Updated October 22, 2022
PhD Physiology or Doctor of Philosophy in Physiology is a Doctoral course that imparts in-depth knowledge of the interrelationships of tissues, cells, and sub-cellular components. The curriculum aims to teach the students “how the various facets of molecular, cellular, tissue & organ function relate to the overall operation of an organism, and how disturbances from the outside environment impact these processes.”
To be eligible for the Ph.D. Physiology aspirants must be postgraduate degree holders or equivalent in physiology or a relevant discipline with at least 50% marks in aggregate. Admission made to the program is entranced-based. Candidates are selected based on their performance in the entrance examination, followed by a personal interview round. The course entrance test may be at the university, state, or national level.
Various reputed colleges in India offer Ph.D. Physiology courses, and some top ones include All India Institute of Medical Sciences (New Delhi), Christian Medical College (Vellore), Armed Forces Medical College (Pune), Kasturba Medical College (Mangalore), Maulana Azad Medical College (New Delhi), Lady Hardinge Medical College (New Delhi). The average fee charged for the course in India ranges from INR 50K to 5 Lakh.
Major PhD Physiology Course Details
Mentioned below are some of the major highlights of the course, such as the Course duration, eligibility, admission process, course fee, salary, top profiles, etc.
|Course Name||PhD Physiology|
|Full-form||Doctor of Philosophy in Physiology|
|Course Duration||Three to Five years|
|Admission Process||Entrance examination followed by Personal interviews|
|Average Course Fee||INR 50K to 5 Lakh|
|Average Initial Salary||INR 4 to 8 LPA|
|Top Recruiting Firms||Kelly Service India Pvt ltd., Fortis Healthcare, MAX Healthcare, Techs to Suit Inc, Indian Council of Medical Research, Jawaharlal Institute of postgraduate medical education and research, Apollo Hospitals, Kailash Hospital, Adecco India Private Limited, Meditrina Hospitals Private Limited, Jaypee healthcare limited, etc.|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Psychological Research Centers, Rehabilitation Centers, Advertising Industry Teaching, Welfare Organizations, Psychological assessment and testing, Research Establishments, Development of prevention programs, Child/ Youth Guidance Centers, Forensics Universities/schools, etc.|
|Top Job Positions||Psychologist, Scientist, Radiology Coder, Psychotherapist, Lecturer & Professor, Counselor, Consultant, Teacher, Clinical Psychologist, Psychiatrist, Clinical Social Worker, Art Therapist, Practitioner, Research Associate, Medical Coder, etc.|
PhD in Physiology Admission Process
Admission to the Ph.D. physiology program is offered through an entranced-based procedure. Candidates are selected for the program based on their marks in the entrance test conducted by the respective university/institute or other administering bodies like CSIR, UGC, ICAR, ICMR, DBT, etc.
Those candidates who have qualified for the GATE/NET/SET/JRF in the pertinent subject will be exempted from the entrance test conducted by the university. While giving the exemption, the Departmental Committee of the institute may consider research work/experience done by the student. After clearing all the required steps, the candidates become eligible to register for the course by paying the registration fee.
Ph.D. in Physiology Eligibility Criteria
Candidates seeking admission to the Ph.D. Physiology Program must meet the required condition. Listed below are the minimum eligibility criteria that must meet by the aspirant to enroll in the course.
- A candidate must hold a postgraduate degree in a relevant discipline (like MSc Physiology, MPhil Physiology, etc.) or equivalent with at least 50% marks in aggregate from a recognized institute.
- Since admission to the program is entranced-based, candidates must clear the relevant entrance examination followed by a round of personal interviews. Some most common entrance tests for the course are GATE, NET, SET, JRF, etc.
Popular PhD Physiology Entrance Exam
Numerous entrance tests are conducted by the respective university/institute or other apex bodies, like CSIR, UGC, ICAR, ICMR, DBT, etc., for selecting candidates for the program. Some popular entrance exams for the Ph.D. Physiology courses are listed below.
- UGC NET
- IIT PhD Admissions Test
- JNU PhD Entrance Exam
- AIIMS PhD Entrance Exam
- Symbiosis PhD Entrance Exam
Top Ph.D. Physiology Colleges in India
Ph.D. Physiology or Doctor of Philosophy in Physiology is a 3 to 5 years long Doctorate course that imparts in-depth knowledge of the interrelationships of tissues, cells, and sub-cellular components. Several reputed institutes in India offer Ph.D. Physiology courses and some top ones are listed below.
