Updated October 18, 2022
B Pharma full form Bachelor of Pharmacy is a four-year-long undergraduate degree program comprised of 6 to 8 semesters. The program focuses on training the students to deal with the pharmaceutical industry’s intricacies that range from manufacturing to dispensing of medicine and drugs across various medical stores, distributors, and stockists. The official body for regulating the program is the Pharmacy Council of India (PCI) which lays down all norms and regulations for the B Pharma Course.
Candidates who aspire to a career as a pharmacist must have completed 12th or equivalent in science stream with Physics Chemistry, Biology, and Mathematics as mandatory subjects from a recognized board. And the minimum aggregate of marks required for the program is 50% in a higher secondary degree.
Admission to the B. Pharma course is primarily made through the entrance exam. However, few institutes also offer direct admission to the program based on merit. Various state authorities and universities conduct the entrance exam to provide admission to the program. MHCET, BHUUET, GCET, BITSAT, KCET, etc., are some of the top entrance exams for the program.
Numerous colleges in India, like Jamia Hamdard University, Amity University, Aditya College of Pharmacy and Science, etc., offers B. Pharmacy Course. The average fees for the program range between 15000 to 125,000 Per annum. The fee expense of the program varies depending on the authority and the standard of the colleges.
B Pharma Eligibility Criteria
B Pharmacy aspirants must fulfil specific eligibility criteria for pursuing the program. However, it may vary from authority to authority and institution to institution. But below mentioned are the essential eligibility criteria that each authority and institution accept.
- Candidates Must have completed 12th or equivalent in science stream with subject combination of either PCB/PCM from recognized board.
- Candidates must also obtain a minimum aggregate of 50% marks in their class 12th examination.
- Candidates must have completed 17 years of age on or before 31st December of the year of admission to the program.
B Pharma Admission Process
Admission provided to the Bachelor of Pharmacy Course is primarily based on the entrance exam performance of the candidates. So, candidates need to appear and qualify in any standard entrance exam conducted by various state bodies and universities. However, an institution like Annamalai University also provides admission to the program on a merit basis. Below are some of the steps candidates need to follow for enrolment in the program.
- Candidates need to apply and appear for any standard entrance tests conducted by state bodies and universities.
- On completion of the entrance test, the conducting bodies prepare a merit list of the candidates based on their performance.
- Candidates who secure up to the cut-off marks are called for the further selection process that may include a personal interview, group discussion, round of counselling, etc., depending on the selection process of the institutions.
- After that, the institutions shortlist the candidates for allotting the admission seat based on overall performance.
- And at last, all the selected candidates need to register themselves for the academic year by submitting the course fee and required documents.
B Pharma Entrance Exams
B Pharmacy admissions are made through the entrance exam. Candidates are allotted admission seats based on the performance of the candidates in various entrance exams conducted by a different institution or state body. The cut-off marks generally vary from institution to institution. Below mentioned in the list are some of the popular entrance exams for the program.
- Manipal Entrance Test (MET)
- Goa Common Entrance Test (GCET)
- Karnataka Common Entrance Test (KCET)
- Maharashtra Common Entrance Test (MHT-CET)
- Uttar Pradesh State Entrance Examination (UPSEE)
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science Aptitude Test (BITSAT)
- Panjab University Undergraduate Common Entrance Test (PUCET)
- Banaras Hindu University Undergraduate Entrance Test (BHU-UET)
B. Pharmacy Syllabus
Bachelor of pharmacy is a four-year-long undergraduate program that comprises six to eight semesters. In the B Pharm program, candidates pursue subjects like Remedial Biology, Pharmaceutics, Biochemistry, Human Anatomy, Physiology, etc. The subjects for the course might differ from institution to institution, but the concept remains the same in every institution. Below is the table that presents the year-wise syllabus for B Pharm Course that is commonly followed by the top institution offering the program.
