Updated November 6, 2022
MSc Botany full form Master of Science in Botany is a two-year postgraduate course in plant science. It is one of the most popular postgraduate-level courses among bio-science students. The course covers every aspect of the entire plant kingdom and plant physiology, along with some important topics related to genetics & biotechnology, cell biology, microbiology, and ecology.
To be eligible for applying to the course, candidates must have a bachelor’s degree in botany/biological sciences or other relevant disciplines from a recognized university with a minimum aggregate of 50% marks. Admission to MSc Botany courses in top universities and Science colleges is primarily made through entrance exams, but some universities also grant merit-based access.
Some most reputed colleges in India that offer Master’s courses in Botany include Miranda House (Delhi), Sri Venkateswara College (Delhi), Osmania University (Telangana), Hindu College (Delhi), Hansraj College (Delhi), Fergusson College (Maharashtra), etc. The average fee for pursuing this course in India ranges from INR 30K to 1LPA, depending on the selection of institutes.
Major MSc Botany Course Details
Mentioned below are the key highlights of the Master of Science in Botany course, such as course duration, eligibility, fees, entrance exams, jobs, salary, etc.
|Course Name||MSc Botany|
|Full-Form||Master of Science in Botany|
|Minimum Eligibility||Bachelor’s degree in Botany/Biological sciences or other relevant disciplines from a recognized university with a minimum of 50% marks.|
|Admission Process||Both Entrance Exams and Merit Based|
|Top Entrance Exams||DUET, BHU-PET, AUCET, CUCET, LPUNEST, TUEE, etc.|
|Average Course Fee||INR 30K to 1 LPA|
|Average Initial Salary||INR 2 to 10 LPA|
|Top Employment Areas||Drug Companies, Nurseries, Biotechnology Firms, Food Companies, Oil Industries, Lumber or Paper Companies, Biological Supply Houses, etc.|
|Top Job Profiles||Teacher and professor, Medical Coder, Data Analyst, Incident Manager, and Corporate Communications Manager.|
M.Sc. in Botany Eligibility Criteria
Candidates seeking admission to the MSc Botany program must meet the minimum eligibility criteria discussed below.
- The candidates must have a bachelor’s degree in Botany/Biological sciences (Like BSc Botany) or other relevant disciplines from a recognized university.
- They should have also secured a minimum aggregate of 50% marks at their graduate level. However, the minimum marks criteria may vary from institute to institute.
- Candidates also need to clear entrance exams to secure admission to the college of their choice because most reputed universities conduct university and national-level entrance tests to offer access to this MSc Botany course. However, the cutoff of entrance exams varies from institute to institute.
Popular MSc Botany Entrance Exam
The admissions to the MSc Botany course in top institutes are entranced-based. Many colleges and universities offer access based on entrance exams score. Some popular entrance exams for the course are listed below.
- DUET (Delhi University Entrance Test)
- TUEE (Tezpur University Entrance Exam)
- CUCET (Common University Entrance Test)
- AUCET (Andhra University Common Entrance Test)
- OUCET (Osmania University Common Entrance Test)
- IPU CET (Indraprastha University Common Entrance Test)
- BHU-PET (Banaras Hindu University Postgraduate Entrance Test)
- BITSAT (Birla Institute of Technology and Science Admission Test)
- LPUNEST (Lovely Professional University National Entrance and Scholarship Test)
Syllabus for MSc Botany Course
The MSc in Botany is a two-year postgraduate course comprising four semesters of study. The course syllabus incorporates many theoretical classes, lab work, hands-on practical training, workshops, etc. The syllabus for this course may vary from institute to institute, but mostly it remains the same in almost every institution that offers this PG course. Below is the semester-wise breakup of the syllabus for the MSc Botany course.
