Updated November 10, 2022
MSc in Biochemistry, full form Master of Science in Biochemistry, is a two-year-long postgraduate degree programme that involves studying and applying various chemical processes within living organisms. One who wants to pursue this course must have completed 12th and bachelor’s degree in science stream with subject combination of Physics, Chemistry and Biology from any recognised institution. Aspirants also have obtained the minimum aggregate of 50% in class 12th and graduation in order to pursue this course.
Admission to MSc Biochemistry is granted through various national and university entrance examinations. So, the aspirants need to qualify the entrance exams like Amity JEE, GSAT, Pant Nagar University Entrance Test, BHU-PET, and various other examinations for securing admissions into this course.
Numerous colleges in India like Oxford College of Science, Fergusson College, RRC, Jaipur National University, Aligarh Muslim University, Jamia Millia Islamia, Kurukshetra University, VELS University, etc. is offering the renowned course of M.Sc in Biochemistry. The average annual fees of the course may range from INR 30,000 to 1.5 Lakh Per Annum, depending upon the standard of college/university.
Master in biochemistry encompasses huge scope. After completing this course, candidates can be offered the job roles like Microbiologist, Associate Research Scientist, Research Scientist, Assistant Production Manager, Clinical Data Coordinator, Copywriter, Senior Data Quality Analyst, Scientific Research Manager. The average salary MSc Biochemistry candidates receive may range from 4 to 5 lakh per annum. However, one can also opt for higher studies like MPhil Biochemistry and Ph.D. Biochemistry, after completing Masters in Biochemistry.
MSc Biochemistry Eligibility
For admission into the MSc Biochemistry course, aspirants must fulfil certain eligibility criteria. The minimum eligibility criteria that each institution demands to grant admission to this course are discussed below. So, just check out whether you are eligible for this course or not.
- Aspirants must have completed 12th in science stream with subject combination of Physics, Chemistry and Biology from a recognized board or equivalent.
- They should have obtained a BSc degree in biochemistry or other related discipline with a minimum aggregate of 50% marks from any recognized institution. And the age of the aspirants should be between 17-21 years in order to apply for this course.
- Aspirants also have to appear and qualify in the entrance examinations conducted by various universities for securing admissions into this course. One more thing, they have to keep in mind that their score in entrance examinations should be above 45% to lock admission seats in good colleges.
MSc Biochemistry Admission Process
Admission offered to the MSc Biochemistry course is based on both merit and entrance exams, and numerous entrance tests are conducted by colleges/universities to provide admissions to this course. So, the aspirants need to follow some of the steps for admittance to the Master in Biochemistry program. Below are steps candidates need to follow once the applications are released.
- Firstly, the candidates need to visit the admission office or the college’s official website to know the relevant information to avail of the application form.
- After that, candidates need to fill the application form with required information like Date of Birth, contact details, educational qualifications, identity proofs, signatures, etc. One more thing, candidates must keep in mind that if the colleges /universities they seek admission into are offering admissions based on entrance exams, they also need to apply for those entrance exams.
- And lastly, candidates need to make the final application fee payment ensuring that they are meeting the minimum eligibility criteria.
MSc Biochemistry Entrance Exams
Aspirants need to appear and qualify the standard entrance examination for admission to MSc in Biochemistry. Various national and university level entrance examinations are conducted in India to offer admission to this course. Below listed are some of the top entrance examinations in India for admission in the MSc Biochemistry program.
- Pant Nagar University Entrance Exam
MSc Biochemistry Syllabus
MSc in Biochemistry is a two-year-long postgraduate degree program and one of the Nursing courses. The students in MSc Biochemistry Program pursue a wide range of topics and subjects. The course curriculum includes subjects like Microbiology, Enzymology, Cell Biology, Biomolecules, Biotechnology, Immunology, Bioinformatics, etc. Below mentioned in the table is a semester-wise syllabus of the course. So, just check out below to know what exactly is taught in MSc Biochemistry Program.
