Updated October 18, 2022
MSc Zoology or Master of Science in Zoology is a two-year postgraduate degree program comprising four semesters of study. The program involves studying existing and extinct animals, which includes biology, behavior, and their structure.
Candidates who aspire to pursue a Master of Science in Zoology must be a bachelor’s degree holder in Zoology or Medical Sciences, Allied Sciences, Biosciences, and any Life Sciences specialization with a minimum aggregate of 50% marks.
Institutions provide admission to the program either based on merit or score of entrance exams conducted at the university level. Some colleges/universities also include a personal interview round into their admission process.
Various reputed institutes like Banaras Hindu University, University of Hyderabad, Calcutta University, Jadavpur University, etc., offer the MSc Zoology Course and the average tuition fee at different institutes is around INR 21K to 1.5LPA.
Highlights of MSc Zoology Course
The table below presents the key highlights of the Master of Science in Zoology course.
|Course Name||MSc Zoology|
|Full-form||Master of Science in Zoology|
|Minimum Eligibility||BSc in Zoology, Medical Sciences, Allied Sciences, |
Biosciences, or any Life Sciences specialization
|Admission Process||Entranced and Merit Based|
|Average Course Fee||INR 21K to 1.5 Lakh Per Annum|
|Average Salary Offered||INR 4 to 10 Lakh Per Annum|
|Top Recruiting Areas||College/Universities, Zoo and National Park, |
Agricultural Sector, Food Park, Plant Research
|Top Job Positions||Zookeeper, Wildlife Rehabilitator, Zoology Teacher, |
Wildlife Educator, Research Associate, etc.
M.Sc. in Zoology Admission Process
The leading institutes across India that offer MSc Zoology grant admission to the program either based on entrance exam performance or Marks obtained at graduation level and other previous academic records. Some popular entrance examinations for the MSc Zoology program are BHU PET, AMU PGET, AUCET, ALU PGET, etc. Candidates who want to secure admission into MSc Zoology must follow the following steps.
- Dates for registration are announced in advance by the conducting authorities/institutes. So, candidates are required to check out regularly the notification of the institutes they are looking for admission into.
- They must register and appear for the entrance examination. But before appearing for the entrance examination, look for the syllabus and the past papers and practice promptly.
- The candidates who score par or above the cut-off in the entrance examination are invited for an interview round.
- They appear for the personal interview, and those who have passed the personal interview round are given an offer letter for admission.
- And finally, the qualified candidates must pay the admission fee within the provided time to lock the admission seats in the program.
MSc in Zoology Eligibility Criteria
The candidates who want to apply for admission to the MSc Zoology program must meet the eligibility criteria determined by the institutes. The minimum eligibility criteria followed by most institutes offering the program are mentioned below.
- The candidate must be a BSc degree holder in Zoology, Medical Sciences, Allied Sciences, Biosciences, or any Life Sciences specialization from a recognized institute.
- They should have also secured the minimum aggregate of 50% marks in their graduate level examination.
Popular MSc Zoology Entrance Exams
Various institutes conduct their own entrance examination for offering admission to this program. Listed below are some popular entrance tests for the MSc Zoology program.
- PUET (Pune University Entrance Test)
- DUET (Delhi University Entrance Test)
- CUAT (Christ University Assessment Test)
- AUCET (Andhra University common Entrance Test)
- ALU PGAT (Allahabad university Postgraduate Admission Test)
- BHU PET (Banaras Hindu University Postgraduate Entrance Test)
- AMU PGAT (Aligarh Muslim University Postgraduate Admission Test)
To MSc Zoology Colleges in India
Institutes that offer the MSc Zoology courses across India are in significant numbers. According to the NIRF ranking, the top ten universities in India that offer MSc Zoology programs are listed below.
- Bethune College, Kolkata
- Anna University, Chennai
- Bangabasi College, Kolkata
- Calcutta University, Kolkata
- Jadavpur University, Kolkata
- University of Delhi, New Delhi
- Maulana Azad College, Kolkata
- Lady Brabourne College, Kolkata
- Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh
- Bharathiar University, Coimbatore
- Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad
- Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune
- Dinabandhu Andrews College, Baishnabnagar
- Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal
Master of Science in Zoology Syllabus
The MSc Zoology is a postgraduate program that lasts for two years and is divided into four equal semesters of study. Various subjects and topics are taught during the program. The subjects might be different during different semesters, but the topics taught are usually the same by most of the institutes. Below is the semester-wise breakup of the syllabus for the MSc Zoology program.
