Updated October 18, 2022
MA in Yoga or Master of Arts in Yoga is a two-year postgraduate degree course that provides knowledge about Yoga and its benefits. The program also focuses on training the students to develop essential yoga therapy skills to assist people in restoring their health and leading a fit lifestyle free of ailments.
Candidates aspiring to pursue this PG Course must have an undergraduate degree in Yoga or a related discipline with a minimum aggregate of 45% marks in order to be eligible for a MA in Yoga. However, the eligibility criteria for the program may differ from institute to institute.
Admission granted to this PG course at most colleges/universities is based on marks obtained by the candidate in their undergraduate degree, followed by a round personal interview. However, few institutions also conduct entrance examinations for granting access to the Program.
MA in Yoga Course Details
Below are some of the significant highlights of the Master of Arts in Yoga course.
|Course Name||MA in Yoga|
|Full-Form||Master of Arts in Yoga|
|Education Level||Post Graduate|
|Course Duration||Two years|
|Exam Pattern||Semester and Annual|
|Minimum Eligibility||Bachelor’s Degree in yoga or a related discipline with a minimum of 55% marks|
|Admission Process||Merit and Entrance Exam Based|
|Average Fee Incurred||INR 10K to 120K Per Year|
|Average Salary Offered||INR 2 to 5 Lakh Per Annum|
|Top Recruiting Sectors||Government & Private Schools, Yoga and Naturopathy colleges or institutions. ESIC General Hospital Naroda Ahmedabad, Hyatt Hotels Corporation, Central Council for Research in Homoeopathy, Centre Research Centers, Resorts, etc|
|Top Job Positions||Yoga Therapy Instructor, Gym Manager-cum-Instructor, Therapist, Yoga Trainer, Consultant Yoga Therapist, Panchakarma Therapist, Marketing Field Worker, Clinical Psychologist, Receptionist & Office Assistant, etc.|
|Higher Studies Options||PhD in Yoga, MPhil in Yoga, etc.|
MA in Yoga Eligibility Criteria
Listed below are the eligibility criteria aspirants must meet to get admission to the institutions that offer MA in Yoga courses.
- Aspirants must be bachelor’s degree holders in any stream from a recognized institution. Some universities also ask for a degree of BA Yoga/BSc Yoga or background in Yoga.
- They should have also secured a minimum of 50% marks in their graduate degree. Relaxation of 5% marks is also given to minorities in most universities.
- There are no age limit criteria for any yoga course, but, some universities have the upper age limit of the postgraduate course as 35 years.
M.A. in Yoga Admission Process
Admissions provided in colleges/universities of India that offer a MA in Yoga are either a Merit-based or entranced-based admission process. Institutions that follow an entrance-based admission process grant access to programs considering the marks obtained by the candidates in their graduate degrees. In contrast, one that follows an entranced-based admission process grants access to the program based on the performance of the candidates in the entrance test followed by a round of personal interviews.
M.A. Yoga Entrance Examinations
Admission to Master of Arts in Yoga is usually made based on the Merit of the candidates obtained in graduation. Therefore, national or university level entrance exams for the program are not in large number. However, most universities have their own written tests and formal examinations. Some of the popular entrance tests for the program are listed below.
- UPSEE (Uttar Pradesh State Entrance Examination)
- PUBDET (Presidency University Bachelor’s Degree Entrance Test)
- BHU UET (Banaras Hindu University Undergraduate Entrance Test)
- APU UG NET (Azim Premji University Undergraduate National Entrance Test)
- TS EAMCET (Telangana State Engineering, Agriculture & Medical Common Entrance Test)
Master of Arts in Yoga Syllabus
Master of Arts in Yoga is a two-year postgraduate degree program and one of the alternative medicine courses. The course syllabus of M.A. Yoga incorporates subjects that cover aspects like the Philosophy of Yoga, its History, Lineage with the Indian Society, Yoga according to various faiths, and much more. The Year-Wise break-up of the syllabus for the M.A. in Yoga program is tabulated below.
Particulars of MA in Yoga Syllabus
|First Year||Health and Yoga|
|Applications of Yoga|
|Consciousness & Yoga|
|Therapeutic Yoga Practice I|
|Basics of Yoga II – Basic Sanskrit|
|Theoretical Perspectives of Yoga|
|Basics of Yoga – Philosophy of Yoga|
|Basic Human Anatomy and Physiology|
|Basic Research Methodology and Statistics|
|Basic Psychological Processes and Disorders|
|Second Year||Case Studies|
|Message of Upanishads|
|Therapeutic Yoga Practice II|
|Advanced Techniques of Yoga|
|Traditions of Shramana Dhare|
|Patanjali Yoga Sutras and Shad Darshanas|
|Scientific Study of Yoga and Consciousness|
|Consciousness: Western & Interdisciplinary|
|Perspectives in Consciousness (Jainism, Buddhism, Sufism, Christianity)|
Important Books for MA Yoga Course
Master of Arts in Yoga is a three years Postgraduate program in the field of alternative medicine. Students go through various books that are the most essential aspects of any course. We have listed here a handful of books for the MA Yoga course.
