Updated October 18, 2022
M Pharma, full form Master of Pharmacy, is a two-year postgraduate degree course in pharmaceutical sciences that comprises four semesters of study. The program deals with studying drugs and medicines and the different processes involved in turning the chemical elements into drugs or compounds that can be used for medicinal purposes.
The MPharm Course also offers different specializations, such as Pharmaceutics, Quality Assurance, Medicinal Chemistry, Pharmacology, Pharmacognosy, and many others. Candidates who aspire to pursue the M Pharm program must fulfill specific eligibility criteria that is completing B Pharma or related course with the required percentage.
M Pharma Course Details
The Master of pharmacy course is designed in such a way that it provides knowledge of almost the entire medicinal industry. It involves the theoretical, practical, technical, and research knowledge of pharmacy that involves traditional and modern practices. The table below shows the highlights of the Master in Pharmacy program. So, check out below to get an overview of the program.
|Course Name||M Pharma|
|Full-form||Master of Pharmacy|
|Course Duration||2 years|
|Minimum Eligibility||B Pharm or related course from a recognized institution with minimum of 50% marks|
|Admission Process||Merit and Entrance based|
|Popular Entrance Tests||GPAT, AP PGECET, OJEE, HPCET, BITS, etc.|
|Average Fee Charged||INR 25k to 2.5 lakh Per Annum|
|Average Salary Offered||INR 3 to 10 Lakh Per Annum|
|Top Profiles||Quality Control and Quality Assurance Managers, Sales Managers, Physician Associate, Health Economists, etc.|
|Top Recruiters||Cipla, Lupin, Biocon, Wockhardt, Aurobindo, Dr Reddy’s Laboratories, Novozymes, etc.|
|Prominent employment areas||Pharmaceutical Research Industry, Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Units, Cosmetic Industry, Govt. Analytical Labs, Clinical Research, Pharmacovigilance, Medical Coding, Government Medical Services|
|Higher Studies Options||Ph.D. in Pharmacy, MBA or PGDM, etc.|
Popular M Pharma Specializations
There are various specializations available in M Pharmacy. Some of the prevalent disciplines are listed below.
- Quality Assurance
- Industrial Pharmacy
- Medicinal Chemistry
M Pharma Eligibility Criteria
To be eligible for the Master of Pharmacy program, candidates must fulfill specific eligibility criteria. Below mentioned are the criteria of eligibility accepted by most institutions offering the program.
- Aspirants must have completed Bachelor of Pharmacy (B Pharma) or other related courses from a PCI (Pharmacy Council of India) approved college or university.
- They must have secured a minimum of 50% marks in their graduate degree examination. However, some institutions may also ask for a minimum of 60% marks to be eligible for admission to the program.
M.Pharm Admission Process
The admission process for the M Pharma program differs from institute to institute. Some institutions provide admissions to the program based on the academic scores of the candidates in graduation, and some based on the score of standard national or state level entrance tests. Most institutions accept GPAT scores for providing admissions. However, few universities also conduct their own entrance examinations to grant access to the program. Below mentioned are the different processes for Admission to the M. Pharmacy program.
- Merit-Based Admission:- In merit-based Admission, candidates must have the required percentage of their undergraduate degree to apply to the program. After applying to the program, one who secures the spot on the merit list is invited for counseling and a personal interview round. And after the final evaluation of all the rounds, the institutes allot admission seats.
- Entrance Based Admission:- In entranced based Admission, students must appear and qualify for the standard M.Pharma national or state level entrance tests. After the conduct of the entrance test, a cut-off list is released by admission authorities where one should exceed the cut-off marks to get Admission into top M.Pharm Colleges. Most institutions offering the program accept a GPAT exam score. However, few institutions have their own entrance test.
M. Pharma Entrance Exams
Various national, state and university level entrance tests are conducted for offering admission to the Master of Pharmacy program. Most universities accept GPAT scores, while some conduct their own entrance exam to grant access to the program. Below are some of the most popular exams to enroll in the M Pharmacy course.
- GPAT (Graduate Pharmacy Aptitude Test)
- OJEE (Odisha Joint Entrance Examination)
- TANCET (Tamil Nadu Common Entrance Test)
- HP CET (Himachal Pradesh Common Entrance Test)
- AU AIMEE (Annamalai University All India Medical Entrance Exam)
- TS PGECET (Telangana State Postgraduate Engineering Common Entrance Test)
- AP PGECET (Andhra Pradesh Post Graduate Engineering Common Entrance Test)
- NIPER JEE (National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education & Research Joint Entrance Exam)
Master of Pharmacy Syllabus
The subjects or the topics incorporated in course curriculum of the Masters of Pharmacy are enlisted below. However, some subjects and topics may vary in different colleges but the basic concept remains the same. The table below shows the year wise break up of M Pharmacy syllabus.