Particulars of MSc Botany Syllabus
|Semesters||Subjects and Topics of Study/Practical works|
|Algae and Bryophytes|
|Fungi and Plant Viruses|
|Pteridophytes, Gymnosperms, and Paleobotany|
|Semester II||Genetics and Cytogenetics|
|Soil Sciences and Phytogeography|
|Angiosperms-I (Taxonomy and Biosystematics)|
|Angiosperms-II (Morphology, Embryology, and Anatomy)|
|Semester III||Plant Ecology|
|Semester IV||Elective Papers|
|Biostatics Cytology and Plant Breeding|
|Plant Resource Utilization and Conservation|
|Molecular Genetics, Genetic Engineering, and Biotechnology|
Top MSc Botany Colleges in India
Numerous reputed colleges and universities in India offer this MSc Botany course. A few of the top among those colleges and universities are listed below.
- Hindu College, Delhi
- Miranda House, Delhi
- Hansraj College, Delhi
- Bethune College, Kolkata
- St. Teresa’s College, Kerala
- Sacred Heart College, Kerala
- Osmania University, Telangana
- Sri Venkateswara College, Delhi
- Fergusson College, Maharashtra
- Mahatma Gandhi University, Kerala
Scope after MSc Botany Course
The MSc Botany course has a vast scope that provides graduates with a wide range of career options in different areas like Drug Companies, Nurseries, Biotechnology Firms, Food Companies, Oil Industries, Lumber or Paper Companies, Biological Supply Houses, etc. The graduates can be hired for different reputable job roles like Botanist, Floriculturist, Ecologist, Environmentalist, Plant Conversationalist, Researcher, Botany professor, etc.
The majority of the issues that the world is currently dealing with have a connection to botany. With a better grasp of botany, issues like desertification, climate change, and forests may all be easily resolved. Since most countries are working to solve these issues, many job prospects for MSc Botany candidates are created.
After completing an MSc Botany degree, one can also go for higher education or advanced degree courses. And some top options are MPhil in Botany and Ph.D. in Botany. The former is a 2-year pre-doctoral course, while the latter spans 3 to 5 years.
MSc Botany Jobs and Career options
Many jobs and career options are available to the graduates after the MSc Botany course. This PG course opens a broader range of job opportunities in different sectors. Graduates of MSc botany have a wide range of employment options in both the public and private sectors.
The public sector includes employment opportunities in the areas like public health services, national park services, the department of agriculture, forest service, departments of conservation, and land management, while in the private sector, the opportunities are in the oil industry, food companies, seed companies, fruit growers, and biotechnology firms.
Below are some top jobs and career options that MSc botany candidates can aspire to after completing the program.
- Botany professor
- Plant Conversationalist
Postgraduates of MSc Botany salary in India
The salary figure of the MSc botany postgraduates differs depending upon the skills, techniques, and work experience the student holds. However, the average initial salary offered to graduates in India ranges from INR 2 to 10 LPA. Some of the most popular and high-salary jobs for M.Sc. Botany postgraduates in India are listed below.
- Ecologist:- INR 4 Lakh Per Annum
- Botanists:- INR 6 Lakh Per Annum
- Taxonomists:- INR 5 Lakh Per Annum
- Microbiologist:- INR 3 Lakh Per Annum
- Environmentalist:- INR 10 Lakh Per Annum
- Research Assistant:- INR 3 Lakh Per Annum
FAQs on Master of Science in Botany Course
Ans:- Some top job profiles that candidates can aspire to after completing or M.Sc. in Botany include Ecologists, Project Managers, Environmental or Safety specialists, Scientific Researchers, Quality Control Officers, Lab Technicians, etc.
Ans:- To be eligible for applying to the course, candidates must have a bachelor’s degree in botany/biological sciences or other relevant disciplines from a recognized university with a minimum aggregate of 50% marks. Admission to MSc Botany courses in top universities and Science colleges is primarily made through entrance exams, but some universities also grant merit-based access.
Ans:- Some best countries to study MSc botany are as follows:
Reads Beyond M.Sc. Botany Under Courses Listing
- MSc Physiology Offers Flooding Career Ops- Check Out!
- Could Graduating with BSc Biochemistry be Truly Rewarding?
- How Alternative Medicine Courses is Changing the Healthcare?
- What Makes Ph.D. Pathology Specialized Course With Great Scope?
- Degree in M.D. Pharmacology is the Most Prominent Program- Check!