The University Grants Commission holds National Eligibility Test (UGC-NET) every year at various centers across the Country. The moment UGC-NET (2022) results will be out, the number of students in India who aspire to pursue higher education will start to apply for a Ph.D. admission. But before applying to the Ph.D. program, the students must understand every minor thing involved in the admission procedures of the program because they face a lot of confusion regarding its eligibility criteria and associated kinds of stuff. As UGC has recently revised the admission rule for Ph.D. programs in India, one important thing they must know is “Is NET Compulsory for PhD?”.
This article discusses the nuances of the revised norms proposed by the University Grants Commission (UGC) for Ph.D. admissions for students to understand what exactly UGC NET or Ph.D. is and what requires for access to the Ph.D. program. So, if you are a Ph.D. aspirant, please go through the complete article; it will help you to a large extent.
Updates on Revised Rules of UGC for Ph.D. Admissions 2022
The University Grants Commission has developed a draft of an amendment to the UGC (Minimum Standards and Procedures for Award of Ph.D. Degree) Regulations, 2016, proposing revised norms regarding Admission procedure, Eligibility, duration, and standard of the PhD program. The draft was approved on the 10th of March 2022 and may be called the University Grants Commission (Minimum Standards and Procedure for Award of PhD Degree) Regulations, 2022.
According to the revised norms proposed by UGC, candidates holding four-year/eight-semester bachelor’s degrees with a minimum CGPA of 7.5 (on a scale of 10) or equivalent grade point will be eligible for admission to the PhD. Program. Now the duration of the Ph.D. program will be 2 to 6 years, and the extension beyond the above limits shall be subject to the pertinent provisions outlined in the Statute or Ordinance of the specific Institution concerned but not for two years.
The candidates will have to qualify for a NET/NET-JRF or national entrance exam or any test conducted at the level of individual universities for admission. UGC has also proposed in the latest draft of the amendment to reserve 60% of the available seats for the National Eligibility Test (NET) or Junior Research Fellowship (NET-JRF) qualified candidates and 40 % seats for university/ common entrance test qualified. The changes are being introduced to meet specific objectives outlined under NEP (National Education Policy) 2020.
What is a PhD (Doctor of Philosophy)?
A Ph.D. or Doctor of Philosophy is a doctoral research degree, the highest academic qualification/degree awarded to students/ candidates who complete and submit their dissertation or thesis. This doctoral degree usually takes three to five years (two to six years Under NEP 2020) to be completed in any accredited institution. The program involves doing research and writing a thesis offering an original contribution to the subjects of candidates/students.
What is UGC-NET (National Eligibility Test)?
The University Grant Commission National Eligibility Test, commonly known as UGC NET, is a national-level examination conducted to determine the eligibility of the candidates for the post of Assistant Professor and Junior Research Fellowship (JRF). On behalf of the University Grants Commission, the National Testing Agency administers the test. Candidates who successfully pass the UGC NET become eligible to apply for different Assistant Professor jobs in various Universities and Colleges. And those who qualify for NET with JRF get a stipend and other facilities granted by the UGC for pursuing their Ph.D. After completing a Ph.D., candidates can apply for Assistant Professor Jobs.
Requirement of PhD Under NEP to be an Assistant Professor
As per the revised norms proposed by the University Grant Commissions (UGC), the mandated necessity of a Ph.D. degree for recruiting an Assistant Professor has been postponed till 2023. So, the aspirants applying for the post of Assistant Professor do not need a Ph.D. for the time being. They can apply for the position based on their UGC NET scores till the determined period. This decision will be a massive relief for the candidates whose research work came to a complete standstill for almost one and a half years due to COVID- 19 crisis. Those who couldn’t complete their PhD because of the pandemic have asked the government for relaxation this year regarding eligibility norms.
Eligibility Criteria for Admission to the PhD Under NEP
Listed below are the eligibility criteria that students must meet for admission to a Ph.D.program under the new education policy.
- Candidates who hold Master’s or MPhil degrees in respective subjects with 55% marks from a recognized University will be eligible for the PhD. Program.
- Those whose M.Phil. dissertation has been evaluated and recommended for award of the degree may also be admitted to the PhD program on a provisional basis even before the viva-voice or final defense.
- Candidates with a four-year/eight-semester Bachelor’s degree in Research with a minimum CGPA of 7.5 (on a scale of 10) or equivalent grade point can apply for the PhD program.
- Candidates who qualify for a NET/NET-JRF or national entrance exam or equivalent tests conducted by Universities/Institutions will be eligible for the program.
- The NET/JRF qualified candidates have to pass interviews/viva-voce rounds. In contrast, candidates who have qualified institute/university level entrance test must pass both the written test and interview round to be eligible for the program.
- Candidates seeking admission to the PhD in specialized fields like engineering and technology require a valid Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) mandatorily.
Is NET compulsory for PhD Under New Education Policy?
Now, it’s time to discuss the most crucial question, “Is NET Compulsory for PhD?” under UGC regulations 2022. As per the revised norms proposed by the UGC for admission to the Ph.D. program, all universities/institutes shall admit PhD. Scholars through a National Eligibility Test (NET) or National Entrance Test or equivalent tests conducted by Universities/Institutions. But, 60 percent of the total seat of the academic year will be reserved for NET/JRF qualified candidates, and the remaining 40 percent will be for the university/common entrance test qualified students.
However, it is always advisable for PhD aspirants to qualify for UGC NET/JRF for better opportunities or jobs and promotions in the future. Candidates who qualify for a national-level eligibility test like UGC NET, their standing and merit are determined by the recruiters or universities on a national level which provides more accreditation to the candidates. The most important thing is the Ph.D. courses are expensive, and qualifying for JRF helps the candidates financially. Under JRF, candidates get a stipend and other facilities like HRA.
FAQs related to “Is NET Compulsory for PhD Under NEP?”
Ans:- As per the UGC Regulations 2022 for admission to the Ph.D. program, all universities/institutes shall admit Ph.D. Scholars through a National Eligibility Test (NET) or National Entrance Test, or equivalent tests conducted by Universities/Institutions. But, 60 percent of the total seat of the academic year will be reserved for NET/JRF qualified candidates, and the remaining 40 percent will be for the university/common entrance test qualified students.
Ans:- Candidates who hold a four-year/eight-semester bachelor’s degree with a minimum CGPA of 7.5 on the scale of 10 or equivalent grade point are eligible for a PhD program. UGC has also proposed in the latest draft of the amendment to reserve 60% of the available seats for the National Eligibility Test (NET) or Junior Research Fellowship (NET-JRF) qualified candidates and 40 % seats for university/ common entrance test qualified.
Ans:- A candidate who has completed MPhil in full-time mode with relevant course work and is pursuing research in the same field, he/she may be given an exemption from the course work in the Ph.D. program on the recommendation of the Research Committee.
Reads Beyond ‘Is NET Compulsory for Ph.D.‘ Under Awareness Section
- What are the Different Schools of Jurisprudence and Their Doctrines?
- In What Ways Analytical School of Jurisprudence Differ from Others?
- What Made Birsa Munda The Biggest Tribal Leader and Freedom Fighter?
- How Do the Munda Tribes Stand Out in Terms of Culture and Tradition?
- Nature of Objective Questions On Indian Art and Culture to Check with