Updated October 18, 2022
BSc in Forestry, full form Bachelor of Science in Forestry, is a four-year undergraduate program that comprises eight equal semesters. The program’s objective is to provide knowledge and training on Forestry management. The forestry management includes managing forests, administering new plantations, maintaining old plantations and restoring other natural resources.
BSc in Forestry promises comprehensive career options. The BSc Forestry graduates can work as a Nursery Manager, Farming Manager, Agri-Credit Manager, Farming Manager, Assistant Manager or teacher at a public or private institute. The average salary of the Bachelor of Science in Forestry graduates ranges between 3 to 7 lakhs per annum.
Candidates aspiring to the BSc Forestry program must have cleared class 12th or equivalent from a recognised board with a minimum aggregate of 50% marks. Admission to BSc Physics is both merit-based and entrance exams-based. The average annual fees for the program stand around 20 to 60 thousand depending on the institutions students choose to study in.
BSc in Forestry Syllabus
The year-wise breakup of the syllabus for the BSc in Forestry program is mentioned below. The subjects or disciplines might differ from institution to institution. Still, most of the course concepts remain the same in almost all the institutions offering the Bachelor of Science in Forestry program.
Particulars of Bachelor of Science in Forestry Syllabus
|Treed Seed Technology|
|Introduction to Geology|
|Principles of Forest Economics|
|Introduction to Forest Foil Science|
|Fundamental of Extension Education|
|Second Year||Working Plan|
|General and Forest Microbiology|
|Third year||Forest Utilization|
|Logging and Ergonomics|
|Forest Soil Survey and Land Use|
|Wood Seasoning and Preservation|
BSc Forestry Eligibility Criteria
Like any other BSc Course, BSc in Forestry also requires specific eligibility criteria to be fulfilled by the candidates. However, the eligibility criteria for any particular courses may vary from institution to institution. But, mentioned below are the minimum eligibility criteria most institutions ask for granting admission to the B.Sc. in Forestry course.
- The aspirant must have completed 12th or equivalent from a recognised board.
- They should have also secured the minimum aggregate of 50 % of marks in their 12th board examination.
- The Diploma holders in the respective field with the required percentage can also apply for the program.
BSc Forestry Admission process
Admission to B.Sc. Forestry is made in two ways, either based on merit or entrance exam, depending on the institution candidates choose to study in. Below mentioned are the complete admission process for the program.
- Merit-Based:- In this mode, candidates directly get admission to the courses based on the score candidates obtained in their qualifying examination (12th board examination). Here the candidates need to fill out the application forms available in any medium (online or offline). The application should be filled with required details and accuracy, and necessary documents should be attached with it. After that, institutions shortlist the Candidates based on their 12th board score.
- Entrance Based:- In this mode, candidates get admission to the course based on their performance in the entrance examinations. Various national, state and university level entrance exams are conducted across India. Here, the candidates need to apply and appear for the entrance exams. After completion of entrance exams, candidates who secure cut off marks or above are called for a further selection process the includes Personal interviews and Group discussions. Based on the overall performance of the candidates, the institution allocates admission seats to the qualified candidates accordingly.
BSc Forestry Entrance Exams
Various national level, state level and university level entrance exams are conducted to make admission to the BSC Forestry Course. Some of the popular entrance Tests for a Bachelor of Science in Forestry are Enlisted down.
- Bachelor of Science in Forestry Program.
- KCET (Karnataka Common Entrance Test)
- CG PAT (Chattisgarh Pre-Agriculture Test)
- MH CET (Maharashtra Common Entrance Test)
- OUAT (Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology)
- ICAR-ET (Indian Council of Agricultural Research-Entrance Test)
- JCECE (Jharkhand Combined Entrance Competitive Examination Board)
Top BSc Forestry Colleges in India
Colleges that offer BSc Forestry courses to qualified students are in no number across India. Listed below are some of the top colleges that provide BSc Forestry courses.
