Updated October 18, 2022
MSc Pharmacology or Master of Science in Pharmacology is a two-year post-graduate program in medicine. The program is an integration of medicine and biology, which deals with studying the science of how drugs act on biological systems and how the body responds to the drug.
Candidates aspiring to pursue an MSc Pharmacology course must have completed BSc Pharmacology, BAMS, MBBS, BHMS, BPT, B. Pharma, BVSc, or any other professional BSc degree with at least one subject of Biological Sciences from a recognized university/colleges.
Some top institutes that offer M.Sc. Pharmacology includes the National Institute of Medical science and research (Jaipur), Kasturba Medical College (Mangalore), etc. The average annual fees for the program range from INR 10K to 4LPA, depending on the selection of institutes.
Major MSc Pharmacology Course Details
Mentioned below are the major highlights of the Master of Science in Pharmacology course such as full form, course duration, eligibility, admission process, top jobs, salary, etc.
|Course Name||MSc Pharmacology|
|Course Level||Post Graduate|
|Full-form||Master of Science in Pharmacology|
|Course Duration||Two years|
|Minimum Eligibility||BSc Pharmacology or BAMS or MBBS or BHMS or BPT or BPharm or BVSc or any other professional BSc degree with at least one subject of Biological Sciences from a recognized university.|
|Admission Process||Entranced and Merit-based|
|Average Course Fee||INR 10K to 4 LPA|
|Average Initial Salary||INR 2 to 6 LPA|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Government agencies, supply & distribution of medicine, Defense services, Research colleges / Universities, Hospitals, Private clinics, etc.|
|Top Job Positions||Analytical chemist, Bio-medical scientist, clinical research associate, Healthcare scientist, Pharmacologist, etc.|
M.Sc. Pharmacology Admission Process
Admission to the course is either based on the merit obtained by the candidates at the graduate level or their performance in any relevant entrance exams for the MSc Pharmacology. The admission process for the program entirely depends on the selection of university/college by the candidates and the particular state.
M.Sc. in Pharmacology Eligibility Criteria
Candidates seeking admission to the MSc Pharmacology program are required to satisfy specific conditions. Listed below are the minimum eligibility criteria that candidates must meet to be enrolled in the program.
- Candidates must have completed BSc Pharmacology, BAMS, MBBS, BHMS, BPT, BPharm, BVSc, or any other professional BSc degree with at least one subject of Biological Sciences from a recognized university.
- They should have also scored at least 55% of aggregate marks in their graduate degree to apply for admission. However, a relaxation of 5% marks is also given to the candidates of reserved categories (SC / ST or Backward candidates).
- Sometimes, the candidate may also have to clear the relevant entrance examination for the courses depending on the selection of the institute for admission.
Top M.Sc. in Pharmacology Entrance Exam
Numerous universities/colleges in India select candidates for the program based on their performance in the top Pharmacy Entrance Exams or university-sponsored exams. A few of the most common exams for the MSc Pharmacology program are listed below.
- KCET (Karnataka Common Entrance Test)
- GPAT (Graduate Pharmacy Aptitude Test)
- WB JELET (West Bengal Joint Entrance for Lateral Entry)
- NEET PG (National Eligibility cum Entrance Test- Post Graduate)
- RUHS PAT (Rajasthan University for Health Sciences Pharmacy Admission Test)
- NIPER JEE (National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research Joint Entrance Exam)
Top MSc Pharmacology Colleges in India
Colleges/Universities offering MSc Pharmacology in India are in significant numbers. Some most reputed among them are listed below.
- Sharda University, Greater Noida
- Medical College of Baroda, Baroda
- Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore
- Teerthankar Mahaveer University, Moradabad
- Saveetha Medical college and hospital, Kancheepuram
- Maharshi Markhandeshwar University (MMU), Ambala
- National Institute of Medical science and research, Jaipur
- College of veterinary science and animal husbandry, Aizwal
- Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh
- Meenakshi Medical College Hospital & Research Institute, Kancheepuram
Master of Science in Pharmacology Syllabus
The course curriculum of the program is divided into four equal semesters of study that strongly emphasizes correct and complete experience with experiments on animals and organs to gain a solid understanding of the subject. While the MSc Pharmacology course syllabus may vary from institution to institution, some core subjects and topics are covered under the MSc Pharmacology program.
