Updated October 18, 2022
Science is a domain that relates to everything on this globe somehow, and its branches are concerned with every profession in today’s generation. Among all the components of science, chemistry is one, which includes Pharmaceutical Chemistry. And course offered in this particular discipline at the postgraduate level is MSc Pharmaceutical Chemistry.
MSc Pharmaceutical Chemistry, full form Master of Science in Pharmaceutical Chemistry, is a two-year postgraduate degree course that comprises four Semesters of study. The program involves the study and training of interaction between multi-disciplines of chemistry that include organic chemistry, pharmacology, and various other biological specialties to develop pharmaceutical drugs and Medicines.
The objective of the MSC Pharmaceutical Chemistry Program is to train the students on various methods, techniques and analyses for synthesizing and developing drugs that can be used for treating different types of diseases. So, for candidates who wants to enhance their knowledge to speed up careers growth, pursuing MSc Pharmaceuticals chemistry is an appropriate course.
MSc Pharmaceutical Chemistry Eligibility
Candidates aspiring to apply for any course need to fulfil the specific eligibility criteria. And same goes with MSc Pharmaceutical Chemistry too. Mentioned below are the minimum eligibility criteria for the program candidates need to fulfil.
- The applicant must be a bachelor’s degree holder in Chemistry or a related field from a recognized university.
- They should have secured the minimum marks specified by their chosen institutes. However, in most institutions, the minimum score required for the program is 50% in a graduation degree.
- Candidates who have written their graduation exams and results are yet to be released, can also apply for the program on a provisional basis.
- There is no age limit on candidates for pursuing this course at most institutions.
MSc Pharmaceutical Chemistry Admission Process
Be it MSc Chemistry Program or other MSc programs, the admission procedure is more or less similar. Admissions provided to M.Sc. in Pharmaceutical Chemistry are either based on entrance tests or the merit obtained by candidates in their BSc degree. Some institutes offer direct admission based on the merit of the candidates at BSc Degree, and Some reputed institutes conduct their own entrance exams to admit students into this course. Below listed is a complete admission process for the program.
Entrance Based Selection
- Candidates must apply and appear for the entrance exam of the respective institutes they have chosen.
- After completing entrance exams, institutions release merit lists of shortlisted candidates.
- Shortlisted candidates get a call from the institute where they appear for the internal selection procedure (If required), including a round of personal interviews and counselling sessions.
- After clearing all the rounds, the candidates are allotted admission seats by the institutions.
- And finally, the selected candidates need to deposit the initial admission fees and register for the MSc Pharmaceuticals Chemistry programs.
- Aspirants who have secured the minimum aggregate of 50% in their BSc degree can apply to the colleges providing admission in this course through both online and offline modes.
- Candidates who fulfil the criteria and aspire to the program must visit either the official website Admission office of the respective Institute to avail the application forms for admission.
- Applicants must fill out the application form as per the direction of the institutes, and candidates must ensure that the required documents are attached with it.
- And finally, the colleges shortlist the candidates who are fulfilling the eligibility criteria and allot the admission seats to them.
MSc Pharmaceutical Chemistry Entrance exams
Many reputed institutes across India that offer Master in Pharmaceutical Chemistry program conducts entrance test for providing admission to the course. Some of the most popular entrance exams for the program are as follows.
- CU PGEE (Calicut University PG Entrance Exam)
- WBJEE (West Bengal Joint Entrance Examinations)
- MKU-ET (Madurai Kamraaj University Entrance Test)
- OUCET (Osmania University Common Entrance Test)
- DUET PG (Delhi University Postgraduate Entrance Test)
- CSS PG (Kerala University MSc Chemistry Entrance Exam)
- IIT JAM (Indian Institute of Technology Joint Admission Test)
- BHU PET (Banaras Hindu University Postgraduate Entrance Test)
- MGUCAT (Mahatma Gandhi University Common Admission Test)
- CUET PG (Christ University Entrance Test for Postgraduate Programs)
- CUSAT CET (Cochin University of Science & Technology Common Entrance Test)
MSc Pharmaceutical Chemistry Syllabus
M. Sc. Pharmaceutical Chemistry is a two-year post-graduate degree course that comprise four semesters of study. Student go through various topics and subjects during the program. Below is a year wise break of syllabus for the program. So, check out below to know the subjects taught in the program.
Particulars of Master of science in Pharmacology Chemistry syllabus
|Organic Synthesis Lab
|Medicinal Chemistry Lab
|Pharmaceutical Chemistry I
|Pharmaceutical Chemistry II
|Advanced Organic Chemistry
|Pharmaceutical Chemistry Lab
|Advanced Chromatographic Techniques
|Phyto-chemistry (Common to Organic Chemistry)
|Chemical & Instrumental Methods of Drug Analysis
|Communicative English I (common to MSc., M.C.A.)
|Bio Organic Chemistry (common to organic chemistry)
|Computer Application/Basics Lab
|Analytical Techniques in Chemistry
|Chemical Methods of Drug Analysis Lab
|Process Chemistry in Pharmaceutical Industry
|Communicative English II (Common to MSc., M.C.A.)
|Pharmaceutical Quality Control and Quality Assurance
|Computer Application/Basics (Common to Organic Chemistry)
Top MSc Pharmaceutical Chemistry Colleges in India
The most prominent colleges in India are Enlisted down, which offer MSc Pharmaceutical Chemistry courses. These institutions guarantee the best job opportunities to the candidates after completing the course.
