Updated November 10, 2022
BSc Geography or Bachelor of Science in Geography is a three-year undergraduate degree. The program involves studying the earth’s natural processes and the impacts of human activity on the global environment, covering a wide range of topics such as environmental pollution, ecology, environmental restoration, glacial & fluvial dynamics, long-term landscape evolution & climate change, etc.
Aspirants who have completed a Higher Secondary School Certificate in science or arts stream with a minimum aggregate of 50% marks are eligible to apply for BSc Geography. Admissions are generally made based on marks scored by the candidate in the qualifying examination (12th). Some universities/institutes like BHU, AMU, LPU, etc., also conduct the entrance test for admission.
Some top institutes/universities in India offering BSc geography courses include Banaras Hindu University (Varanasi), Jadavpur University (Kolkata), Kerala University (Thiruvananthapuram), Lovely Professional University (Jalandhar), etc. The average expense in India for pursuing the BSc Geography course ranges from INR 1 to 2 LPA, depending on the university candidates have selected to attend.
Major BSc Geography Course Details
Mentioned below are the key highlights of the Bachelor of Science in Geography program, Such as the course duration, Eligibility, admission process, fees, employment sectors, jobs, salary, etc.
|Course Name||BSc Geography|
|Full-form||Bachelor of Science in Geography|
|Eligibility Criteria||Higher Secondary School Certificate (12th or relevant intermediate examination) in science or arts stream with a minimum aggregate of 50% marks.|
|Admission Process||Merit-Based / Entrance Test|
|Average Course Fee||INR 1 to 2 LPA|
|Average Initial Salary||INR 2 to 8 LPA|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Planetariums, Local Government, Universities, Private Companies, the Armed Forces, Environmental Protection Agencies, Environmental Consultancies, Charities, Education Authorities, Information Systems Organizations, etc.|
|Top Job Positions||Urban Planner, GIS Specialist, Cartographer, Environmental Management, Climatologist, Demographer, Writer or Researcher, Geo Analyst Trainee, National Park Service Ranger, Geography Teacher, etc.|
BSc in Geography Admission Process
Admission to the BSc Geography program is either Merit or entranced-based. While most institutes/universities that offer BSc Geography courses grant access to the program mainly on a Merit basis, some colleges, like BHU, AMU, LPU, etc., also conduct entrance tests for admission to the program. The essential steps in the different admission procedures for the BSc Geography course are discussed below.
Merit-Based Admission Procedure
Below are the essential steps candidates need to follow in the merit-based admission procedure.
- Candidates need to apply for the program. Application forms will be available at the admission office or the official website of the respective college.
- The application should be filled out correctly with all the required personal and academic details.
- Attach the required documents with the application form and submit them by paying the application fee.
- Candidates found suitable in the selection criteria will be accepted for admission based on their academic record and performance.
- The list of accepted candidates will be notified on the college site.
Entrance-Based Admission procedure
Below are the important steps candidates need to follow in the entranced-based admission procedure.
- Candidates need to register for the entrance test of the respective university on the official website by providing the required personal and academic details.
- Attach and upload the scanned copy of all the required documents like the candidate’s Photograph, Signature, Photo Identification, mark sheets, caste certificate, etc.
- Admit cards will be issued to eligible candidates based on the information provided by them.
- Based on the marks obtained by the students, their academic records, the number of seats, and institutes cut off, admission seats are allocated.
- The list of accepted candidates will be notified on the college site.
B.Sc. in Geography Eligibility Criteria
Candidates seeking admission to the B.Sc. geography program must meet the required conditions for the course. Mentions below are the minimum eligibility for the B.Sc. geography course that must be completed by the aspirants to enroll in the program.
- Candidates should have passed the 12th board or equivalent in Science or Arts discipline from a recognized educational board.
- They should have also scored the minimum aggregate of 50% marks or an equivalent grade in their 12th board or equivalent intermediate examination to be eligible for this course.
- The minimum age of the applicants should be 17 years and not exceed 25 years.
- Candidates who have appeared for their 12th board / Diploma and are waiting for the results can apply, provided they have passed the course before the document verification date.
- As per UGC guidelines, a relaxation of 5% marks or an equivalent grade is given to the candidates of reserved categories (SC / ST / OBC / PH).
Popular BSc Geography Entrance Exams
While most institutes admit students based on their performance in qualifying exams (12th or relevant intermediate examination), some BSc Geography institutes, including BHU, AMU, LPU, etc., conduct their own entrance exams for admission to the program to assess the eligibility of the candidate for the pursuance of the course. Enlisted are some most popular institute-level entrance exams for the BSc Geography course.
- JET (Jain Entrance Test)
- SUAT (Sharda University Admission Test)
- CUET (Common University Entrance Test)
- NPAT (National Test for Programs After Twelfth)
- AMU-ET (Aligarh Muslim University Entrance Test)
- BHU-UET (Banaras Hindu University Undergraduate Entrance Test)
- LPUNEST (Lovely Professional University National Entrance and Scholarship Test)
Top BSc Geography Colleges in India
Numerous colleges in India offer BSc Courses in Geography. Per the NIRF Ranking, enlisted down are the top universities providing BSc Geography for the students’ reference.
