Updated October 18, 2022
MSc in Molecular Biology or Master of Science in Molecular Biology is a two-year full-time postgraduate degree program that takes two years to complete. The program provides the students with in-depth knowledge of various aspects of Biology, Medicine, and Biotechnology. Also, it enables them to utilize the latest developments and technology to create a cure and prevention for diseases.
To be eligible for the MSc Molecular Biology program, aspirants must have obtained a B.Sc. degree in disciplines like Microbiology, Botany, Zoology, or Genetics with a minimum aggregate of 50% marks or above from a recognized institution. Admission of the students to the program is made on a Merit basis where scores of qualifying examinations and entrance tests are considered.
Numerous reputed institutes in India, Dravidian University, Bangalore University, Indian Agricultural Research Institute, Mahatma Gandhi Mission Institute of Health Sciences, Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute, etc., offer the MSc Microbiology courses. The average fee charged in the colleges for M.Sc. The molecular Biology program in India ranges from INR 10K to 2LPA.
MSc in Molecular Biology Course Details
MSc in Molecular Biology is a two-year full-time postgraduate degree program that provides candidates a wide-ranging platform to help them develop the skills necessary to conduct research, organize data, and make scientific advances in medicine. It promises immense career opportunities for candidates in the field surrounding Biology. Below are the Major highlights of the program. So, check out below to learn about the program in a nutshell.
|Course Name||MSc in Molecular Biology|
|Full form||Master of Science in Molecular Biology|
|Course Duration||Two years|
|Minimum Eligibility||Obtaining B.Sc. degree in Biology or other related |
discipline like, Botany, Zoology or Genetic with 50%
aggregate and above from a recognized university.
|Admission process||Merit and Entrance Based|
|Average Course Fee||INR 10K to 2LPA|
|Average Initial salary||INR 3 to 10 LPA|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Agriculture, Aquaculture, Forensics, Medical, |
Pharmaceutical, Environmental science etc.
|Top Job Positions||Scientific Manager, Molecular Biologist, Pathologist, |
Technical Specialist, etc.
M.Sc. in Molecular Biology Eligibility Criteria
For applying to the MSc Molecular Biology program, candidates must meet some essential criteria, which can vary from one university to another. Mentioned below are the minimum eligibility criteria for M.Sc. Molecular Biology that followed by most institutions offering the program.
- Aspirants must have obtained a BSc degree in disciplines like Biology, Botany, Zoology, or Genetic with a minimum aggregate of 50% and above from a recognized university.
- Also, those aspirants who hold Bachelor’s degrees in Pharmacy, Agricultural, Medicinal, Dental, Engineering, Life Science, or Veterinary with the minimum required aggregate percentage are eligible for admission to the program.
- They should have also qualified in the entrance examination conducted by various state and national universities.
M.Sc. Molecular Biology Admission Process
Candidates aspiring to pursue to M.Sc. Molecular Biology must fulfill the criteria determined by the respective colleges and universities they have selected for admission. The eligibility criteria include a B.Sc. degree in disciplines like Biology, Botany, Zoology, or Genetic with a minimum aggregate of 50% marks and above from a recognized university. However, the eligibility criteria may vary from institution to institution. Admissions to the program are made on a Merit basis. So, the aspirants who meet the required eligibility criteria also have to pass the various state and national entrance examinations conducted for the program. And, for obtaining the merit of the candidates, the marks scored in qualifying tests and entrance exams are thereby calculated by the respective institution.
M.Sc. Molecular Biology Entrance Exams
Various state and national entrance examinations are conducted to provide admission to the M.Sc. Molecular Biology course. Listed are some top entrance tests for the program.
- ICAR AIEEA PG Entrance Exam
- JNU CEEB Combined Biotechnology Entrance Exam
- IIT JAM (Indian Institute of Technology Joint Admissions Test for MSc)
- Tata Institute of Fundamental Research Graduate School Admissions Exam
- AIIMS (All India Institute of Medical Sciences) MSc Biotechnology Entrance Exam
Top M.Sc. in Molecular Biology Colleges
One of the newest scientific disciplines, molecular biology is highly significant in research, academia, and business. Therefore, many reputed universities and colleges offer Master’s Courses in Molecular biology. Listed below are some top ones among them.
- Kannur University, Kerala
- Mysore University, Karnataka
- Bangalore University, Karnataka
- Dravidian University, Andhra Pradesh
- Indian Agricultural Research Institute, Delhi
- Yuvaraja’s College (Autonomous), Karnataka
- Bhavan’s New Science College, Andhra Pradesh
- Manipal University – Faculty of Science, Karnataka
- Tamil Nadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University, Tamil Nadu
- Jawaharlal Nehru Krishi Vishwavidyalaya, Madhya Pradesh
- Mahatma Gandhi Mission Institute of Health Sciences, Mumbai
Syllabus of M.Sc. Molecular Biology Course
The M.Sc. in Molecular Biology program is intended to give candidates a fundamental understanding of biological concepts they can employ to make significant advances in science and treating diseases. The program provides the candidates with a wide-ranging platform to help them develop the skills necessary to conduct research, organize data, and make scientific medical advances. Listed below are the subjects that the syllabus for MSc Molecular biology incorporates and are followed by most universities and colleges offering the program.
