Updated October 18, 2022
PhD in Biochemistry or Doctor of Philosophy in Biochemistry is a Doctorate course that takes three to five years to complete. It is a research-based course that involves studying living organisms at the cellular and molecular levels. Ph.D. in Biochemistry incorporates various disciplines of biological sciences such as medicine, genetics, forensics, microbiology, and plant science.
Candidates aspiring to pursue Ph.D. Biochemistry must have completed a postgraduate degree in Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Microbiology, or any other related discipline with a minimum aggregate of 55% marks. The admission process for Ph.D. Biochemistry is entranced-based, so further eligibility will be decided after the entrance exams and the consequent interview results.
Institutions offer admission to Ph.D. Biochemistry course based on marks scored in various state and national entrance exams. The most common entrance exams for this doctorate course are GATE, UGC-NET, CSIR-UGC-NET, etc. After Entrance Exams, some institutions also add Personal Interviews and Written Tests to their admission process for the final shortlisting of candidates.
PhD in Biochemistry Course Details
The table below presents the major highlights of the Doctor of Philosophy in Biochemistry course like Eligibility, Admission Process, Fees, Salary, etc.
|PhD in Biochemistry
|Doctorate of Philosophy in Biochemistry
|Three to five years
|Postgraduate degree in Biochemistry or other related
discipline with minimum aggregate of 55% marks or
5.5 CGPA on scale of 10
|Average Course Fee
|INR 40K to 4 Lakh
|Average initial Salary
|INR 4 to 15 LPA
|Top Recruiting Companies
|Cancer research institutes, Research Departments,
Drug Manufacturing Companies, Public Health
Entities, Educational Institutes, Environmental
Pollution Control, etc.
|Top Job Positions
|Forensic Scientist, Physician Associate, Analytical
Chemist, Clinical Biochemist, Clinical Research
Associate, Biomedical Scientist, Toxicologist,
Healthcare Scientist, Research Scientist (Life Sciences),
Scientific Laboratory Technician, etc.
PhD in Biochemistry Admission Process
Institutions mostly grant admission to Ph.D. Biochemistry based on Common or University level Entrance Exam Scores. Mentioned below are the different steps in the admission process for Ph.D. Biochemistry involves.
- Candidates must register and appear for the common or university level Entrance exam before the deadline.
- Candidates who qualify in the entrance exam will be called for an interview/counseling.
- The candidates present their research ideas in front of a research panel during the interview, and the research panel selects the candidates based on their research idea.
- Those candidates who are shortlisted for the course are required to do one-semester course work on “Research Methodology,” by the end of which the candidate should submit and defend their research proposal.
Ph.D. Biochemistry Eligibility Criteria
Candidates must meet the specific eligibility criteria for admission to the Ph.D. Biochemistry program. Listed below are the minimum eligibility criteria most institutions ask to offer admission to the Ph.D. Biochemistry course.
- Aspirants must have completed a Master’s degree in Biochemistry (Like MSc Biochemistry, MPhil Biochemistry, etc.) or related disciplines with an aggregate of 55% marks or a 5.5 CGPA out of 10.
- Relaxation of 5% of marks in the minimum required percentage is also given to the Candidates belonging to SC/ST/OBC (non-creamy layer), differently abled, and other categories.
- Candidates who hold a master’s degree in Pharmacy or Technology (M Pharm or MTech) or a bachelor’s degree program of more than a duration of 4 years, like MBBS and BDS, are also eligible for this course.
Ph.D. in Biochemistry Entrance Exams
Below are some common entrance tests for the PhD in Biochemistry chemistry program. Apart from these common entrance tests, some universities also conduct their own to provide admission to the program. The followings are the most common entrance test for the program.
- UGC-NET for JRF
- CSIR-UGC NET for JRF
- NBHM Entrance Exam
Top PhD Biochemistry Colleges in India
Several colleges/universities across the country provide PhD Biochemistry courses. Enlisted are a few “All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE)” approved colleges that offer this doctorate course.
- Calcutta University, Kolkata
- Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
- Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam
- Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Delhi
- Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi
- Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology, Patiala
- Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University, Aurangabad
- Jawaharlal Institute of PG Medical Education & Research, Pondicherry
Syllabus for Ph.D. in Biochemistry Course
The syllabus of PhD Biochemistry includes one year of course study, and in the remaining years, candidates complete their research work and submit it to the faculty member to get awarded with the degree. The table below is a semester-wise break of the syllabus of a year-long course study.
