Updated September 23, 2022
World Food Safety Day (WFSD) is celebrated on 7 June around the world. The objective of celebrating the day is to educate people about the importance of safe food and encourage them not to eat contaminated food and water.
A safe and healthy meal is essential for good health and nutrition. It helps us in various spheres of life. A healthy diet does not only impact our physical health but mental health too. It protects you against many chronic non-communicable diseases, such as heart disease, diabetes, and cancer.
World Food Safety Day
Every year, World Food Safety Day (WFSD) is celebrated on 7 June around the world to draw public attention to contaminated food and water risks. This day focuses on the way to reduce the risk of foodborne illness, also called food poisoning, and improve human health.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has proposed this day to draw attention and inspire actions to help prevent, detect and manage foodborne risks contributing to food safety, human health, economic prosperity, development, sustainability on the Earth, etc.
History of World Food Safety Day
The UN (United Nations) assigned two of its agencies, the WHO (World Health Organization) and the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) to lead efforts toward food safety to decrease the burden of foodborne diseases around the world.
A resolution was approved on December 20, 2018, by the United Nations general assembly (UNGA) to mark June 7 as the day to “celebrate the myriad benefits of safe food”. Moving forward, the World Health Assembly (WHA) passed a resolution on August 3, 2020, to celebrate June 7 as World Food Safety Day each year.
World Food Safety Day was established by the United Nations General Assembly in December 2018. The WHO, in collaboration with FAO of the United Nations associated with the Member States and other organizations relevant to this field, decided to celebrate the first food safety day on 7th June 2019.
Significance of World Food Safety Day
According to World Health Organization (WHO), each year approximately 600 million people in the world fall ill and 420,000 die due to foodborne diseases. In fact, every 1 in 10 people around the world falls sick after consuming contaminated foods or beverages. Children between the age of 1 and 5 years carry 40% of the foodborne disease burden with 125000 deaths annually.
Hence, the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) established World Food Safety Day in 2018 to raise awareness about the seriousness of food safety, and for promoting and inspiring actions to manage foodborne diseases at global levels including local, national, and regional.
World Food Safety Day 2022 Theme
The theme of World Food Safety Day 2022 is “Safer Food, Better Health”. This year’s theme is highlighting the tremendous benefits of safe and healthy meals. And, giving us a message that safe food is one of the most critical guarantors of good health.
Quotes for World Food Safety Day
- Civilization, as it is known today, could not have evolved, nor can it survive, without an adequate food supply. -Norman Borlaug
- Food safety involves everybody in the food chain -Mike Johanns
- Let your food be your medicine, and your medicine be your food. -Hippocrates
- We may find in the long run that tinned food is a deadlier weapon than the machine gun. -George Orwell
- Our minds are like our stomachs; they are whetted by the change of their food and variety supplies both with a fresh appetite-Quintilian
- There are people in the world so hungry, that God cannot appear to them except in the form of bread. – Mahatma Gandhi
- “We’re going to do everything possible to make sure that food safety is always paramount, and that we work with the industry as aggressively as we can to make sure that we’re paying attention to the food-safety issues.” -Mike Johanns
- “Sorry, there´s no magic bullet. You gotta eat healthy and live healthy to be healthy and look healthy. End of story.” -Morgan Spurlock
- “The food that enters the mind must be watched as closely as the food that enters the body.” -Pat Buchanan
- “Get people back into the kitchen and combat the trend toward processed food and fast food.” -Andrew Weil
- “Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper.” -Adelle Davis
Slogans on World Food Safety Day
- Food is our common ground, a universal experience.
- Food safety and sanitation, for a healthier nation
- Keep food safe – clean, cook, cover, and chill.
- Safe food – be safe, be healthy, be well
- Eat what’s on your plant not what’s on the floor.
- Eat what’s on your plant not what’s on the floor
- Wash your hands before you eat, whether it’s an apple or meat.
- Food safety first, forget the rest
- Prepare and prevent, don’t repair and repent.
- Give your children clean food
- You need the determination to prevent food contamination.
- Get serious about food safety – safe food now for a healthy tomorrow
- Heat the food to the right degree, to make it healthy and germ-free.
- Stay away from junk food – safe food now for a healthy tomorrow
- It’s all about quality, not quantity.
Questions Mostly Asked About World Food Safety Day
Ans: “Safer Food, Better Health” is the theme for World Food Safety Day 2022.
Ans: The United Nations General Assembly (UNGA)
Ans: June 7, 2019
Ans: World Food Safety Day (WFSD) is celebrated to draw public attention to contaminated food and water risks.