- Sms Medical College, Jaipur
- Grant Medical College, Mumbai
- Christian Medical College, Vellore
- Christian Medical College, Ludhiana
- Government Medical College, Surat
- Armed Forces Medical College, Pune
- Sri Ramachandra University, Chennai
- Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore
- Osmania Medical College, Hyderabad
- Government Medical College, Amritsar
- Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi
- Lady Hardinge Medical College, New Delhi
- Madras Medical College Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
- Government Medical College, Thiruvananthapuram
- Lokmanya Tilak Municipal Medical College, Mumbai
- Byramjee Jeejeebhoy Government Medical College, Pune
- Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute, Bangalore
- Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education and Research, Kolkata
- Jawaharlal Institute of PG Medical Education and Research, Pondicherry
Syllabus for Ph.D. in Physiology Couse
Mentioned below is the syllabus of the Doctor of Philosophy in Physiology course followed by most Universities and Colleges in India offering the program.
Particulars of PhD Physiology Syllabus
|Papers||Subjects of Study|
|I||Body Fluid Homeostasis|
|II||Male & Female Infertility|
|III||Current Physiological Research|
|IV||Diabetes Mellitus & Secretory Processes|
|V||Cardiovascular & Muscle Responses to Injury|
Scope after Ph.D. in Physiology Program
Career openings for Ph.D. Physiology graduates are everlasting. They can get employment opportunities in both private and government workforces. Physiologists are hired in various employment areas like colleges, universities, schools, hospitals, clinics, government organizations, etc. Countries like Europe, the USA, New Zealand, and Australia are famous spots for Ph.D. Physiology graduates for career openings.
A wide range of career opportunities will open for the Ph.D. Physiology graduates in coming years. Because of the increase in population, mental issues, and physical issues, the demand for healthcare professionals in hospitals, Physiology centres, social health administrations, etc., is growing every day.
PhD Physiology jobs and career Options
Below are some famous professional avenues open to successful graduates/ postgraduates of the PhD Physiology course.
- Art Therapist
- Medical Coder
- Radiology Coder
- Research Associate
- Clinical Psychologist
- Lecturer & Professor
- Clinical Social Worker
Graduates of PhD Physiology Salary in India
The annual earnings of the Ph.D. Physiology postgraduates may depend on the factors like job profiles, experience, skill set, job location, the organization they work for, etc. However, the average initial salary offered to the Ph.D. Physiology candidates in India range from 4 to 8 lakh per annum, depending on their expertise. Below are some top profiles after completing the program with average salary trends.
- Professor:- INR 9 Lakh Per Annum
- Researchers:- INR 7 Lakh Per Annum
- Psychologist:- INR 4 Lakh Per Annum
- Medical Coder:- INR 3 Lakh Per Annum
- Clinical Associate:- INR 6 Lakh Per Annum
FAQs on Doctor of Philosophy in Physiology Course
Ans:- Ph.D. Physiology or Doctor of Philosophy in Physiology is a Doctorate course that imparts in-depth knowledge of the interrelationships of tissues, cells, and sub-cellular components. The program spans a period of three to five years. The shortest duration to get awarded the degree is three years and five years is the longest one.
Ans:- No, though clinical physiologists are medical professionals who work closely with the science of the body, they are not typically doctors or physicians. Rather than going to medical school, physiologists attend specialized degree programs, often at the master’s degree level.
Ans:- Some of the most aspiring careers for individuals with a Ph. D. in physiology include Exercise physiologist, Lecturer, Post-doctoral fellow, Analytical chemist, Research analyst, Assistant professor, Physiotherapist, Audiologist, etc.
Reads Beyond Ph.D. Physiology Under Courses Listing
- MSc Pharmacology Offers Flooding Career Ops- Check Out!
- Could Graduating with BSc Biochemistry be Truly Rewarding?
- How Alternative Medicine Courses is Changing the Healthcare?
- What Makes Ph.D. Pathology Specialized Course With Great Scope?
- Degree in M.D. Pharmacology is the Most Prominent Program- Check!