Particular of B. Pharmacy Syllabus
|Second Year||AP HE- I|
|AP HE- II|
|Organic Chemistry II|
|Pharmaceutical Analysis II|
|Pharmaceutical Chemistry II|
|Dispensing & Community Pharmacy|
|Medicinal Chemistry I|
|Medicinal Chemistry II|
|Chemistry of Natural Products|
|Pharmaceutical Jurisprudence Ethics|
|Medicinal Chemistry III|
|Projected Related to Elective|
|Chemistry of natural products|
Top B Pharma Colleges in India
India is home to a large number of colleges and universities, and numerous colleges offer renowned courses in B. Pharmacy. The list below presents some of the top Bachelor of Pharmacy colleges across India.
- Jamia Hamdard University, Delhi
- Dayanand Sagar Institutions, Bangalore
- Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai
- Government College of Pharmacy, Amravati
- Aditya College of Pharmacy and Science, Delhi
- Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Karnataka
- School of Pharmacy Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya, Indore
- JSS Academy of Higher Education and Research, Karnataka
- West Bengal University of Animal and Fishery Sciences, Kolkata
- Delhi Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research, New Delhi
B. Pharmacy Career Prospects
Bachelor of Pharmacy encompasses a wide range of areas for career opportunities. Post pursuing the program, candidates are offered jobs in various public and private employment sectors like Technical Pharmacy, Clinical Pharmacy, Medical Dispensing Store, Health Centres, Food & Drug Administrations. Apart from being a professional, B Pharma graduates can also opt for advanced courses in a related field such as MBA in Pharmaceutical Management, M. Pharmacy, Pharm. D, M.Sc. in Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Diploma in Clinical Research to broaden their horizon.
B Pharma Jobs Opportunities
After graduating with a B. Pharmacy degree, candidates can either pursue advanced courses or start a professional journey by taking up jobs. One who chooses to be a professional can be employed with job types like Professor, Drug Inspector, Drug Therapist, Drug Technician, Analytic Chemist, etc. Below are some of the top Job profiles after pursuing the B Pharma program.
- Food & Drug Inspector
- Drug Therapist
- Drug Technician
- Analytic Chemist
- Clinical Researcher
- Pharmacy Business
- Hospital Pharmacist
- Medical Representative
- Medical Transcriptionist
- Research Officer/ Manager
B Pharma salary Package
Post pursuing the programs, B Pharma graduates can receive an average starting salary of Rs.3 – 5 lakh per annum. However, it may change after gaining some experience and polishing skillsets. The average wages of the B Pharmacy candidates generally depend on the institution they pursued the course because top institutions guarantee placement with a lucrative salary package. Some other significant factors that play a crucial part in determining the salary package of B. Pharmacy candidates are Job Profiles and Recruiter. For instance, a Clinical Researcher can receive an average salary of 5 lakh per annum, while the average salary of a Drug Inspector ranges from 8 to 14 lakh per annum. Listed below are some of the top Job Profiles after the B. Pharm course, along with the average annual salary package.
- Drug Inspector:- 8 – 14 Lakh Per Annum
- Clinical Researcher:- Rs. 5 Lakh Per Annum
- Pharmacy Business:- Rs. 7 – 10 Lakh Per Annum
- Medical Representative:- Rs. 3 – 6 Lakh Per Annum
- Medical Transcriptionist:- Rs. 4 to 6 Lakh Per Annum
Mostly Asked Questions on Bachelor of Pharmacy
Ans- B. Pharmacy is a four-year undergraduate program where students learn about the methods and processes of manufacturing and dispensing medicine and drugs across various medical stores, distributors, and stockists.
Ans- Salary scale for B. Pharm graduate is not specified that may vary depending on job profile, experience, recruiter, etc. However, the average starting salary for a pharmacist may range from Rs. 2 to 5 Lakhs per annum.
Ans- No, B Pharmacist is not a doctor, and bachelor of Pharmacy is an undergraduate degree program in the field of Pharmacy education. After pursuing the program, the student can become a Drug inspector, Drug therapist, Drug technician, Analytic chemist, Clinical researcher, Teacher, etc.
Ans- Bachelor of Pharmacy is not that tough, and in fact, it is easy to pass in comparison to many other courses.