Updated October 18, 2022
In the era of digitalization, where communication has become accessible at your fingertips, and a wide range of online platforms are available to the scroll of our screens. The discipline of Mass communication guarantees huge career scope for the students. There is an array of specialized courses available in the discipline of Mass communication, and one such prominent program is BJMC Course.
BJMC Course, full form Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication, is a three-year undergraduate degree course that comprises six semesters of study. The program deals with training the students to refine and develop various Journalistic skills in mass media such as newspapers, television, magazines, etc.
For candidates interested in the events that occur around the world and who have a great skill of expression, the BJMC course is perfect for them. One aspiring for a Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication can apply for the program after completing the 12th in any stream from a recognized board with a minimum aggregate of 50-60% marks.
BJMC Course Details
We have mentioned in the table below some of the essential details about the BJMC course.
|Course Name||BJMC Course|
|Full name||Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication|
|Course Duration||Three Years|
|Exam Pattern of the Course||Semester-wise|
|Course Type||Degree Program|
|Selection Process||Entranced and Merit-Based|
|Minimum Educational Qualification||12th in any stream with minimum aggregate of 50-60%|
|Minimum Age required||17 Years|
|Annual Fee Range||30 thousand to 3 Lakh|
|Initial salary Package After BJMC Course||3.5 to 10 LPA|
BJMC Course Eligibility Criteria
Candidates must meet the below-mentioned parameters to be eligible for the Bachelor of Journalism & Mass Communication Program.
- The aspirant should have completed 12th or equivalent in any stream from a recognized board
- They should have scored a minimum of 50- 60% marks in their 12th Board examination.
- They should be a minimum of 17 years of age.
BJMC Admission Process
Listed below are the processes involved in admission to the BJMC program. However, the process may differ from institution to institution.
- Most colleges conduct their own entrance test followed by a round of personal interviews and group discussions.
- And based on the overall performance of the candidates, colleges allocate them admission seats.
- Some colleges also provide direct admission to the program based on merit.
- In the direct admission process, the score obtained by the candidates in their 12th board is taken into consideration.
Popular BJMC Course Entrance Exams
Leading institutes in India conduct entrance exams to offer admission to candidates in the BJMC course. Some of the popular entrance tests for the program are listed below.
- DUET (Delhi University entrance Test)
- AUCET (Andhra University Common Entrance Test)
- JMICET (Jamia Millia Islamia Common Entrance Test)
- Xavier Institute of Mass Communication Entrance Test)
- IPUCET (Indraprastha University Common Entrance Test)
- Symbiosis Institute of Journalism and Mass Communication Entrance Test
- IIMC ET (Indian Institute of Journalism & Mass communication Entrance Test)
- LPU NEST (Lovely Professional University National Entrance and Scholarship Test)
Year-Wise BJMC Course Syllabus
Tabulated below is the year-wise break-up of the BJMC Course syllabus. The syllabus may differ from institution to institution, but mentioned below is followed in most institutes that offer this course.
Particulars of Bachelor’s in Journalism and Mass Communication syllabus
|First Year||Editing Theory|
|History of Media|
|English Literature I & II|
|Writing for Media Theory|
|Writing for Media Practical|
|Fundamental of Journalism|
|Fundamental of Computers|
|Fundamental of Communication Skills|
|Second Year||Public Relation Theory|
|Public Relation Practical|
|Radio Broadcasting Theory|
|Advertising Theory & Practical|
|TV Broadcasting Theory & Practical|
|Photojournalism Theory & Practical|
|Third Year||Project Work|
|Media Law & Ethics|
|Basic Media Research|
|Environment & Media|
|Advanced Media Research|
|Internet & New Media Theory I|
|Internet and New Media Theory II|
|Magazine Journalism Theory & Practical|
Top BJMC Colleges in India
Enlisted are some of the top institutes in India that offer a Bachelor of Journalism & Mass Communication Program.
- University of Delhi
- Amity University, Kolkata
- Christ University, Bangalore
- Sambalpur University Odisha
- Chandigarh University, Punjab
- Amity School of Communication, Noida
- Institute of Management Studies, Noida
- International Institute of Mass Media, Delhi
- Indira Gandhi National Tribal University, MP
- Manipal Institute of Communications, Manipal
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, Delhi
- Vivekananda Institute of Professional Studies, Delhi
- Symbiosis Institute of Media & Communication, Pune
- National Institute of Mass Communication and Journalism, Gujrat
BJMC Course Fee Structure
Annual fee charges for the program at different institution ranges between 30000 to 3 Lakh Per Annum. The course’s fee structure differences depend on the institutes’ authority and education quality. The fee expenses at the private institution are comprehensively more than the government institutions.
BJMC Graduates Career Options
After completing the program, job options for BJMC graduates are innumerable in both the Private and Government sectors. Candidates get employed in various employment sectors like Advertising agencies, News Agencies, broadcasting corporations, Journals, Radio telecasting agencies, Tv channels, Newspaper agencies, etc.
Candidates can also opt for higher degree education in a related field like Master of Journalism & Mass Communication, MBA, MPhil, Ph.D. These advanced courses help the candidates broaden their horizons with better employment opportunities. After pursuing a higher degree, candidates are offered better job roles with a handsome salary package.
BJMC Course Job Prospects
Listed below are the top Job roles offered to the candidates after completing the Bachelor of Journalism & Mass Communication.
- Radio Jockey
- Video Jockey
- News Analyst
- Media Consultant
- TV Correspondent
- Broadcast Producer
- Fashion Photographer
- Social Media Manager
- Public Relations Specialist
- Content Marketing Manager
BJMC Graduates Salary
Here is a list of top job profiles after completing the BJMC course with their average salary. The salary of the graduates differs depending on factors like Job profiles, Knowledge, skillset, recruiter, etc. The data below is only for reference, and the actual salary may vary.
- Journalist:- INR 4-7 Lakhs Per Annum
- News Analyst:- INR 7-10 Lakhs Per Annum
- Photojournalist:- INR 3-5 Lakhs Per Annum
- Media Consultant:- INR 6-8 Lakhs Per Annum
- Social Media Manager:- INR 4-6 Lakhs Per Annum
- Public Relations Specialist :- INR 6-10 Lakhs Per Annum
- Content Marketing Manager:- INR 8-15 Lakhs Per Annum
Mostly Asked Questions on BJMC Course
Ans:- It completely depends upon the passion and interest of the candidate. If someone loves communicating his ideas and thoughts among the masses, then a Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication (BJMC) is the right choice.
Ans:- The average salary offered to BJMC graduates ranges between 3.5 to 10 lakh per annum. The salary differences of the graduates depend upon factors like Job Profile, Experience, Skillset, and recruiter.
Ans:- Yes, BJMC is a three-year undergraduate course for candidates who have completed their 12th from a recognized board with a minimum aggregate of 50-60% marks. And their age should be minimum of 17 years.