Updated October 18, 2022
MJMC, full form Master of Journalism & Mass Communication, is a two-year postgraduate program mass communication course of two years duration. The program is concerned with training the students to convey thoughts, ideas, and information to a large audience through mass media, including newspapers, radio, television, films, etc.
The course also imparts advanced theoretical and practical knowledge of various media professions such as journalism, advertising, event management, public relations, etc. The key skill required to make a better career in the media profession is the skill of expression (written or orally); therefore, the program also helps the candidates to build their careers in the field of research.
Candidates aspiring to pursue MJMC Course must meet certain parameters to be eligible for the program. The eligibility criteria required for the program is that the aspirants must be a Bachelor’s degree holder in the related discipline from a recognized institution with a minimum aggregate of 50% marks.
MJMC Course Details
We have mentioned the key highlight of the course in the table below. So, checkout to know the important aspects of a Master of Journalism & Mass communication.
|Course Name||MJMC Course|
|Full Name||Master of Journalism and Mass Communication|
|Duration of the course||Two years|
|Education Level||Post Graduate|
|Minimum Educational Qualification||Bachelor’s degree in the related discipline with a minimum of 50% aggregate|
|Admission Process||Entranced and Merit-based|
|Entrance exams||IPU-CET, SSPU Entrance Exam|
|Annual Fee Range||INR 30,000 – INR 3,00,000|
|Job Options after the program||Film Director, Feature Writer, Columnist, Proofreader, Journalist, Public Relations Officer, Screen Writer etc|
|Top Recruiter||Indian Express, LT Finance, Tata Steel, Times of India Group, HT Media, etc.|
|Average Salary Package||INR 4 to 9 LPA|
MJMC Course Eligibility Criteria
Below are the essential eligibility criteria to pursue the Master of Journalism & Mass Communication course. However, the eligibility criteria for the program may differ depending on the norms of the institutes.
Candidates should have obtained a bachelor’s degree in the related discipline from a recognized institute, and BJMC graduates are given first Preference.
They should have scored a minimum aggregate of 50%-60% in their graduation degree.
In some cases, candidates with a postgraduate degree can also apply for the Master of Journalism and Mass Communication.
Admission Process for MJMC Course
Admission offered to the MJMC course is made through either merit-based or entrance-based. The significant points related to the admission process are discussed below.
Entrance Based Admission
Processes involved in admission at the Colleges and universities that follow Entrance Exams are as follows:
- Candidates need to register for the entrance test on the official website of the respective institute.
- After examination, the institutions release a cut-off list on their respective official website.
- Candidates need to check whether they made it to the cut-off list; if yes, they will appear for Group Discussions and a round of Personal Interviews.
- And finally, the institutes allot admission seats to candidates based on their overall performances.
Merit Based Admission
A few colleges offer direct admission to this course based on marks scored in the qualifying examination (Bachelor’s degree). The stepwise admission process is discussed below.
- Students need to apply for admission to respective institutes through an online mode.
- In due course, institutes release a cut-off list on their official website.
- Candidates who clear the cut off list are called for a Personal Interview Round.
- And at last, candidates will be shortlisted to be offered admission to the course.
MJMC Course Entrance Exams
Most of the institutions that offer MJMC courses provide admission to the program based on an entrance exam. Some of the popular entrance tests for the program are mentioned below.
- SSPU-ET (Symbiosis Skills and Professional University)
- IPU-CET (Indraprastha University Common Entrance Test)
- MASCOM-ET (Manorama School of Communication Entrance Test)
- XIC OET (Xavier’s Institute of Communications Online Entrance Test)
- IIMC (Indian Institute of Mass Communication Entrance Examination)
Master of Journalism & Mass Communication Syllabus
Tabulated below is the year-wise break-up of the MJMC syllabus, so check out below to know what subjects and topics are taught in the Master of Journalism & Mass Communication program.
Particulars of MJMC Course syllabus
|First Year||Society and Media|
|Media Law and Ethics|
|Print and electronic Media|
|Advertising and public Relations|
|Basic Principles of Communication|
|History of Journalism and Mass Media|
|Second Year||Film Appreciation|
|Human Rights and Media|
|Research in Communication|
|Writing for Electronic Media Channel|
|Reporting For Electronic Media Channels|
|Content Writing for New Media and Web|
Top MJMC Colleges in India
Enlisted down are some of the top institutions in India that offer Master of journalism and Mass Communication programs.
- Bharathiar University, Coimbatore
- Mahatma Gandhi University, Kerala
- Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune
- Rabindranath Tagore University, Bhopal
- Rabindranath Tagore University, Bhopal
- The Maharaja Sayajirao University, Baroda
- Indira Gandhi National Tribal University, Anuppur
- Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, Vadodara
- Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University, Lucknow
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, New Delhi
Career Scope After MJMC Course
Post pursuing the MJMC program, candidates can explore various professions in different employment areas such as public relations organizations, advertising companies, TV News channels, Radio Channels, etc. Graduating with an MJMC degree enable candidates to make their career Journalism field as an Editor, Content Writer, Journalist, Correspondent etc. The career avenues for MJMC candidates do not end here; several areas, both in the private and the public sector, are open for MJMC postgraduate where they can get jobs in different roles.
Choosing to be a professional is not the only option for the MJMC Postgraduates; some topmost further Studies Options are also available after completing the Master of journalism and mass communication program. These higher studies include PhD Journalism & Mass Communication and MPhil in Journalism & Mass Communication.
Job Profiles After MJMC Program
Many job options for MJMC candidates are available in numerous employment areas. Some of the popular job profiles after Master of Journalism and Mass Communication postgraduates are given below.
- News Analyst
- Content Writer
- Investigate Journalist
- Newspaper Columnist
- Public Relation Officer
Master of Journalism & Mass Communication Salary
A Master of Journalism & Mass Communication postgraduate’s average salary package ranges between 4 to 9 lakh per annum. Differences in the salary package of the graduates depend on job profiles, experience and skillset. Below listed are some of the top Job Profiles after the MJMC Program with their average salary package. The data below is just for reference, and the actual salary may vary.
- Editor:- INR 7 Lakh Per Annum
- Journalist:- INR 6 Lakh Per Annum
- Content Writer:- INR 6 lakh Per Annum
- Correspondent:- INR 7 Lakh Per Annum
- Photojournalist:- INR 5 Lakh Per Annum
- Investigate Journalist:- INR 9 Lakh Per Annum
- Newspaper Columnist:- INR 8 Lakh Per Annum
Mostly Asked Questions on Master of Journalism & Mass Communication
Ans:- MJMC, full form Master of Journalism and Mass Communication, is a two-year postgraduate degree program that comprises four semesters of study. The course revolves around studying different mass-communication such as newspapers, magazines, television, etc.
Ans:- Some of the top Job roles after Masters in Journalism and Mass Communication (MJMC) are Correspondent, Art Director, Columnist, News Analyst, Journalist, Floor Manager, Fashion Photographer, Public Relations Officer, etc.
Ans:- Yes, a master of journalism & mass communication is a good career option that provides the candidates with various employment options like Radio, PR, Journalism, Film making and so on.
Ans:- One who wants to pursue MJMC must have a bachelor’s degree in any stream, be it Arts, Science, Agriculture, Management, Law, or Commerce, from a recognized institute can apply for the course.