- Mewar University, Rajasthan
- Himalayan Institute of Technology, Dehradun
- Guru Ghasidas Vishwavidyalaya, Chhattisgarh
- Jawaharlal Nehru Krishi Vishwavidyalaya, Madhya Pradesh
- Vasantrao Nair Marathwada Krishi Vidyapeeth, Maharashtra
- Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology, Bhubaneswar
- North Eastern Regional Institute of Science and Technology, Itanagar
- Dolphin PG Institute of Biomedical and Natural Sciences, Uttarakhand
- Narendra Deva University of Agriculture and Technology, Uttar Pradesh
- Institute of Media Management, Technology, and Agrosciences, Uttarakhand
BSc Forestry Fees Expense
The average fees for the B.Sc Forestry program can stand around 20 to 50 thousand per annum, entirely depending on the authority and standard of colleges students choose to study in. The fee expense for the course at a government institution may be more or less than a private institution, and it also varies depending on the institution’s reputation. For instance, the annual fee expense for a BSc in forestry at the Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology is approximately 20 thousand. And at the same time, at Narendra Deva University of Agriculture and Technology is around 45 thousand.
Bachelor’s in Forestry Career Scope
Graduates from B.Sc in Forestry can work both in the public and private sectors. Aspirants can work with government organisations like the Indian Council of Forestry Research & Education and various affiliated Forestry Research Institutes such as the Institute of Social Forestry, Eco-Rehabilitation, Forest Research Institute etc. On top of that, the popular employment sectors that offer high paying jobs to BSc Forestry graduates are Forest Departments, Zoological Parks, Horticulture Departments, Wildlife Research Institutes, etc.
Apart from choosing to start a professional journey, the B.Sc. Forestry Graduates can also opt for higher studies in the related field such as MSc Forestry Program. The MSc degree in forestry enables the candidates to broaden their career aspects and knowledge in forestry and its use. Colleges offering this course grant admissions to MSc courses based on entrance exams.
BSc Forestry jobs Opportunities
Graduating with BSc in Forestry creates innumerable employment opportunities with lucrative salaries for the candidates. They are recruited in both the private and government sectors. Various employment sectors such as Zoological parks, Wildlife range, Wildlife research institutes, Indian Council of Forestry Research and Education, Corporates having their plantations for timbering, National parks & sanctuaries, Forest nurseries, Wildlife department, etc., offer high-paying Jobs to B.Sc. forestry graduates. Enlisted down are some popular job profiles candidates can aspire to after completing the Bachelor of Science in Forestry course.
- School Teacher
- Nursery Manager
- Farming Manager
- Assistant Manager
- Agri-Credit Manager
Graduates with BSc Forestry salary
The average salary a B.Sc Forestry Graduates receives may stand around 3 to 7 lakh per annum. However, their average earnings can increase with gaining experience and polishing the skill set. The salaries of the BSc Forestry graduates vary depending upon factors like Job Profile, Experience, Skillset, Recruiter, etc. Essentially, experience and Job profiles play a crucial part in determining their salary figure. Listed below are some of the top job profiles after Bachelor of Science in Forestry with an average salary figure.
- Professor:- Rs. 8 to 9 Lakh Per Annum
- Nursery Manager:- Rs. 4 Lakh Per Annum
- Farming Manager:- Rs. 7 Lakh Per Annum
- Assistant Manager:- Rs. 6 Lakh Per Annum
- Agri-Credit Manager:- Rs. 5.5 Lakh Per Annum
Mostly asked Questions on Bachelor of Science in Forestry Program
Ans:- The job profiles BSc in forestry graduates can aspire to are Forester, Forest Range Officer, Lecturers, Forestry Technicians, Forest Officer, Forestry Staff, Forest Professionals, Natural Resource Technician, etc.
Ans:- Yes, BSc Forestry is an excellent course to be pursued, and it promises the graduates numerous job opportunities with lucrative salaries. After completing the program, one can also go for a master’s degree like MSc in Forestry.
Ans:- Yes, NEEt is required for a B.Sc Forestry course but at a few institutions. Like, admission into Kerala Bachelor of Science-Forestry is made based on the NEET merit score of the candidates.
Ans:- Every learning can be challenging or accessible, and it entirely depends upon the passion and affection of the candidates. However, we can say that studying forestry can be very tough as it encompasses all fields of studies, from biology to engineering.
Reads Beyond BSc in Forestry Course Under Course Listing
- Could Graduating in BSc in Psychology be Rewarding?
- How Diploma in Nursing is Becoming Popular Choice?
- The Paramedical Courses Can Offer a flooding Career Ops!
- Check Out as to How BSc in Statistics Could be a Right Fit for You?
- Recently BSc in Physics Course is Much Sought After- Check Out Why?
- How BSc in Radiography Could be a Guarantee to A Great Career Ahead