- Periyar University, Salem
- Calicut University, Calicut
- Goa University, North Goa
- Banasthali University, Jaipur
- Jadavpur University, Kolkata
- Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- Kerala University, Thiruvananthapuram
- Lovely Professional University, Jalandhar
Bachelor of Science in Geography Syllabus
BSc Geography is a three-year undergraduate course that comprises six semesters of study. The course syllabus includes a wide range of theoretical and practical learnings on topics like Rivers, Ecology, Environmental Engineering, Physical Environment, Climate Change Policy, Modern City Building, Political Geography & Geopolitics, Economic Geography, Coastal and Marine Ecosystems, Environmental Hazards, Energy Resources, etc. Discussed below is the year-wise break-up of the syllabus for the BSc Geography course.
Particulars of BSc Geography Syllabus
|Geography of India I|
|Maps and scales (Practical)|
|Cartographic Techniques (Practical)|
|Semester II||Human Geography I|
|Physical Geography I|
|Thematic Cartography (Practical)|
|Representation of Physical Features (Practical)|
|Geography of India II|
|Physical Geography II|
|Representation of Climate Data (Practical)|
|Statistical Methods in Geography (Practical)|
|Semester IV||Human Geography II|
|Maps projections (Practical)|
|Field Work and Research Methodology (Practical)|
|Semester V||Remote Sensing and GIS (Practical)|
|Regional Planning and Development|
|Distribution Maps and Diagrams (Practical)|
|Semester VI||Disaster Management (Project)|
|Evolution of Geographical Thoughts|
|Prologue to Remote Sensing and Field Survey Report (Practical)|
|Introduction to Remote Sensing, Hours GIS, and Quantitative Methods|
Scope after Completing BSc Geography Course
After completing BSc Geography, the graduates can pursue further studies in the related field. There are various postgraduate degree options, such as MSc in Geography, PG Diploma or PG Certificate courses in geography, MBA, etc.
On pursuing any of the courses mentioned above, candidates can go for Ph.D. in Geography if they are interested in research, hold a solid academic record, and have passed national-level entrance tests such as UGC NET / UGC CSIR NET. Pursuing a doctorate in the discipline makes them eligible for lecturer positions in universities and colleges.
Graduates in geography programs are regarded as marketable due to their mix of problem-solving and critical thinking transferable abilities. While some opt for marketing, public relations, and sales, some work as landscape architects, urban designers, surveyors, environmental activists, travel agents, emergency managers, meteorologists, and cartographers.
Others are looking for professions in journalism, local government, the civil service, or utility corporations. Some graduates find employment with non-governmental organizations in the public sector, such as those working in sustainability, poverty, and climate change.
BSc Geography Jobs and Career Options
After completing the program, graduates can join both government and private workforces. They are hired in working areas such as research institutes, urban planning institutions, cartography centers, content writing (geological), strategy and consulting companies, environmental agencies, zoos & national parks. Enlisted are some job positions available after graduating with BSc in geography.
- Geo Analyst
- GIS Specialist
- Urban Planner
- Environmental Manager
- National Park Service Ranger
Graduates of BSc Geography Salary in India
The average initial salary for BSc Geography graduates in India stands around INR 2 to 8 Lakh per annum, depending on job profiles, recruiter, job location, etc. The earnings of the graduates increase with the increase in their experience and skillsets. Below are some popular job profiles after BSc Geography with average salary trends.
- Researcher:- INR 6 Lakh Per Annum
- Geo Analyst:- NR 12 Lakh Per Annum
- GIS Specialist:- INR 3 Lakh Per Annum
- Cartographer:- INR 3 Lakh Per Annum
- Climatologist:- INR 5, Lakh Per Annum
- Demographer:- INR 7 Lakh Per Annum
- Urban Planner:- INR 5 Lakh Per Annum
- Environmental Manage:- INR 5 Lakh Per Annum
- National Park Service Ranger:- INR 6 Lakh Per Annum
FAQs on Bachelor of Science in Geography Course
Ans:- BSc Geography or Bachelor of Science in Geography is a three-year undergraduate degree. The program deals with studying the earth’s natural processes and the impacts of human activity on the global environment, covering a wide range of topics such as environmental pollution, ecology, environmental restoration, glacial & fluvial dynamics, long-term landscape evolution & climate change, etc.
Ans:- Yes, BSc geography is an excellent course to be pursued. Geography graduates have job and career opportunities in both government and private workforces. The job prospects after BSc Geography are diverse and flexible, making it possible for graduates to succeed.
Ans:- The primary difference between the two is the topics of study they include in their syllabus. While a Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Geography focuses on Humanities and Social Science, a Bachelor of Science (BSc) focuses on physical and natural sciences, which then branches on to various sub-fields in Geography.
Reads Beyond B.Sc. Geography Under Courses Listing
- MSc Physiology Offers Flooding Career Ops- Check Out!
- Could Graduating with BSc Home Science be Truly Rewarding?
- How Alternative Medicine Courses is Changing the Healthcare?
- Degree in MSc Home Science is the Most Prominent Program- Check!
- What Makes Ph.D. Home Science Specialized Course With Great Scope?