- Yoga Anatomy- Leslie Kaminoff
- Yoga as Medicine- Timothy McCall
- Yoga: The Greater Tradition- David Frawley
- Light on Yoga: The Bible of Modern Yoga- B.K.S. Iyengar
- The Heart of Yoga: Developing a Personal Practice- T.K.V. Desikachar
- Yoga Sequencing: Designing Transformative Yoga Classes- Mark Stephens
- The Wisdom of Yoga: A Seeker’s Guide to Extraordinary Living- Stephen Cope
Top MA in Yoga Colleges in India
Various reputed universities and yoga institutions in India offer MA Yoga courses. Some of the leading universities and yoga institutions offering this PG course are listed below.
- Jiwaji University, Gwalior
- Shoolini University, Solan
- Sai Nath University, Ranchi
- Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya, Indore
- Tilak Maharashtra Vidyapeeth, Pune
- Rabindranath Tagore University, Bhopal
- Gujarat Vidyapith University, Ahmedabad
- Atal Bihari Vajpayee Hindi Vishwavidyalaya, Bhopal
- Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology, Bhubaneshwar
Master of Arts in Yoga Course Fees
The average fee for the Master of Arts in Yoga program at different institutions ranges from INR 10K to 120K per year. The fee structure for the program depends on the type of institution candidates have selected for admission. Government institutions charge a lesser tuition fee in comparison to private ones. For instance, the fee expenses for the program at Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology, a private institution, is roughly 120K per year. In contrast, at Atal Bihari Vajpayee Hindi Vishwavidyalaya, a government institution, it is approximately 14K per year.
Scope After MA in Yoga Course
The way people are adding Yoga to their lifestyle, it can be said that MA in Yoga has enormous career scope for the graduates in both private and public workforces. After completing this PG course, postgraduates can explore job opportunities in employment sectors like Yoga Colleges & Institutions, Yoga Research Centers, Health Clubs, Yoga & Pilates Studios, Special Needs Centers, Gyms and individual clients’ homes. Self-employment is also a decent career option, and MA Yoga candidates can establish their Yoga Schools and Studios and make a good profit.
Besides taking up jobs and making a profit, candidates can also opt for a higher degree education. Options, in this case, can be PhD Yoga and many others. Studying Yoga at a higher level opens up various job opportunities with handsome salary packages in the fields like Research, Management, Hospitals, Academics, Administration, Consultation, etc.
MA in Yoga Jobs and Career Options
With a postgraduate degree in Yoga, students are offered various jobs with decent salary packages in employment sectors like Government and Private Schools, Yoga Colleges & Institutions, Yoga Research Centers, Hotels & Resorts, Gym and Fitness Centers, Health Club, etc. Some popular profiles MA Yoga candidates can aspire to are listed below.
- Yoga Experts
- Yoga Therapist
- Yoga Instructor
- Yoga Studio Manager
- Yoga Aerobics Instructor
- Yoga Advisor/Consultant
- Publication Officer (Yoga)
- Yoga & Naturopathy Research Officer
Postgraduates in MA Yoga Salary
The initial average salary offered to the postgraduates in M.A. Yoga ranges from 2 to 5 lakh per annum, depending on their job profile, job location and organization. However, their salaries can increase with gaining some experience in the field. Listed below are some of the top profiles available M.A. in Yoga Candidates with an average salary structure. The data below is just for reference, and the salary may differ.
- Yoga Therapist:- INR 3.5 Lakh Per Annum
- Yoga Instructor:- :- INR 2 Lakh Per Annum
- Yoga Studio Manager:- INR 3 Lakh Per Annum
- Yoga Advisor/Consultant:- INR 4 Lakh Per Annum
- Yoga Aerobics Instructor:- INR 2.5 Lakh Per Annum
- Yoga & Naturopathy Research Officer:- INR 2.5 Lakh Per Annum
FAQs on Master of Arts in Yoga Course
Ans:- To be eligible for a MA in Yoga, aspirants must be an undergraduate degree holder in Yoga or a related discipline with a minimum of 45% aggregate score. However, the eligibility for the program may vary from institution to institution. Some institutions also conduct on-spot physical tests to check candidates’ yoga skills.
Ans:- By seeing the benefits of Yoga and how people are bringing it into their habits, career opportunities in this field are increasing in India and abroad. Post pursuing the MA Yoga course, candidates can work in health clubs, Yoga & Pilates studios, special needs centers, private gyms and in individual clients’ homes.
Ans:- Numerous Universities/colleges across India offer MA in Yoga Program. Some of the top MA in Yoga Colleges are as follows.
· Gujarat Vidyapith, Ahmedabad
· Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
· Tilak Maharashtra Vidyapeeth, Pune
· Maharshi Dayanand University, Rohtak
· Atal Bihari Vajpayee Hindi Vishwavidyalaya, Bhopal
· Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology, Bhubaneswar