Updated October 18, 2022
MTech Biotechnology or Master of Technology in Biotechnology is a two-year Postgraduate degree program in modern medical practice comprising four semesters of study. The program deals with studying living organisms and bioprocesses involved in medicine, engineering, technology, and other fields requiring bio-products. Essentially, it trains students in using biotechnological skills in microbial, animal, plant biology, health, agriculture, and the environment.
Candidates aspiring to pursue this PG course must be a Bachelor’s degree holder in Biotechnology, Pharmacy, Biosciences, or any relevant discipline from a recognized institution with a minimum of 50% aggregate marks. Admission offered to the course is either based on the Entrance exam score or Merit obtained by the candidates in the qualifying exam. The average fee expense for the program at a different institution in India ranges from INR 20K to 2 Lakh Per Annum.
MTech Biotechnology Course Details
The table below highlights the important aspects of the MTech Biotechnology Program.
|Course Name||MTech Biotechnology|
|Full Form||Master of Technology in Biotechnology|
|Course Duration||Two Years|
|Exam Pattern||Semester Wise|
|Admission Process||Entranced and Merit based|
|Minimum Educational Qualification||Bachelor’s degree in Biotechnology or relevant discipline from recognized institute|
|Minimum Percentage||Aggregate of 50% marks|
|Average Fees Charged||INR 20K – 2 LPA|
|Average Salary Offered||INR 3 to 10 LPA|
|Top Job Roles||Biotechnology Research Scientist, Biotechnology Senior Research Scientist, Research Associate, Business Development Executive, Research Scientist, etc.|
|Higher Studies Options||MPhil Biotechnology, Ph.D. Biotechnology, MBA, PGDM, etc.|
MTech Biotechnology Eligibility Criteria
For applying to any program, aspirants need to meet specific parameters, and the same goes with MTech Biotechnology Course. The eligibility criteria for applying to the Master of Technology in Biotechnology course are not complicated and are listed below. But, one thing aspirants must keep in mind is that the eligibility criteria may differ from institute to institute. So, they need to visit the official website of their respective college before applying to the program.
- Candidates must have completed their Bachelor’s degree in biotechnology, Biosciences, or any other relevant discipline from a recognized institution.
- They should have scored a minimum of 55% aggregate marks at the Graduation level.
MTech Biotechnology Admission Process
Admission offered to the course is commonly based on the candidate’s score in an entrance examination. However, some colleges also provide direct access to the program based on the merit obtained by the candidates at their graduate level examination. Below mentioned are the various steps involved in the different admission processes.
- Aspirants need to apply to the colleges or universities they are interested in for admission.
- In due course of time, institution releases their cutoff lists, so candidates need to check if they are eligible for admission into the desired course.
- Candidates who fulfill the eligibility criteria need to visit the college and submit all the required documents.
Entrance based Admission
- Aspirants need to apply and appear for the entrance test of the respective colleges they are interested in for admission.
- After the entrance examination conducts, the institutions or admission authorities release the list of qualified candidates. And the eligible candidates are then called for GD & PI rounds.
- Based on the overall performance of the candidates in the entrance exam and GD & PI rounds, the institutions allocate them admission seats.
Master of Technology in Biotechnology Syllabus
The syllabus of the MTech Biotechnology program incorporates various vital subjects and topics. The table below presents you the semester-wise breakup of the subjects, students pursue under the curriculum of this course.
Particulars of MTech Biotechnology Syllabus
|Semester I||Cell Biology|
|Advanced Biological Chemistry|
|Exercises in Molecular and Cell Biology|
|Exercises in Environmental Biotechnology|
|Exercises in Advanced Biological Chemistry|
|Semester II||Genetic Engineering|
|Exercises in Immunology|
|Exercises in Genetic Engineering|
|Exercises in Plant Biotechnology|
|Exercises in Bacteriology and Virology|
|Principles of Bacteriology and Virology|
|Exercises in Bioinformatics|
|Exercises in Animal Biotechnology|
|Exercises in Bioprocess Engineering|
|Database Management and IPR in Biotechnology|
|Bioprocess engineering & Fermentation Technology|
|Genomics and Proteomics|
|Biochemical and biophysical techniques|
|Scientific Research and Communications|
|Stem Cell Technology and Regenerative Medicines|
M.Tech biotechnology Entrance Exams
There are numerous state and university level entrance exams conducted for providing admission to the MTech Biotechnology program. Listed below are some of the top entrance exams for the program.