Particulars of PhD in Biochemistry Syllabus
|Subjects/topics to Study
|Cell Biology I
|Molecular Biology I
|Proteins – Structure, Folding and Engineering
|Applications of Proteomics and Metabolomics
|Recombinant DNA Technology and Applications I
|Molecular Biology II
|Cell Biology II (Cellular Signaling)
|Immunology and Immuno-techniques
|Enzymes and Techniques in Biochemistry
|Recombinant DNA Technology and Applications II
Future Scope of PhD in Biochemistry
Ph.D. Biochemistry has vast scope for candidates and is growing every day because Biochemists are in high demand in private and public workforces. In fact, biochemistry is referred to as the “science of the future.” After completing the Ph.D. in biochemistry, high remuneration and excellent job possibilities are open to degree holders in areas like Public Health Organizations, Cancer Research Institutes, Educational Institutions, Environmental Pollution Control, Drug Manufacturing Companies, Industrial Laboratories, Private Health Organizations, etc.
Career growth of Biochemistry graduates is expected to rise by 11% from 2018 to 2028, which is higher than the average of other jobs. The fresher graduates are offered the average salary package of around INR 4 to 15 LPA, which tends to increase with experience.
Besides choosing a professional career option, Ph.D. Biochemistry graduates may become academic professionals and further extend their research in biochemistry, which is also a respectful career option.
PhD Biochemistry Employment sectors
After completing the Ph.D. degree in Biochemistry, graduates can start their professional journey in various employment sectors. Listed below are some prominent professional areas of employment in the public and private workforces.
- Cosmetics Companies
- Industrial Laboratories
- Educational Institutions
- Patent Law Organizations
- Sales and Marketing Firms
- Department of Agriculture
- Cancer Research Institutes
- Public Health Organizations
- Private Health Organizations
- National Science Foundation
- Drug Manufacturing Companies
- Food and Drinks Establishments
- Environmental Pollution Control
PhD in Biochemistry Jobs and Career
A plethora of job options in various professional employment areas are available to Ph.D. biochemistry graduates. Enlisted down are some most popular job profiles after the Doctor of Philosophy in Biochemistry.
- Senior Scientist
- Research Scientist
- Clinical Biochemist
- Molecular Biologist
- Biochemistry Educator
- Medical Research Scientist
- Clinical Laboratory Technologist
PhD in Biochemistry Salary in India
The average initial salary offered to a Ph.D. Biochemistry graduate stands around INR 4 to 15 lakh per annum, which tend to increase upon the added years of experience. Enlisted down are some most popular job profiles after the Doctor of Philosophy in Biochemistry with an average salary trend.
- Senior Scientist:- INR 8 Lakh Per Annum
- Research Scientist:- INR 12 Lakh Per Annum
- Molecular Biologist:- INR 5 Lakh Per Annum
- Clinical Biochemist :- INR 4 Lakh Per Annum
- Biochemistry Educator:- INR 10 Lakh Per Annum
- Medical Research Scientist:- INR 4 Lakh Per Annum
- Clinical Laboratory Technologist :- INR 5 Lakh Per Annum
FAQs on Doctor of Philosophy in Biochemistry
Ans:- A Ph.D. in biochemistry is a doctorate course that usually takes three to five years to complete in any reputed institution.
Ans:- Yes, you can do a Ph.D. in Biochemistry after MSc chemistry, but it depends on your research area. For instance, one with an MSc in biochemistry is pursuing a Ph.D. in chemistry, and their area of research is biology-related work, such as protein-related work.
Ans:- Every country is best for any learning, but considering the career opportunities and growth, some of the best countries to study Biochemistry abroad are as follows.
· Hong Kong
· United States
· United Kingdom
Reads Beyond Ph.D. Biochemistry Under Courses Listing
- MSc Data Science Offers Flooding Career Ops- Check Out!
- How Alternative Medicine Courses is Changing the Healthcare?
- Could Graduating with B. Tech Biotechnology be Truly Rewarding?
- Degree in PhD Microbiology is the Most Prominent Program- Check!
- What Makes BSc Molecular biology Specialized Course With Great Scope?