Particulars of MSc Pharmacology Syllabus
|Wonder Discovers in Pharmacology|
|Isolation of Compounds from Herbal Sources|
|General Principles of Pharmacology and Allied Sciences|
|Central Nervous system|
|Drug Development Process|
|Autonomic Nervous System|
Skills Set for a Successful Pharmacologist
Candidates need to develop a specific skill set to be successful pharmacologists, and MSc Pharmacology carries out this job perfectly. Listed are some required skill sets for a pharmacologist.
- Skills in Information
- Project Management Skills
- Ability to critically evaluate data
- Interpersonal and teamwork abilities
- Time Management and Organizational Skills
- Technology Aptitude for research and analysis
Scope after MSc Pharmacology Course
Career avenues for MSc Pharmacology graduates range from Clinical research to Pharmacologists. They are employed in various employment areas like Government agencies, supply & distribution firms of medicine, Defense services, Research colleges / Universities, Hospitals, Private Clinics, etc. Several reputable job positions, including Analytical chemist, Biomedical scientist, clinical research associate, Healthcare scientist, Pharmacologist, medical research scientist, etc., with handsome salary packages, are available to the graduates of this course. The average initial salary offered to the MSc pharmacology graduates ranges from INR 2 to 6 LPA. The compensation and wages for these individuals largely depend on their job profiles, the skill-set they have built, and the work experience earned in the industry.
Upon completing an MSc in Pharmacology, candidates also have options for higher studies in the field. They can go for a PhD or MPhil in pharmaceutical research. Since the pharmaceutical industry is a booming and lucrative market sector, particularly in the post-COVID period, the industry needs constant research and development of new medications to aid humanity in curing various illnesses and disorders.
MSc Pharmacology Jobs and Career Options
Several reputable job positions with handsome salary packages are available to the graduates of this course. List are some popular options after MSc Pharmacology.
- Analytical chemist
- Biomedical scientist
- Lecturers/ Professors
- Medical Research scientist
- Clinical Research Associate
Graduates of MSc Pharmacology Salary in India
The average initial salary offered to the MSc pharmacology graduates ranges from INR 2 to 6 LPA. The compensation and wages for these individuals largely depend on their job profiles, the skill-set they have built, and the work experience earned in the industry. Listed are some popular profiles in MSc Pharmacology with average salary trends.
- Pharmacologist:- INR 2 Lakh Per Annum
- Analytical chemist:- INR 3 Lakh Per Annum
- Biomedical scientist:- INR 4 Lakh Per Annum
- Lecturers/ Professors:- INR 4 Lakh Per Annum
- Medical Research scientist:- INR 6 Lakh Per Annum
- Clinical Research Associate:- INR 3 Lakh Per Annum
FAQs on Master of Science in Pharmacology Course
Ans:- MSc Pharmacology or Master of Science in Pharmacology is a two-year post-graduate program in medicine. The program is an integration of medicine and biology, which deals with studying the science of how drugs act on biological systems and how the body responds to the drug.
Ans:- No, though M Pharm (Master of Pharmacy) and MSc Pharmacology (Master of Science in Pharmacology) are postgraduate programs spanning equal period of two years. They have some differences, too; while the former deals with studying drugs and medicines, from manufacturing to selling, the latter focuses on studying the science of how drugs act on biological systems and how the body responds to the drug.
Ans:- A wide range of career opportunities is available to MSc Pharmacology Graduates. Some popular jobs and career options available for aspirants are as follows.
· Analytical chemist
· Pharma Researcher
· Biomedical scientist
· Lecturers/ Professors
· Drug regulatory officer
· Medical Research scientist
· Clinical Research Associate
Reads Beyond M.Sc. Pharmacology Under Courses Listing
- MSc Data Science Offers Flooding Career Ops- Check Out!
- Could Graduating with BSc Biochemistry be Truly Rewarding?
- How Alternative Medicine Courses is Changing the Healthcare?
- What Makes Ph.D. Pathology Specialized Course With Great Scope?
- Degree in M.D. Microbiology is the Most Prominent Program- Check!