- Loyola College, Chennai
- Fergusson College, Pune
- St. Xavier’s College, Kolkata
- Christ University, Bangalore
- Presidency College, Chennai
- Hans Raj College, New Delhi
- St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai
- Mount Carmel College, Bangalore
- Madras Christian College, Chennai
- Miranda House College, New Delhi
- Sri Venkateswara College, New Delhi
- The Oxford College of Science, Bangalore
- St. Francis College for Women, Hyderabad
Fees for Master of Science in Pharmacology Chemistry
The average tuition fee charged for M.Sc. Pharmaceutical Chemistry courses at different institutes in India ranges from 30,000 to 5 Lakhs. The fee charges for the program differ from institute to institute depending upon the authority (Public or Private) and reputation of the institution. Tabulated below is a fee range for the program at government and private institutions.
|Authority of Institutions
|Annual Fee range
|25,000 to 2.5 Lakh Per Annum
|15,000 to 1.5 Lakh Per Annum
MSc Pharmaceutical Chemistry Career Scope
MSc pharmaceutical provides numerous job opportunities with handsome salaries for graduates in the pharmaceutical and chemical industry. Some prominent recruiters for M.Sc. Pharmaceutical Chemistry graduates are pharmaceutical industries, colleges & universities, chemical or biomedical industries, biotechnological companies, scientific industries, defense services, government and private hospitals, etc. They can explore jobs in these sectors like Scientist, Research Executive, Professor, Research, Officer, Quality Control & Quality Assurance Analyst, Patent Analyst, Scientific Data Entry Specialist, Pharmaceutical Patent Analyst, Assistant Manager, etc.
Apart from this, those who want to broaden their horizon can also go for MPhil, PhD, etc., in Pharmaceutical Chemistry after completing the MSc degree. It will help the candidates hold a better grip over the subject and explore the fields of pharmaceutical chemistry and turn their career options into the more lucrative option.
MSc Pharmaceutical Chemistry Jobs Profile
Master in Pharmaceutical Chemistry Graduates can expect various Jon roles in both private as well as government sectors. Listed below are some of the top Job Profiles for the graduates after M.Sc pharmaceutical Chemistry.
- Patent Analyst
- Research Officer
- Research Scientist
- Assistant Manager
- Research Associate
- Data Entry Specialist
- Research Executive Professor
- Scientific Data Entry Specialist
- Pharmaceutical Patent Analyst
- Quality Control & Assurance Analyst
Graduates with MSc Pharmaceutical Chemistry Salary
The average salary received by Master in Pharmaceutical Chemistry candidates may range between 4 to 10 Lakhs Per annum. The wages of the graduates differ depending on factors like experience, job profile and recruiter. The average salaries of some top-most profiles in Pharmaceutical Chemistry are listed below. The salary figures for different job roles shown below are only for reference, and the actual earnings might vary.
- Professor:- Rs. 8 Lakhs Per Annum
- Research Officer:- Rs. 10 Lakhs Per Annum
- Research Scientist:- Rs. 8 Lakhs Per Annum
- Research Associate:- Rs. 6 Lakhs Per Annum
- Data Entry Specialist:- Rs. 5 lakhs Per Annum
- Quality Control Officer:- Rs. 7 Lakhs Per Annum
Mostly asked questions on Master‘s in Pharmacology Chemistry
Ans:- M.Sc. in Pharmaceutical Chemistry is a two-year postgraduate course divided into four equal semesters of study. The program involves the research and development of pharmaceutical drugs and medicines.
Ans:- After completing MSc Pharmaceutical Chemistry, one can explore careers in manufacturing firms that focus on chemicals, pharmaceuticals, and oil and gas. They can be assigned various job roles like Scientist, Research Officer, Research Executive Professor, Quality Control & Quality Assurance Analyst, etc.
Ans:- Pharmaceutical chemistry has a vast scope in pharmaceutical companies or government agencies that research and develop new drugs & medicines. After completing the MSc Pharmaceuticals program, one can also opt for an academic profession.
Ans:- Individuals who have obtained MSc degree in Chemistry will look for jobs in pharmaceutical firms, hospitals, medical schools, private clinics, research centers, etc. And, the average salary received by postgraduates in chemistry stands around 4 to 10 Lakhs per annum.
Reads Beyond MSc Pharmaceutical Chemistry Under Course Listing
- How MSc Chemistry is Becoming Popular Choice?
- Could Graduating in BSc in Forestry be Rewarding?
- The Paramedical Courses Can Offer a flooding Career Ops!
- Check Out as to How BSc in Statistics Could be a Right Fit for You?
- How Could BSc in Aviation be a Guarantee to A Great Career Ahead?
- Recently BSc in Physics Course is Much Sought After- Check Out Why?