Particulars of MSc Molecular Biology Syllabus
|Practical in Biochemistry|
|Fundamentals of Molecular Biology|
|Semester II||Elective I|
|Interdisciplinary Course I|
|Concepts of Immunology|
|Applied Molecular Biology|
|Practical in Molecular biology|
|Metabolism of Carbohydrates and Lipids|
|Semester III||Elective II|
|Practical in Immunology|
|Interdisciplinary Course II|
|Metabolism of Proteins and Nucleic Acids|
|Physical Biochemistry and Biochemical Techniques|
|Interdisciplinary Course III|
Future Scope of M.Sc. in Molecular Biology
Molecular Biology is a branch of biology, so its scope is also connected with biotechnology, human genetics, and genetic engineering. Post pursuing the MSc Molecular Biology course, candidates can explore career opportunities in the biology field, such as Molecular Diagnostic Labs, Molecular & Structural Biology Units, Pharma Companies, Medical Labs, and so on, wherein they can hold lucrative positions.
Since this is a Master’s degree course, students also have the option of research or doctorate level studies in a related field such as Molecular Biology and Ph.D. Molecular Biology. Several job opportunities are available for them, such as conservationists, ecologists, and botanists, in medical laboratories, research centers, and institutes. Simply It is an avenue with numerous career opportunities.
MSc in Molecular Biology Jobs and Career Options
Candidates who have completed an M.Sc. degree in Molecular Biology are provided with a wide range of opportunities in the field concerned with Biology. The graduates have immense career opportunities in several industries of Private and Public workforces such as Molecular Diagnostic Labs, Molecular & Structural Biology Units, Pharma Companies, Medical Labs, and so on, wherein they can be recruited for lucrative positions. Listed below are popular career options for candidates after completing the MSc Molecular Biology Course.
- Quality Analyst
- Senior Scientist
- Research Associate
- Molecular Biologist
- Lab Operation Head
- Marketing Specialist
- National Sales Manager
- Clinical Research Assistant
- Regulatory Affairs Executive
- Technical Application Scientist
Graduates of MSc in Molecular Biology Salary
The average initial salary offered to the MSc Molecular Biology Graduates in India ranges from INR 3 to 10 Lakh Per Annum, depending on their job profiles and recruiters. However, their salary increases with gaining experience in the field. Listed are some popular job profiles after MSc Molecular Biology with average salary trends.
- Molecular Biologist:- INR 4 Lakh Per Annum
- Research Associate:- INR 3 Lakh Per Annum
- Lab Operation Head:- INR 10 Lakh Per Annum
- National Sales Manager:- INR 6 Lakh Per Annum
- Regulatory Affairs Executive:- INR 7 Lakh Per Annum
- Technical Application Scientist:- INR 5 Lakh Per Annum
FAQ on Master of Science in Molecular Biology Course
Ans:- MSc molecular biology is a two-year postgraduate program that focuses on various aspects of Biology, Medicine, and Biotechnology at the very basic molecular level, studying the structure of all organisms along with their function. Genetics, proteins, and nucleic acids are also included in this field.
Ans:- On Pursuing MSc in Molecular Biology, one can go for higher studies in the related field or become a professional in the molecular biology field. Some top job roles after MSc Microbiology are as follows.
· Senior Scientist
· Research Associate
· Molecular Biologist
· Lab Operation Head
· Clinical Research Assistant
· Regulatory Affairs Executive
· Technical Application Scientist
Ans:- Yes, MSc in Molecular Biology is an excellent career option. One of the newest scientific disciplines, molecular biology, significantly impacts research, academia, and business. A molecular biologist’s entire existence revolves around the cell and its constituent molecules.
Ans:- Every country is best for any learning but considering the career scope and opportunities, some best countries to study molecular biology are the UK, USA, Turkey, Canada, Belgium, Lebanon, and New Zealand.
Ans:- Candidates who have completed their B.Sc. degree in disciplines like Microbiology, Botany, Zoology, or Genetic with a minimum aggregate of 50% and above from a recognized institution, are eligible for applying to the program.
Reads Beyond M.Sc. Molecular Biology Under Courses Listing
- MSc Food & Nutrition Offers Flooding Career Ops- Check Out!
- How Alternative Medicine Courses is Changing the Healthcare?
- What Makes BA in Yoga a Specialized Course With Great Scope?
- Could Graduating with B. Tech Biotechnology be Truly Rewarding?
- MSc Data Science- Admission, Fees, Colleges, Syllabus, Jobs, & Scope
- Degree in PhD Microbiology is the Most Prominent Program- Check!