Updated September 23, 2022
Each year, World Blood Donor Day is celebrated on the 14th of June around the world. It is established to thank the blood donors for their precious moves and for saving the lives of the people. This day encourages adult people, to join the campaign and donate blood so that those who need blood can get it.
Donating blood is a simple, pain-free, and extremely safe procedure, so everyone eligible can donate blood. There is no substitute for human blood on the planet, and every two seconds someone requires blood, and approximately 38,000 blood donations are needed every day. Therefore, blood donation events are organized to fulfill the requirement for blood.
World Blood Donor Day 2022
World Blood Donor Day (WBDD) is one of the important international days celebrated across the globe on the 14th of June. It is an annual event, organized to spread awareness about the significance of blood donation, especially by highlighting how blood donations have saved and changed many lives.
Blood Donation Day is celebrated on June 14 to mark the birth anniversary of Karl Landsteiner. The day aims to bring awareness of the need for safe blood and blood products for transfusion. And to thank voluntary unpaid blood donors and acknowledge their contribution to saving millions of lives.
History of World Blood Donor Day
The first World Blood Donor Day was observed by World Health Organization in 2004. It was declared an annual global event by the 58th World Health Assembly in 2005. WBDD is the joint initiative of the World Health Organization, the International Federation of Red Cross, and Red Crescent Societies and is among the 11 official global public health campaigns marked by the WHO.
The day is observed on the birth anniversary of Austrian physician, biologist, and immunologist Karl Landsteiner. He was born on June 14, 1868, in Vienna, Austria. He was the first to classify human blood A, B, AB, and O. In 1930 he won the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine “for his discovery of human blood groups.”
Importance of World Blood Donor Day
The reasons behind celebrating World Blood Donor Day are to generate global awareness of the need for safe blood and blood products for transfusion and to recognize the crucial contribution of voluntary, unpaid blood donors to make national health systems.
WBDD provides an opportunity to call to action to governments and NHA or national health authorities to provide sufficient resources and put into place systems and infrastructures to increase the collection of blood from voluntary, non-remunerative blood donors.
World Blood Donor Day 2022: Theme
This year Mexico will host World Blood Donor Day through its National Blood Centre. And, the theme for 2022 is “Donating blood is an act of solidarity. Join the effort and save lives”. The theme is highlighting the roles that voluntary blood donations play in saving lives and enhancing solidarity within communities.
Quotes for Blood Donation Day
- “The best blood will at some time get into a fool or a mosquito.” – Austin O’Malley
- “No one has ever become poor by giving.” -Anne Frank
- “Remember that the happiest people are not those getting more, but those giving more.” -H. Jackson Brown Jr.
- “We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men.” -Herman Melville
- “You are Rock Star in someone’s life, donate blood.”- Unknown
- “You are not important because of how long you live; you are important because of how effective you live.” – Myles Munroe
- ” Never refuse to donate blood if you can, as you may be the next needy.”-Unknown
- “We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.” -Winston Churchill
- “There is no exercise better for the heart than reaching down and lifting people up.” – John Holmes
- “Donate your blood for a reason, let the reason be life.”- Unknown
- “I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, and sweat” -Winston Churchill
- “Never feel yourself weak, you have the ability to save a life. Just donate blood.”-Unknown
- “Making a donation is the ultimate sign of solidarity. Actions speak louder than words.” – Ibrahim Hooper
- “Your blood is precious: Donate, save a life & make it Divine.”- Unknown
- “Every drop of blood is like a breath for someone! Donate blood.”- Unknown
Questions Mostly Asked About World Blood Donor Day
Ans: World Blood Donor Day is celebrated to spread awareness about the significance of blood donation.
Ans: In 2004 the first World Blood Donor Day was celebrated by World Health Organization.
Ans: “Donating blood is an act of solidarity. Join the effort and save lives”.
Ans: Charles Richard Drew