Particulars of MSc Zoology Syllabus
|Semester I||Genetics and Genetic Engineering|
|Ecological theories and applications|
|Tissue structure Function and Chemistry|
|Structure and Functions of Non-chordates|
|Parasites and Immunity Laboratory course|
|Semester II||Laboratory course|
|Cell and Receptor Biology|
|Comparative Animal Physiology|
|Endocrinology and Neuroscience|
|Biochemistry and Molecular biology|
|Structure and Functions of Chordates|
|Semester III||Elective I Theory|
|Elective I Practical|
|Taxonomy and Biodiversity|
|Evolution and Animal Behavior|
|Development and Differentiation|
|Semester IV||Elective II Theory|
|Elective II Practical|
|Laboratory course (I Module)|
|Biotechnology and Applications|
|Conservation Biology and Wildlife|
|Biostatistics, Bioinformatics, and Instrumentation|
Scope after M.Sc. Zoology Course
MSc Zoology promises vast scope for the students both in the present and future. Post pursuing the program, candidates can explore employment opportunities in the private and government sectors. The graduates in MSc Zoology are hired for job roles like animal trainers, zoologists, zookeepers, wildlife educators, researchers, wildlife biologists, etc. Apart from working in a zoology-related field, one can also go for research-based programs or study for competitive examinations like civil services. Some further study options are available for MSc Zoology graduates, such as MPhil in Zoology, PhD in Zoology, BA LLB, Management courses and various postgraduate programs in relevant disciplines.
MSc Zoology Jobs and Career Options
Post Pursuing the M.Sc. Zoology program, the graduates can explore job opportunities in both government and private workforces. The area of employment for the graduates in MSc Zoology are academic institutions, zoos and national parks, the agricultural sector, the food industry, etc. Listed below are some job options available after the MSc Zoology course.
- Animal trainer
- Wildlife Biologist
- Field Trial Officer
- Zoology Professor
Graduates in MSc Zoology Salary
The Salary offered to the postgraduates in M.Sc. zoology varies depending on the factors like job profile, experience, skillset, organizations and so on. However, their initial starting salary ranges from INR 4 to 10 Lakh Per Annum, depending on their job profiles. Below are some top profiles after Master of Science in Zoology with their salary structure.
- Zoologist:- INR 8 Lakh Per Annum
- Veterinarian:- INR 5 Lakh Per Annum
- Animal Trainer:- INR 3 Lakh Per Annum
- Conservationist:- INR 4 Lakh Per Annum
- Wildlife Biologist:- INR 5 Lakh Per Annum
FAQs on Master of Science in Zoology
Ans:- After completing their degree in M.Sc. Zoology, numerous career opportunities are available for candidates in the public and private sectors. Graduates can be employed as Animal Behaviourist, Conservationist, Wildlife Biologist, Zoo Curator, Wildlife Educator, Zoology faculty, Forensic experts, lab technicians, Veterinarians, etc.
Ans:- Some of the top job profiles that the candidate can aspire to after completing the M.Sc. Zoology Program are Zoologist, Wildlife conservationist, Animal Trainer, Wildlife Educator, Zookeeper, Zoo Officer, Wildlife Researcher, Associate Research Scientist, etc.
Ans:- M.Sc. Zoology or Master of Science in Zoology is a two-year postgraduate degree program comprising four study semesters. The program involves studying animals, including the biology, behaviour, and structure of animals.
Reads Beyond M.Sc. Zoology Under Courses Listing
- MSc Food & Nutrition Offers Flooding Career Ops- Check Out!
- How Alternative Medicine Courses is Changing the Healthcare?
- What Makes BA in Yoga a Specialized Course With Great Scope?
- Could Graduating with B. Tech Biotechnology be Truly Rewarding?
- Degree in PhD Chemistry is the Most Prominent Program- Check!
- MSc Data Science- Admission, Fees, Colleges, Syllabus, Jobs, & Scope