Updated October 18, 2022
MD in Ayurveda full form Doctor of Medicine in Ayurveda is a three-year postgraduate course in the alternative medicine domain. The program focuses on teaching the students different techniques in surgery, disorders in surgery, surgical emergency management & trauma, etc., to help people in achieving a good lifestyle & wellness.
MD in Ayurveda is a branch of science and one of the Alternative Medicine Courses which promotes treating and healing human physical and mental ailments through a natural and holistic approach. Admission to this course is usually made through entrance exams. However, many colleges grant access to the program based on the score of the candidates in their previous higher education.
Various colleges across India offer the MD Ayurveda program, and some of the top ones are SRM University, Bharati Vidyapeeth University, Desh Bhagat University, etc. The average tuition fee at different institutions that offer this program ranges from INR 20K to 2 Lakh Per Annum, depending on the institution candidates have selected for admission.
MD in Ayurveda Course Details
The table below shows the Highlights of the Doctor of Medicine in the Ayurveda Course. So, check out below for an overview of the MD in the Ayurveda Course.
|Course Name||MD in Ayurveda|
|Full Form||Doctor of Medicine in Ayurveda|
|Education Level||Post Graduate|
|Course Duration||Three years|
|Minimum Eligibility||M.B.B.S. or any Other UG Degree in the Ayurveda domain|
|Admission Process||Selection for admissions is based on the rank obtained in the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET).|
|Average Fee Incurred||INR 15K to 2 Lakh Per Annum|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 5 to 10 Lakh Per Annum|
|Prominent Recruiting Areas||Ayurveda specialty centers, Ayurvedic clinics, National Ayush Mission, Academic, Drug manufacturing, Research institutes, Government/ private hospitals, National Rural Health Mission (NRHM), Ayurvedic resort, Pharmaceutical Industries, Medical tourism, etc.|
|Top Job Positions||Ayurvedic Doctor, Therapist, Pharmacist, Scientist, Lecturer, Medical Officer, Medical representative, Product Manager, Jr. Clinical Trial Coordinator, Pharmacy Manager, etc.|
MD in Ayurveda Eligibility Criteria
Listed below are the eligibility criteria aspiring candidates need to fulfil to be eligible for the MD Ayurveda course.
- Candidates must have obtained an MBBS degree or any other UG degree from a recognized educational institute in the Ayurveda domain.
- They should have also secured a minimum of 50% aggregate marks to be eligible for appearing in the NEET PG exam through which they will get admission to the MD Ayurveda course.
- They should have also completed a minimum of one year of internship in the field of medical is required.
MD in Ayurveda Admission Process
Admission to the MD Ayurveda course is usually based on candidates’ merit in the common entrance test for the program. However, some institutes also grant candidates access to the program based on their merit in their previous exams.
In most institutions, admission to the MD Ayurveda course is based on NEET PG scores, followed by counselling sessions. However, several institutes like AIIMS, JIPMER and PGIMER conduct their own entrance exam, followed by a subsequent round of personal interviews and group discussion.
MD in Ayurveda Entrance Exams
Admission to the Doctor of Medicine in Ayurveda Course is mainly made through an entrance test. So, we have listed some of the program’s most popular entrance tests.
- AIIMS PG Exam (All India Institute of Medical Sciences- PG Exam)
- NEET PG (The National Eligibility cum Entrance Test- Postgraduate)
- PGIMER ET (Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research Entrance Test)
- JIPMER ET (Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education & Research Entrance Test)
Doctor of Medicine in Ayurveda Syllabus
MD in Ayurveda is a three-year postgraduate program, and students go through various vital subjects and topics during the course study. Listed below are some essential topics that the Doctor of Medicine in Ayurveda syllabus incorporates.
Particulars of MD Ayurveda Syllabus
|Anatomy||History of the Ayurvedic system|
|Physiology||Ayurvedic Pharmaceutical Science|
|Toxicology||Sushrut Samhita & Ashtang-Hridayam|
|Pharmacology||Ayurvediya and Darshanika Siddhanta|
|Charak Samhita||Ayurved Itihas and Prayogika Siddhant|
|Garbha Shaarira||Koshthanga Sira Dhamani Srotas Sharir|
|Radiopharmaceuticals||Marma Sharir Evum Asthi Sandi Peshee Shaarira|
|Basic principles of Ayurveda||Tantra Shaarira Evum Antah and Bahia Granthi Vigyani|
Top MD in Ayurveda Colleges in India
Colleges/Universities across India offering MD in Ayurveda Courses are in significant numbers. Some of the leading ones are listed below.
- Desh Bhagat University
- Himachal Pradesh University
- Institute of Medical Sciences
- Bharati Vidyapeeth University
- Government Ayurveda College
- Ashtang Ayurveda Mahavidyalaya
- Shri Ramasamy Memorial University
- Ayush and Health Science University
- Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences
- Gopabandhu Ayurveda Mahavidyalaya
- Dr. BNM Rural Ayurveda Medical College
- College of Ayurveda and Research Center
- Maharashtra University of Health Sciences
Scope after Doctor of Medicine in Ayurveda
Post pursuing the MD Ayurveda program; candidates can explore job opportunities in employment areas like Ayurveda Colleges, Clinics & Healthcare Centers, Hospitals, Research Institutes, Yoga Clubs, etc. They can also go for a research-based course like PhD in Yoga. Pursuing a research-based course will help the candidate gain more expertise in the field.
Apart from that, candidates who want an insight into how the management industry works can also opt for an MBA course. Obtaining MBA Degree creates a plethora of job options for the candidates to choose from.
MD Ayurveda Jobs and Career Options
After completing the MD in Ayurvedic course, candidates have many job options to choose from in various employment areas like Ayurveda Colleges, Clinics & Healthcare Centers, Hospitals, Research Institutes, Yoga Clubs, etc. Listed below are some popular job profiles candidates can go to after the Doctor of Medicine in Ayurveda Course.
- Drug Scientists
- Ayurvedic Doctor
- Pharmacy Manager
- Ayurveda Specialist
- Food Services Manager
- Ayurveda Medical Officer
- Male Masseurs Therapist
- Medico Marketing Executive
Salary After MD Ayurveda Course
The average salary Ayurvedic Doctors can expect in India ranges from 3 to 8 lakh per annum, depending on their job profiler and experience. Their salary may increase with polishing their skillset and gaining experience in the field. Listed below are some of the top profiles after Doctor of Medicine in Ayurveda with their average salary structure.
- Therapist:- INR 3Lakh Per Annum
- Drug Scientists:- INR 4.5 Lakh Per Annum
- Ayurvedic Doctor:- INR 7 Lakh Per Annum
- Pharmacy Manager:- INR 4 lakh Per Annum
FAQs on Doctor of Medicine in Ayurveda
Ans:- The average salary offered to Ayurvedic Doctor in India range from 3 to 8 lakh per annum, depending on the job profile and experience of the candidates.
Ans:- Doctor of Medicine in Ayurveda or Ayurveda Vachaspati is a three-year postgraduate course in the Indian medical system of Ayurveda.
Ans:- Yes, you can pursue Doctor of Medicine in Ayurveda after BAMS. All you have to do is appear and qualify for NEET PG entrance for this and select a subject for the MD course as per your interest in a particular field.
Reads Beyond MD in Ayurveda Course Under Courses Listing
- What Makes BA in Yoga a Specialized Course?
- What Alternative Medicine Courses is All About?
- MA in Yoga Offers Flooding Career Ops- Check Out Here!
- Could Graduating with BTech Biotechnology be Rewarding?
- Degree in M Pharma is the Most Prominent Program- Check!