Updated November 5, 2022
PhD in Home Science or Doctor of Philosophy in Home Science is a doctorate program that spans three to five years. Three years is the shortest duration and five years is the longest one to get awarded the degree. The course involves studying physics, chemistry, biology, physiology, hygiene, sociology, rural development, economics, child development, family relations, community living, arts, food, nutrition, textiles, clothing, and home management to teach maintaining the living standards of a family.
Candidates aspiring to pursue the Ph.D. in Home Science course must have completed a postgraduate degree in Home Science or the related field of study from an accredited university/institute with at least 45 – 50% marks. Admission to the program is entranced based, so the candidates must qualify for the relevant entrance examination of the course conducted by a respective institute or apex bodies like CSIR, UGC, ICAR, etc. Some popular entrance tests for the program include GATE, NET, SET, etc.
Colleges/universities offering PhD in Home Science courses in India are innumerable. Some top institutions that offer this UG course include Women’s Christian College (Chennai), Ahmedabad University (Ahmedabad), Justice Basheer Ahmed Sayeed College for Women (Chennai), Presidency College (Bangalore), Banaras Hindu University (Varanasi), Delhi University (New Delhi), etc. The tuition fees for the course in India range from INR 2 to 3 Lakh, depending on the institution’s type.
Major PhD in Home Science Course Details
The Tabulated below presents the key highlights of the Doctorate of Philosophy in Home Science course. So, checkout below to get an overview of the program.
|Degree Name||PhD in Home Science|
|Full-Form||Doctorate of Philosophy in Home Science|
|Course Duration||Three to five years|
|Course Age Limit||There is no specific age limit|
|Minimum Eligibility||Postgraduate degree (Master’s or MPhil) in home science or other related fields of study with at least 45 – 50% of marks and qualification in NET, SET, etc.|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exam and Merit-Based|
|Average course Fees||INR 2 to 3 Lakh|
|Average Initial Salary||INR 2 to 6 LPA|
|Top Employment Areas||Educational institutions, healthcare sectors, technical industries, sales market, etc.|
|Top Job Profiles||Professor/Lecturer, Therapist, Scientific Researcher, Nutritionist, Dietitian, Food Analyst, Health and Nutrition Reporter, Host &Receptionist, Consultant, etc.|
PhD in Home Science Admission Process
Candidates must ensure they fulfill the minimum eligibility criteria and ranks as directed by colleges and universities to get admission to the best Ph.D. in Home Science college. The Candidates aspiring to pursue the Ph.D. in Home Science program must have completed a Master’s or MPhil degree in home science or other related fields of study from the accredited institute/university. It is mandatory to qualify for an entrance exam like NET, AILET, etc., to be eligible for admission as directed by their college or university website.
PhD in Home Science Eligibility Criteria
Candidates seeking admission to the PhD Home Science courses must meet the conditions as directed by the colleges and universities. Below are the eligibility criteria for Ph.D. in the Home Science program that must be fulfilled by the candidates for admission to the program.
- The candidate must have completed or should be in the last year of their postgraduate degree (like MSc in Home Science or MPhil in Home Science) with a minimum aggregate of 45% to 50% marks from a recognized university/institute.
- Candidates must appear and qualify for entrances like NET, SET, or other national-level entrance tests to be eligible to take admissions in the respective colleges.
- The eligibility criteria and admission procedure for the program vary from institute to institute, so it is advised to the candidates to visit the respective college website to get an idea about the entrance examination and eligibility criteria.
Best PhD Home Science Colleges in India
Candidates have ample options to choose from for the best Ph.D. Home Science colleges in India. Listed below are some most reputed colleges for the program.
- NIMS University, Jaipur
- Fatima College, Madurai
- Shivaji University, Kolhapur
- Delhi University, New Delhi
- Banasthali Vidyapith, Jaipur
- Presidency College Bangalore
- Santosh university, Ghaziabad
- University of Calcutta, Kolkata
- Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh
- Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- Women’s Christian College, Chennai
- Ahmedabad University, Ahmedabad
- Sardar Patel University, Vallabh Vidyanagar
- Mahatma Jyoti Rao Phule University, Jaipur
- St. Teresa’s College (Autonomous), Ernakulam
- Acharya NG Ranga Agricultural University, Guntur
- Shri Shivaji College of Arts, Commerce, and Science, Akola
- Justice Basheer Ahmed Sayeed College for Women, Chennai
- Bharathidasan Government College for Women, Pondicherry
Popular PhD in Home Science Entrance Exams
Admission to the program is entranced based, so some universities and colleges in India consider national-level entrance scores, and some have their own for admission to Ph.D. in Home Science courses. Below are some of the common entrance examinations for Ph.D. Home Science Courses.
