Updated October 18, 2022
MSc Forestry or Master of Science in Forestry is a two-year postgraduate course that comprises four equal semesters. The program involves the study of forests and their management & uses. In the MSc Forestry course, students get advanced knowledge of fields like Biology, Business Economics, Logistics, Forest Ecology, etc.
The objective of the MSC Forestry program is to provide the candidates with opportunities to build careers as forestry professionals and take active participation in the decision-making process for sustainable management of forest resources. The program promises the candidates ample career opportunities and lucrative earnings.
Students who want to apply for the Master of Science in Forestry must hold a Bachelor’s degree in a related field from a recognized university. Admissions to the program are made either based on candidates’ performance in the Bachelor’s degree exam or their performance in the entrance exams conducted by admission authorities.
MSc Forestry Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for MSc Forestry is more or less similar to any other MSc course. The eligibility criteria for the program is not so complicated, but they may differ from institution to institution. Below mentioned are the minimum eligibility criteria for the program that most of the institutions ask for providing admission to the program.
- The candidate must have obtained a bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Forestry or from a recognized institute.
- They should have secured the minimum aggregate of 50% marks in their graduation degree.
- Candidates of a reserved category are also provided 5% relaxation in marks.
MSc Forestry Admission Process
Be it BSc Forestry Course or MSc Forestry the admission process is more or less similar. Admission provided to the MSc Forestry program is usually based on the entrance exam performance of the candidates. Some colleges also offer admission to the course on a merit basis. We have enlisted down the various steps involved in the program’s admission process.
- Candidates need to apply for admission to the program at the colleges, or universities candidates are interested in.
- Colleges release their cut off lists in a specific duration after completing the application procedure.
- Candidates need to check if they are eligible for admission into the desired course.
- Eligible candidates need to visit the college and submit all the required documents to register for the academic year.
Entrance based selection
- Candidates need to apply and appear for the entrance exams of the programs.
- After completing the entrance exam, institutions shortlist candidates based on their performance.
- Candidates who secure the cut off marks or above are called for the further selection process that includes a round of counselling.
- And finally, based on the overall performance of the candidates, the institutions allocate them admission seats accordingly.
Year- Wise MSc Forestry Syllabus
Students pursue various essential subjects and topics in the MSc Forestry course. However, the subject’s name may differ from institute to institute, but the concept mostly remains the same everywhere. We have enlisted down the year-wise breakup of the syllabus for the Master of Science in Forestry course.
Particulars of Master of Science in Forestry
|Wood based industries
|Forest Genetic Resources
|Wood Science and Technology
|Medicinal and Aromatic Plants
|Forests and People
|Forest products – chemistry and industries
|Forest ecology and biodiversity conservation
|Forest resource management and economics
|Computer Application and Information Technology
|Remote Sensing and Geographic Information System
|Forest policy and laws and international conventions
|General Statistical Methods and Research Methodology
MSc Forestry Colleges in India
Numerous colleges across India offers MSc Forestry Courses. We have listed down some of the top colleges offering a Master’s in Forestry program.
- Forest Research Institute, Uttarakhand
- Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiyana
- University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad
- Forest College and Research Institute, Tamil Nadu
- College of Forestry and Hill Agriculture, Uttarakhand
- Marotrao Wadafale College of Agriculture, Maharashtra
- Orissa University OF Agriculture and Technology, Odisha
- Chaudhary Charan Singh Agriculture College-Haryana, Haryana
- Doon College of Agriculture Science & Technology, Uttarakhand
- Hemwati Nandan Bahuguna Garhwal University Alias Garhwal University
- Sam Higginbotom Institute of Agriculture, Technology & Sciences, Uttar Pradesh
- Uttranchal College of Technology & Biomedical Science, Dehradun, Uttarakhand
- Sher-e-Kashmir University of Agricultural Sciences and Technology, Jammu and Kashmir
Master of Science in Forestry Fees
The average fee expense for the colleges offering MSc Forestry lies somewhere between Rs.16 to 150 thousand per annum. The fee charges for the program differ from institute to institute based on the reputation, authority and quality of education of the college student has chosen. For instance, the average fee for the program at Punjab Agricultural University is roughly 80 thousand per annum, while the University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad charges approximately 30 thousand per annum.
MSc Forestry Scope and Career Options
MSc Forestry is so versatile and dynamic that candidates can expect various job role offers in Forestry after completing the course like Dendrologist, Zoo Curator, Ethologist, etc. After a Master’s in Forestry, candidates can join Forest Departments, Indian Forest Service, Agricultural Sector, Educational Institutions, Plantations, National Parks etc. Even Government organizations like the Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare are also a secured place to start after completing the program.
Apart from that, candidates who wish to continue in the same field of education can go for advanced education like PhD Forestry and MPhil. Students can also appear in different competitive examinations for government jobs, including UPSC CSE, IFS, and various state PSCs.
MSc Forestry Jobs Prospects
Candidates can aspire to various job roles after completing the course. Listed below are some of the popular job profiles offered to MSc Forestry candidates.
- Zoo Curator
Candidates with MSc Forestry Salary
The average salary after completing MSc Forestry course stand around Rs.2,00,000 to 6,00,000 per annum. The candidates’ salary figure depends on factors like job roles, recruiter, etc. Listed below are some of the top Job profiles after MSc in Forestry along with average annual salary. The list below will present you the overview of salaries one can expect after completing the course.
- Ethologist:- Rs. 6 to 7 Lakh Per Annum
- Zoo Curator:- Rs. 4 to 5 Lakh Per Annum
- Entomologist:- Rs. 5 to 6 Lakh Per Annum
- Silviculturist:- Rs. 4.5 to 5.5 Lakh Per Annum
Mostly asked question on Master of Science in Forestry
Ans:- MSc Forestry full form Master of Science in Forestry is years full-time PG Course divided into four equal semesters. The program involves the study of forests and their uses. In this program, Students are provided advanced knowledge in the field of Biology, Business Economics, Logistics, Forest Ecology etc.
Ans:- After completing the MSc in Forestry, candidates can expect jobs in various employment sectors such as Educational Institutions, Seed and Nursery Companies, Forest Services, Biotechnology Firms, etc. They can be offered jobs in various roles such as Forester, Ethologist, Zoo Curator, Silviculturist, etc.
Ans:- The Basic eligibility for MSc in Forestry is that the candidate must have completed a bachelor’s degree or equivalent in forestry. And they should have also secured at least 50% of marks in their graduate degree.
Ans:- Candidates can expect various job role offers in Forestry after completing the course like Dendrologist, Zoo Curator, Ethologist, etc. After a Master’s in Forestry, candidates can join Forest Departments, Indian Forest Service, Educational Institutions, etc. Top of that, candidates who wish to continue in the same field of education can go for advanced education like PhD Forestry, DSc and MPhil.
Reads Beyond MSc Forestry Course Under Course Listing
- Could Graduating in BSc in Forestry be Rewarding?
- How Diploma in Nursing is Becoming Popular Choice?
- The Paramedical Courses Can Offer a flooding Career Ops!
- Check Out as to How BSc in Statistics Could be a Right Fit for You?
- How Could BSc in Aviation be a Guarantee to A Great Career Ahead?
- Recently BSc in Physics Course is Much Sought After- Check Out Why?