- TANCET (Tamil Nadu Common Entrance Test)
- GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering)
- IPU CET (Indraprastha University Common Entrance Test)
- SRMJEEE PG (SRM Joint Engineering Entrance Exam, Postgraduate)
Top MTech Biotechnology Colleges
The MTech Biotechnology course is offered by many top colleges and universities across the country. Some of the top colleges offering this UG course have been mentioned below.
- Amity University, Noida
- DY Patil University, Mumbai
- Indian Institute of technology, Delhi
- Indian Institute of technology, Bombay
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani
- Manipal Institute of Technology (MIT), Manipal
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, Delhi
- SRM Institute of Science and Technology, Chennai
- Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology, Patiala
- Rajiv Gandhi Proudyogiki Vishwavidyalaya – RGPV, Bhopal
M.Tech Biotechnology Course Fees
The average tuition fee for the MTech Biotechnology program at different institutions in India ranges from INR 20K to 2 Lakh per Annum. The expenses for the program depend on the authority (Public and Private) and the institution’s reputation. The fee charged by government colleges is much lesser than that of private colleges. For instance, the fee expense for the program at Amity University is approximately INR 1.5 lakh Per Annum, while at IIT Delhi, it is roughly 50 000 per annum.
Future Scopes of MTech Biotechnology
The Master of Technology in Biotechnology course offers diverse career options for the candidates. Apart from exploring jobs, the MTech Biotechnology postgraduates can also go for higher education in their respective field. The options available in higher degree education is MPhil Biotechnology, Ph.D. Biotechnology, MBA or PGDM, and any other relevant disciplines. These advanced courses bring higher opportunities for the candidates in terms of Job options and salary packages. And also make the candidates eligible for the positions of lecturer and professors in colleges and universities.
Popular MTech Biotechnology Jobs
The MTech Biotechnology course promises numerous jobs and career opportunities in various employment areas like Pharmaceuticals Industries, Quality Testing Laboratories, Space Research Organizations, Academic Institutions, etc. The postgraduates can also expect the average salary package of INR 3 to 10 Lakh Per Annum. Below are some of the top job profiles offered to MTech Biotechnology postgraduates.
- Lab Technician
- Quality Controller
- Regional Manager
- Associate Engineer
- Research Biochemist
- Verification Engineer
- Academic Professional
- Biotechnology Researcher
MTech Biotechnology Postgraduates salary
Postgraduates of MTech Biotechnology Course can expect Average salary package between INR 3to 10 lakh Per Annum. The salary offered to the postgraduates depends on their Job profile, skillset, experience, location of the job, recruiter, colleges from where degree has been obtained, etc. And with gaining experiences in the field their increases. Listed below are some of the top job roles offered to the candidates after MTech Biotechnology with their average salary package.
- Quality Controller:- INR 4 Lakh Per Annum
- Associate Engineer:- INR 8 Lakh Per Annum
- Regional Manager:- INR 10 Lakh Per Annum
- Research Biochemist:- INR 7 Lakh Per Annum
- Biotechnology Researcher:- INR 6 Lakh Per Annum
MTech Biotechnology in Conclusion
Essentially, Biotechnology is one of the Applied Branches of Microbiology. Scope of microbiology is quite vast and MTech Biotechnology is higher study of the technological aspect of the broader discipline. When you introduce organisms and bioprocesses to medicine, engineering, technology etc. you kind of get into the realm of Biotechnology.
Career wise an MTech degree in Biotechnology is highly desirable and with this degree you have plethora of avenues to explore. MTech graduate earn much higher salaries than their Bachelor counterparts. Considering growing applications of Biotechnology in healthcare, agriculture and veterinary an MTech in Biotechnology has great future.
FAQs on Master of Technology in Biotechnology Course
Ans:- Yes, indeed, MTech Biotechnology is an excellent course to pursue. It is pretty prestigious and high-paying due to the high demand for research and development. It promises enormous career opportunities with a handsome salary, and even the freshers can earn up to 3 to 4 Lakh per annum.
Ans:- Some of the top MTech Biotechnology colleges across the India are as follows:
· Amity University, Noida
· DY Patil University, Mumbai
· Indian Institute of technology, Delhi
· Indian Institute of technology, Madras
· Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
Ans:- Every learning is best in its way, but when we compare any course in terms of technical knowledge, MTech Biotechnology has the upper hand over MSc Biotechnology. And, any technical program encompasses more career opportunities for the candidates.