Updated October 18, 2022
Biology is a branch of science that helps us understand the living world and how it functions, evolves, and interacts. The discipline of Biology covers areas like medicine, agriculture, biotechnology, and many others that improve the quality of life of living beings. Being so vast, it has enormous career scope for the students in various areas. So, MSc Biology is perfect for him if someone is currently pursuing a BSc in Biology and ready to take it to the next level in terms of knowledge and career aspects.
MSC Biology full form Masters of Science in Biology is a two-year postgraduate degree course that comprises four semesters of study. The program revolves around studying living organisms and their behavior, growth, ecology, evolution, etc. The study of the program allows the students to explore in-depth the various factors that causes the structural changes in the living organism.
In order to be eligible for the Master of Science in Biology program, aspirants need to be a Bachelor’s degree holder in science with a minimum aggregate of 60% marks from a recognized institute. Several renowned institutes in India offer the program and provide admission either based on the merit of aspirants in BSc Degree or their entrance exam performance.
MSc Biology Admission Process
Admission Provided to this PG course commonly based on entrance exam score the candidate. Various state and university level entrance exams conducted for providing admission to the program. And some of the major ones are purpose are BHU PET, IIT JAM, DUET etc. However, few institute also admit the candidates on merit basis. Mentioned below are the various steps involved in the admission process of the program.
Entrance based selection
- Aspirants have to register and appear for the standard entrance exams of the MSc Biology Program.
- After the entrance examination, the universities/colleges release the merit least of shortlisted candidates in due course of time.
- Based on the performance of candidates in the entrance exam, the institutions allot them admission seats.
- And finally, the selected candidates must submit the required documents and admission fee for registering for the respective academic session.
- Aspirants need to apply (online or offline) to the colleges or universities they are interested in.
- Once the application procedure gets completed, colleges release their cutoff lists after a certain period.
- Candidates need to check if they are eligible for admission into the MSC Biology program or not.
- If yes, they need to visit the college’s admission office and submit all the required documents and admission fees for registering for the respective academic session.
MSc Biology Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for MSc Biology are not so complex and more or less similar to other MSc Programs. Below are the minimum eligibility criteria asked by most institutions offering the program. However, aspirants must keep in mind that the eligibility criteria may differ from institute to institute.
- Aspirants must be bachelor’s degree holders in Biology or a related discipline from a recognized institute.
- They should have secured the aggregate of at least 60% marks in their graduation degree.
- Candidates belonging to SC/ST category are given relaxation in aggregate marks as per the norms of the institutes.
Semester-Wise MSc Biology Syllabus
Students cover various essential subjects and topics in MSc Biology Program. So, before applying for the course, they must check out the syllabus for the program to make an informed decision. We have tabulated below the semester-wise breakup of the syllabus for the MSc Biology course.
Particulars of Master’s in Biology syllabus
|First Semester||Cell biology|
|Genes and genomes|
|Proteins and proteomics|
|Biostatistics and biosystematics|
|Second Semester||Methods in applied sciences|
|Recombinant DNA technology|
|Metabolism and metabolomics|
|Research methodology and IPR|
|Third Semester||Research project|
|fourth Semester||Clinical immunology|
|Recent advances in biology|
|Introduction to pharmacology|
|Molecular medicine & oncology|
MSc Biology Entrance Exams
Admission to the MSc Biology course in most institutes is made based on the performance of candidates in the entrance exams conducted by admission authorities. Listed below are some of the popular entrance tests for the program.
- DUET (Delhi University entrance test)
- BHU PET (Banaras Hindu University- Post Graduate Entrance Test)
- IIT JAM Indian institute of Technology- Joint Admission test for Masters)
MSc Biology Colleges in India
Several institutes in India offer MSc Biology courses. And among those, we have listed some of India’s popular Colleges for the program.
- Loyola College, Chennai
- St. Xaviers College, Kolkata
- Christ University, Karnataka
- Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi
- Madras Christian College, Chennai
- Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi
- University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad
- Aligarh Muslim University, Uttar Pradesh
- Indian Institutes of Technology, Kharagpur
Master of Science in Biology Fees
The average fee charges of the institutes for the MSc Biology course lie somewhere between INR 4,000 to 4 lakh per annum. Variation in the fees structure for the program entirely depends upon the standard and authority of the college the student has chosen. Distance learning mode for this program is also available. The average annual fees expense for studying Masters of Science in Biology through distance learning ranges from INR 10,000 to 1,00,000 per annum.
Career Scope After MSc Biology
The Master’s in Biology program encompasses enormous career opportunities for the candidates. The Master of Science in Biology postgraduates can be employed in leading pharmaceutical industries for research and experimentation for developing future medications and cures. They can also explore vacancy-based jobs under government organizations such as the essential science and technology industry. These posts are prestigious and provide attractive salary packages altogether.
However, starting a professional journey is not the only option for the MSc Biology postgraduate. Being a trendy and vast discipline, MSc in Biology course has comprehensive scope. After completing the program, candidates can pursue higher degree education in a related field such as Ph.D. and DSc in Biology. In one line, the MSc in Biological science expose the students to numerous ways in which they can build their careers.
Popular Jobs After MSc Biology
Once the candidates complete the MSc Biology course, many options open up for them in the various employment sectors. Enlisted down are some of the most aspired job roles after Master of Science in Biology course.
- Health Educator
- Research Assistant
- Farming Consultant
- Biological Technician
- Academic Professional
- Biological Content Writer
- Quality Inspection Officer
Postgraduates with MSc Biology Salary
The average salary that MSc Biology candidates receive after completing the program usually ranges between INR 2 to 8 lakh Per Annum, depending on the recruiters and job roles & experience of candidates. We have listed the top job profiles after MSc Biology with their average annual salary package. The data below is only for reference, and the actual salary may differ.
- Biologist:- INR 5 Lakh Per Annum
- Plant Biochemist:- INR 5.5 Lakh Per Annum
- Research Assistant:- INR 5 Lakh Per Annum
- Farming Consultant:- INR 7 Lakh Per Annum
- Biological Technician:- INR 6.5 Lakh Per Annum
- Academic Professional:- INR 7.5 Lakh Per Annum
- Quality Inspection Officer:- INR 6 Lakh Per Annum
Mostly Asked Questions on Master’s in Biology
Ans:- M.Sc. in Biological Sciences full form Master of Science in Biology is a two-year post-graduate degree course program that aims to equip students with the generic skills of a researcher in Biomedical Sciences, Ecology, Evolution, and Behavior.
Ans:- After completing MSc in Biological Science course, students can aspire to various job roles that include Farming Consultant, Ecologist, Biologist, Biological Technician, etc.
Ans:- Some of the top specializations that Master of Science in biology provides are MSc in Neuromarketing, MSc in Evolutionary Biology, Master in Conservation Biology, Master in Integrative Plant Sciences, Master of Science in Conservation Biology, MSc in Quantitative Biology, and Disease Modelling, etc.
Ans:- Both are the same because these are all different abbreviations for a Master of Science. In the UK and Europe, MSc is more commonly used, while MS is the prevalent form in the US.
Reads Beyond MSc Biology course Under Course Listing
- How MSc Chemistry is Becoming Popular Choice?
- Could Graduating in BSc in Forestry be Rewarding?
- The Paramedical Courses Can Offer a flooding Career Ops!
- Recently BSc in Physics Course is Much Sought After- Check Out Why?
- How Could MSc in Agriculture be a Guarantee to A Great Career Ahead?
- Check Out as to How MSc Pharmaceutical Chemistry Could be a Right Fit for You?