Particulars of Master of Science in Biochemistry Syllabus
|Cell Biology and Physiology|
|Structure and Function of Biomolecules|
|Bioenergetics and Intermediary Metabolism|
|Second Semesters||Practical Labs|
|Molecular Biology I|
|Nutritional and Clinical Biochemistry|
|Biophysical and Biochemical techniques|
|Molecular Biology II|
|Fourth semester||Practical Labs|
|Stem Cell and Reproduction|
|Biostatistics and Research Documentation|
Top MSc in Biochemistry Colleges
Numerous colleges in India offer a renowned course in MSc Biochemistry. As per NIRF, some of the top colleges and universities for this course are listed below.
- AIIMS, Delhi
- Fergusson College, Pune
- University of Delhi, Delhi
- Amity University, Gurgaon
- University of Mysore, Karnataka
- Jamia Milia Islamia University, Delhi
- Maharishi Dayanand University, Rohtak
- Aligarh Muslim University, Uttar Pradesh
- The Oxford College of Science, Bangalore
- University of Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh
Career Scope after Masters in Biochemistry
Masters in Biochemistry encompasses huge career scope for the candidates in every leading biology and chemistry field. Biochemistry is a rapidly developing sector, and advancements are being made at a good pace in this sector. Candidates who want to start their career after completing this course can choose to take up jobs in various industries such as Diagnostics Centers, Research Laboratories, Pharma Companies, Medical Equipment manufacturing Companies, Biotechnology Firms, Colleges and Universities. And the other option is to go for a higher degree program like MPhil Biochemistry or PhD Biochemistry or a related field. The choices of students depend entirely on the area they are interested in. Higher levels of education offer more possibilities and opportunities to research the subject of interest.
Job Roles After Masters in Biochemistry
Various Job roles are offered to MSc biochemistry candidates. Below are some of the top job profiles after completing this course.
- Research Scientist
- Clinical Data Coordinator
- Senior Data Quality Analyst
- Associate Research Scientist
- Scientific Research Manager
- Assistant Production Manager
MSc in Biochemistry Salary
The average salary of M.Sc in Biochemistry candidates may range from 2 to 14 lakh per annum, and their salary varies depending on experience, skills, job profile, and working area. Fresher candidates may start with an average salary package of 2 lakh per annum, but gaining experience hikes the salary to a certain amount. However, a job profile is crucial in determining the candidates’ salary package. The salary of MSc Biochemistry candidates with different job roles is mentioned in the table below.
- Professor- 10 Lakh per annum
- Lab Technician- 2.5 lakh per annum
- Pharmacologists- 5.5 lakh per annum
- Research Scientist- 6.5 lakh per annum
FAQs Related Masters in Biochemistry
Ans- There are numerous jobs that pay well, such as associate engineers, research scientists, professors, researchers, research biochemists, regional managers, and similar jobs available to MSc Biochemistry graduates. Candidates can expect a median salary of up to INR 5 Lakhs after completing their post-graduation.
Ans- Various Job roles are offered to MSc biochemistry candidates. Below are some of the top job profiles after completing this course.
• Research Scientist
• Clinical Data Coordinator
• Senior Data Quality Analyst
• Associate Research Scientist
• Scientific Research Manager
• Assistant Production Manager
Ans- The average salary of M.Sc in Biochemistry candidates may range from 2 to 14 lakh per annum, and their salary varies depending on experience, skills, job profile, and working area. Fresher candidates may start with an average salary package of 2 lakh per annum, but gaining experience hikes the salary to a certain amount. However, a job profile is crucial in determining the candidates’ salary package. The salary of MSc Biochemistry candidates with different job roles is mentioned in the table below.
• Professor- 10 Lakh per annum
• Lab Technician- 2.5 lakh per annum
• Pharmacologists- 5.5 lakh per annum
• Research Scientist- 6.5 lakh per annum