Particulars of M Pharma Syllabus
|First Year||Pharm Biotechnology|
|Modern Analytical Technique|
|Synopsis of the Proposed Dissertation|
|Biopharmaceutics and Pharmacokinetics|
|Pharmaceutical Production Management|
|Recent Advances in Drug Delivery System|
|Pharmaceutical Biostatistics and Computer Application|
|Drug Regulatory Affairs and Intellectual Property Rights|
|Dissertation and Presentation|
Top M Pharma Colleges in India
Several institutions in India offer quality education in M Pharma Courses. Listed below are some of the top colleges for the Master of Pharmacy program.
- Annamalai University
- Amity University, Noida
- JSS College of Pharmacy
- SRM College of Pharmacy
- Poona College of Pharmacy
- Bombay College of Pharmacy
- Punjab University, Chandigarh
- Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra
- Jamia Hamdard University, New Delhi
- Maharaja SayajiRao University of Baroda
- Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai
- Birla Institute of Technology & Science, Pilani
- Delhi Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences & Research
- Sri Ramchandra Institute of Higher Education & Research
- National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education & Research
Master of Pharmacy Course Fees
The average fee charged for the Master of Pharmacy program at different institutions ranges from INR 25 K to 2.5 lakh per annum, depending on the authority and education quality of the institution. The fee expenses for the program at a government institution are comparatively lesser than at a private institution. The reason for the differences in fee structure is that the government regulates the fee structure at the public institutions; hence is always kept in check. But, at the same time, it depends on their criteria to regularize the fee structure at the private institutions.
Scope After M Pharma Course
Graduating with an M Pharm degree in any specialization promises ample opportunities for the candidates from both the education and job perspective. Postgraduates can explore various job roles in numerous reputed Pharmaceutical Companies, Food & Fermentation Units, Educational institutes, Drug Control Administration, Sales & Marketing departments, Research Agencies, Industries, Laboratories, Hospitals, etc. Starting their own pharmaceutical companies and medical stores is also a better option and is equally beneficial for their career advancement.
Apart from that, one can also pursue a higher degree in the pharmaceutical field. Options, in this case, are Ph.D. in Pharmacy, MBA or PGDM, etc. Different specializations are also available for Ph.D. in Pharmacy, such as Ph.D. Pharmaceutics, Ph.D. Pharmacology, Ph.D. Pharmaceuticals, etc. Students can pursue any of these based on their interests and choice. These advanced courses allow the candidates to have a mastery over this subject and bring them lucrative job position opportunities.
M Pharma Jobs and career Options
Graduating with an M Pharma degree guarantees students excellent job placements and career opportunities. Some of the top profiles after Master of Pharmacy are listed below.
- Medical Writer
- Research Scientist
- Dispensary manager
- Oncology Pharmacist
- Drug & Quality Control
- Medical Representative
- Clinical Project Manager
- Medicine Safety Manager
Graduates in Master of Pharmacy Salary
The average salary offered to the M Pharma Postgraduates ranges from 3 to 10 lakh per annum, depending on the field of specialization and the experience. The salary of the candidates increases with the increase in their knowledge. We have listed some of the top job profiles after Master of Pharmacy with their average salary trend.
- Pharmacist:- INR 3 Lakh Per Annum
- Medical Writer:- INR 4.5 Lakh Per Annum
- Pharmacologist:- INR 5 Lakh Per Annum
- Pharmacognosy:- INR 6 Lakh Per Annum
- Research Scientist:- INR 7.5 Lakh Per Annum
- Oncology Pharmacist:- INR 7 Lakh Per Annum
- Drug & Quality Control:- INR 6.5 Lakh Per Annum
- Clinical Project Manager:- INR 10 Lakh Per Annum
FAQs on Master of Pharmacy Course
Ans:- The Master of Pharmacy or M Pharma is the two years degree program in pharmaceutical field. It is the oldest honorable Diploma (Degree) authorized from the European Faculties of Pharmacy as it takes five years to complete.
Ans:- The M Pharma degree in any specialization offers ample job opportunities and career options for the candidates. Some the popular job profiles after the Master of Pharmacy program are Quality Control and Quality Assurance Managers, Sales Managers, Physician Associate, Health Economists, etc.
Ans:- The Master of Pharmacy course offers various specializations, and every domain is best in its way, depending on the interest and choices of the candidates. However, some of the most preferred disciplines are Pharmaceutics, Pharmacology, Medicinal Chemistry, Pharmacognosy, Biopharmaceutics, Drug Regulatory Affairs, Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, Clinical Pharmacy, etc.
Reads Beyond M Pharmacy Course Under Courses Listing
- What Bachelor of Science in Horticulture is All About?
- What Makes MTech Biotechnology a Specialized Course?
- BA Honours Offers Flooding Career Ops- Check Out Here!
- Could Graduating with BTech Biotechnology be Rewarding?
- Degree in MSc Physics is the Most Prominent Program- Check!