- UGC-NET for JRF
- CSIR-UGC NET for JRF
- NBHM Entrance Exam
- AMU EE (AMU Entrance Exam)
- DUET (Delhi University Entrance Test)
- CU-ET (Christ University Entrance Test)
- JMI-EE (Jamia Millia Islamia Entrance Exam
- NPAT (National Test for Programs After Twelfth)
- IPU CET (Indraprastha University Common Entrance Test)
- Banaras Hindu University Research entrance test (BHU-RET)
PhD Home Science Syllabus and Course Description
Ph.D. Home Science is a three to five years long doctorate course. Candidates go through various essential topics and subjects while pursuing the program. Discussed below is the syllabus for the Doctor of Philosophy as prescribed by various Universities and Colleges offering the courses.
Particulars of PhD in Home Science Syllabus
|Paper No.||Subject/Topics of Study|
|VI||Physics, Chemistry, and Biology|
Scope After Completing PhD home Science
After completing the Ph.D. degree in Home Science, candidates become eligible for various job opportunities in the employment area, such as educational institutions, healthcare sectors, technical industries, sales market, etc. Some job roles available after this Program include professor/Lecturer, Therapist, Scientific Researcher, Nutritionist, Dietitian, Food Analyst, Health and Nutrition Reporter, Host &Receptionist, Consultant, etc. One can also do research work in the related field. The fresher doctorates in home science can earn between INR 2 to 6 LPA, but after some experience and practical knowledge, the salary can hike up to a certain level.
Ph.D. is the highest academic degree a person can obtain in the home Science field. So, the career prospect after Ph.D. in the Home Science program is high and estimated to increase in the upcoming time.
PhD home Science Jobs and Career Options
Doctorates in home science have a plethora of job options in various areas of employment. Below listed are some top profiles after Ph.D. in home science.
- Food Analysts
- Scientific Researcher
- Hosts & Receptionists
- Health & Nutrition Reporters
Doctorates of PhD home Science Salary in India
The doctorates of home science in India can earn between INR 2 to 6 lakh per annum in the staring year, depending on their expertise, recruiter and job location. However, after earning some experience and practical knowledge, the salary can hike up to a certain level. Mentioned below are average earning of the home science doctorates in different job sector.
|Job Sectors||Average Earnings|
|Tourism||INR 5 to 10 LPA|
|Production Industry||INR 5 to 7 LPA|
|Healthcare Industry||INR 6 to 8 LPA|
|Resource Management||INR 7 to 9 LPA|
FAQs on Doctorate of Philosophy in Home Science Course
Ans:- Doctor of Philosophy in Food & Nutrition Course is a 3-year doctorate program. To get admitted to Ph.D. Food & Nutrition, the aspirant must have completed a postgraduate degree (Master’s or MPhil) in a related field of study from a recognized university with a minimum aggregate of 50% marks. Admission to the program is made based on the results of entrance examinations. So, the aspirants need to get good marks in the relevant entrance test for the course.
Ans:- Yes, home Science is an excellent degree to be pursued. The graduates of home science have job opportunities in both public as well as the private sector. From getting various jobs at the State Government level to getting employed in multiple industries as a food expert, this field has gained tremendous recognition in India and abroad.
Ans:- The required minimum qualification for admission to pursue any Ph.D. course shall generally be a Master’s or MPhil Degree from any recognized Indian or Foreign University in the relevant field of study. Aspirants must have obtained at least 55% of marks or an Equivalent Grade in their Master’s or MPhil degree.
Reads Beyond Ph.D. home Science Under Courses Listing
- MSc Physiology Offers Flooding Career Ops- Check Out!
- Could Graduating with BSc Home Science be Truly Rewarding?
- How Alternative Medicine Courses is Changing the Healthcare?
- What Makes Ph.D. Botany Specialized Course With Great Scope?
- Degree in MSc Home Science is the Most Prominent Program- Check!