD in Psychology|
|Full-form||Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology|
|Course Duration||Minimum of three-years|
|Admission Process||Entranced-based or Merit-based|
|Average Course Fee||INR 1 to 3 LPA|
|Average Initial Salary||INR 2 to 12 LPA|
|Areas of Employment||Colleges, Universities, Healthcare Centers, Private Clinics, Hospitals, Counselling Offices, etc.|
|Top Job Positions||Clinical Psychologist, Educational Psychologist, Industrial Psychologist, Research Psychologist, Lecturer, Professor, etc.|
Ph.D. in Psychology Admission Process
The admission procedure for Ph.D. Psychology in India is uniform across the institutes offering this degree. Mainly, three routes viz. Merit dependent, university entrance dependent and NET JRF dependent are available for admission to PhD courses. Certain universities recognize Merit in a qualifying degree, others conduct their own entrance followed by interview, yet others allow PhD through NET / NET- JRF
Candidates are shortlisted considering both academic record and performance in a relevant nationwide screening test, such as RAT (Research Aptitude Test), JRF (Junior Research Fellowship) through UGC NET, etc. University Grant Commission (Minimum Standards and Procedures for Award of PhD Degree) Regulations, 2022 has brought some changes in the backdrop of NEP. Some of the essential steps for admission to the Ph.D. Psychology is discussed below.
- You should first think of clearing NET or NET-JRF
- If you opt out NET the specific conditions in regard to respective institute must be met
- You might need to appear and qualify for the entrance examination with an estimated cutoff.
- After the announcement of the results, qualified students are required to fill out the application form providing all personal and academic details.
- Selected students are invited to participate in group discussions and personal interviews.
- And finally, candidates who successfully clear all the rounds are offered admission seats.
Ph.D. in Psychology Eligibility Criteria
Candidates aspiring to pursue Ph.D. in Psychology program must meet the required conditions. Below are the eligibility criteria for Ph.D. asked by most institutions offering the program.
- Candidates must have completed a postgraduate degree in psychology (like M.Sc. Psychology or M.Phil. Psychology) or other related disciplines.
- They must have secured a minimum aggregate score of 55% marks or an equivalent grade at the postgraduate level. A relaxation of 5% marks is given to the candidates of reserved categories (SC, ST, etc.)
- Candidates may also be required to appear in the relevant entrance examination, if applicable, in the institute, they decide to attend.
Top Ph.D. in Psychology Entrance Exams
There are multiple entrance exams, which are conducted by different apex bodies for admission to Ph.D. in Psychology. Check out below some of the most common entrance tests for the program.
- RAT (Research Aptitude Test)
- GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering)
- UGC-NET (University Grants Commission-National Eligibility Test)
Top Ph.D. in Psychology Colleges/Institutes
Some of the top institutes in India that offer the Ph.D. Psychology courses in the country with the corresponding locations and fees charged by the respective colleges are listed below.
- Amity University, Lucknow
- Gauhati University, Guwahati
- Gulbarga University, Gulbarga
- Bhavnagar University, Gujarat
- Allahabad University, Allahabad
- Banasthali University, Rajasthan
- Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- Central University of Karnataka Gulbarga
- Gokul Das Hindu Girls College, Moradabad
- Bharath Ratna Dr. B.R. Ambedkar University, Delhi
- Awadhesh Pratap Singh University, Madhya Pradesh
- Government College for Women, Thiruvananthapuram
- Dr. Annasaheb GD Bendale Mahila Mahavidyalaya, Maharashtra
- Amity University of Behavioral Health and Applied Science, Noida
Syllabus of Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology
Since there are numerous sub-disciplines in psychology to be researched, the course curriculum for a Ph.D. in psychology is quite subjective. Candidates choose their optional subjects and area of research as per their interest. However, the common year-wise breakup of the syllabus for a Ph.D. in psychology is mentioned in the table below.
Particulars of PhD Psychology Syllabus
|Psychometric assessment methods|
|Year III||Clinical psychology I|
|Clinical psychology II|
|Internship in clinical psychology|
Scope After Completing Ph.D. in Psychology
Ph.D. in psychology promises enormous scope for graduates in various sectors such as Healthcare Centers, Private Clinics, Hospitals, Counselling Offices, Colleges, Universities, etc. The degree imparts comprehensive knowledge to the students on human psychology & mental health and various psychological treatments and methods available. Besides working in capacities of medical professionals, graduates with a Ph.D. in psychology can also join schools and universities as a counselor to students. Another top career option can be in the research and development field, working with a research team in a medical lab. In Straight words, ample job opportunities are available for candidates after completing a Ph.D. in psychology.
PhD in Psychology Jobs & Career Prospects
Upon completing the Ph.D. degree in Psychology, candidates have various career options. The two most popular fields of employment for psychology graduates are social service and mental health sectors, so they can either choose from them or opt for various other areas like Healthcare Centers, Private Clinics, Hospitals, Counselling Offices, Colleges, Universities, etc. Psychology professionals have strong demand in these fields, so they can expect to make decent earnings and have the opportunity to work directly with patients struggling with mental illness and other ailments. Below listed are some top professional avenues open to such postgraduates.
- Research Associate
Graduates of PhD in Psychology Salary in India
The average initial salary offered to the graduates of Ph.D. Psychology s in India stands around INR 1 to 12 Lakh Per Annum. The wages for doctorates in Psychology vary according to their job profile, job location experience, knowledge, etc. Discussed below are some top profiles after Ph.D. Psychology with average salary trend.
- Social Psychologist:- INR 3 Lakh Per Annum
- Clinical Psychologists:- INR 4 Lakh Per Annum
- Research Psychologist:- INR 12 Lakh Per Annum
- Industrial Psychologists:- INR 2 Lakh Per Annum
- Educational Physiologist:- INR 3 Lakh Per Annum
FAQs on Ph.D in Psychology Course
Ans:- Candidates holding a postgraduate degree in psychology from a recognized institute with a minimum score of 55% or equivalent marks are eligible to pursue a Ph.D. in psychology. Admission to the course is made based on an entrance exam score of the candidates or merit obtained in their previous degree of study.
Ans:- Yes, graduates with a postgraduate degree in psychology (like MA/MSc Psychology or MPhil Psychology) from a recognized institute with a minimum aggregate of 55% marks are eligible to pursue a Ph.D. in Psychology.
Ans:- Candidates have a wide range of career options to explore upon completing the Ph.D. degree in Psychology. Listed below are some most popular ones.
· Clinical Psychologist
· Industrial Psychologist
· Educational Psychologist
Ans:- Ph.D. in Psychology or Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology is a doctorate program that spans a minimum period of three years. During the program, students pursue nine subjects, three each year, mainly focusing on clinical psychology and exploring the various psychological treatments and methods available.
Reads Beyond Ph.D. Psychology Under Courses Listing
- MSc Psychology Offers Flooding Career Ops- Check Out!
- Could Graduating with BSc Geography be Truly Rewarding?
- How Alternative Medicine Courses is Changing the Healthcare?
- Degree in MSc Home Science is the Most Prominent Program- Check!
- What Makes Ph.D. Home Science Specialized Course With Great Scope?