Updated October 6, 2022
World No Tobacco Day or Anti-Tobacco Day is an annual awareness day sponsored by the World Health Organization (WHO) since 1987. The day is raised to spread awareness about the risk associated with the use of tobacco, and to discourage all tobacco consumers around the world to use tobacco.
Tobacco is an agricultural crop, its leaves have high levels of the addictive chemical nicotine, which can disrupt the part of the brain and harm health. After harvesting, mostly dried tobacco leaves are used for smoking in cigarettes and cigars or applying to the gums (as dipping and chewing tobacco), or inhaling (as snuff).
World No Tobacco Day
Each year, World No Tobacco Day (WNTD) is observed by the World Health Organisation (WHO) around the world on 31 May. This yearly celebration educates people about the risk associated with the use of tobacco. And, how second-hand smoke affects, their family, friends as well as smokers.
The anti-tobacco day is the day when smokers and tobacco consumers are encouraged to quit tobacco, and not to consume tobacco for at least 24 hours first. The toxic chemicals in tobacco smoke reach your brain, heart, and other organs. And, cause several diseases like cancer, staining of teeth, cardiovascular disease, tooth decay, and so on.
History of World No Tobacco Day
The member states of the WHO (World Health Organization) on 15 May 1987 passed a resolution WHA40.38, for celebrating 7 April 1988 as ” world no-smoking day”. This date was chosen because it was the 40th anniversary of the WHO. The aim of the day was to encourage all persons across the globe who smoke to quit for at least 24 hours.
Further, in 1988 another resolution (WHA42.19) was passed by the World Health Assembly of WHO, for celebrating World No Tobacco Day each year on 31 May. The day highlights the tobacco epidemic, the disease it causes, and preventable death. The WHO’s World Health Assembly had expected that anti-tobacco day would assist those trying to quit.
Significance of World No Tobacco Day
Since 1988, the World Health Organization (WHO) celebrates Anti-tobacco Day each year, on May 31. Their motive is to spread awareness about the hazardous diseases that can be caused due to tobacco chewing, to encourage governments to put several policies on tobacco products, and make the world tobacco-free.
According to World Health Organization, across the world, approximately 60% of tobacco consumers want to quit tobacco, but only 30% of the world population has access to quality tobacco cessation services. Therefore, Anti-tobacco Day is celebrated to help them to quit tobacco permanently.
World No Tobacco Day 2022 Theme
Every year, the World Health Assembly declares a specific theme related to tobacco and its industry for the WNTD (World No Tobacco Day), to highlight the purpose of the event. The theme of World No Tobacco Day 2022is “Protect the environment”.
Theme of Anti-tobacco Day 2022 is “Protect the environment, highlighting the impacts of tobacco farming on the environment such as excessive use of water, deforestation on a large scale, and contamination of the environment comprising air, water, soil, or soil living organisms.
World Health Organization (WHO)
The World Health Organization (WHO) was established on 7 April 1948, the headquarters are located in Geneva, Switzerland. It is a specialized agency of the United Nations (UN) that deals with major health issues around the world. The WHO is an organ of the United Nations Development Group. The WHO is the successor of the Health Organization (HO), which had been an agency of the League of Nations.
United Nations Economic and Social Council organized an international conference to counter the formation of a single health institution which finally adopted the Constitution of WHO on 22 July 1946. The World Health Organization came into existence on 7th April 1948. It has six regional offices and 150 field offices across the globe.
The World Health Organization is committed to improving access to health care for people in every country and in groups who do not get good health care. So, everywhere, everyone can attain the highest level of health.
Quotes for World No Tobacco Day
- “A cigar has” a fire at one end and a fool at the other.” — Horace Greeley
- “Smoking is an expenditure beyond your need.”
- “Tobacco is the only industry that produces products to make huge profits and at the same time damage the health and kill their consumers.” – Margaret Chan
- “If you’re thinking about smoking think again.”
- “I make it a rule never to smoke while I’m sleeping.” – Mark Twain
- “Don’t smoke – nicotine and tobacco can really hurt your skin.” – Paul Nassif
- “I don’t know how it started but someone must have noticed I was always chewing tobacco or smoking a pipe.” – Hank Sauer
- “Those who use tobacco, tea, and coffee should lay these idols aside, and put their cost into the treasury of the Lord.” – Ellen G. White
- “Smoking is like cutting onions…it affects you and the people beside you.”
- “The best time to stop smoking is when the cigarette arrives at the filter.”
- “Smoking is hateful to the nose, harmful to the brain, and dangerous to the lungs.” – King James
- “Smoking kills. If you’re killed, you’ve lost a very important part of your life.” – Brooke Shields
- “If you substitute marijuana for tobacco and alcohol, you’ll add eight to 24 years to your life.” – Jack Herer
- “One of the great regrets of my life is that I smoked. If I could say anything to anybody starting out in life it would be, ‘Whatever you do, don’t smoke’. I have had to recover from that and been lucky that I have been able to stop.” — Bill Nighy
- “[To a priest who smoked:] What a shame for a man to dress like a saint and smell like a devil!” — Carrie Nation
- “There are no crowds out there demanding to see smoking scenes in movies.” — Joe Eszterhas
Slogans on World No Tobacco Day
- Say YES to NO Smoking
- Stop…you are burning your life flower.
- Cancer Is No Joke, So Put Down That Smoke.
- Smoking? You must be joking
- Smokers are jokers
- Smoking reduces your weight.
- Don’t put your lips on fire
- Replace your cigarettes with a glass of juice daily.
- Smoking takes life…. Cut it out from your life!
- Cigarettes Burn Holes in Your Pocket.
- You don’t have to smoke to be hot!
- Tar the roads, not your lungs.
- We need to burn calories daily, not tobacco.
- Smoking will be a crime in time
- Either smoke can stay in your life or good health…. Choose what you want.
- Don’t Be A Wacko Stop Tobacco!
- Sometimes quitters do win.
- If you love your family then say no to smoking and tobacco.
- Smoking thrills, but it also kills.
- Be Smart, Don’t Start.
Questions Mostly Asked About World No Tobacco Day
Ans: World No Tobacco Day is celebrated to highlight the risk associated with the use of tobacco, and encourage all persons to quit tobacco.
Ans: “Protect the environment” is the theme of World No Tobacco Day 2022.
Ans: 31 May
Reads Beyond Anti-tobacco Day Under Awareness
Why Green Crackers are Eco-friendly Replacement of Usual Firecrackers?
What Remarkable EAM Dr. S. Jaishankar Did in 4th 2+2 Meet With USA?
What is Full Form of BSA and Remarkable Elements to Know About?
How MLCs and Different from MLA and Why Should You Know about?
What are The Top Reasons to Study in USA Attracting Students Globally?