Updated October 18, 2022
BA Political Science or Bachelor of Arts in Political Science is a 3-year undergraduate degree program in humanity. The course involves studying the political conduct, description & analysis of political systems, and Philosophy & application of politics in both national and international political systems for the betterment of the nations.
Students who wish to pursue this UG course have to meet the specific eligibility criteria. They must have passed out 12th or any equivalent examination from a recognized board with minimum aggregate of 50% marks. The admission offered to the course is usually based on the Merit obtained by the candidates in their senior secondary examination.
Numerous colleges in India offer this UG Course, and some of the top among them are Hindu College, Hansraj College, Fergusson College and St. Xaviers College. The average annual fee charged by the different institutions ranges from INR 10K to 1 lakh per annum, depending on the authority and reputation of the institution.
B.A. Political Science Course Details
The table below presents you with the highlights of the BA Political Science Course. So, Check out below to get the overview of the Bachelor of Arts in Political science Program.
|BA Political Science
|Bachelor of Arts in Political Science
|Minimum educational Qualification
|12th from recognized board with minimum aggregate of 50% marks
|Average Fee Incurred
|INR 10K to 1 Lakh Per Annum
|Average Salary Offered
|INR 2 to 7 lakhs per annum
|Prominent Employment Sectors
|Federal, state and local governments, Law, Business and international organizations, Nonprofit associations and organizations, Electoral politics and polling, Journalism, Research and teaching, etc.
|Top Job Profiles
|Editor, News Reporter, Writer, Politician, Bank Manager, Clerk, etc.
|Higher studies Options
|M.A. in Political Science, MA in International Relations, etc.
BA Political Science Eligibility Criteria
For applying to the BA Political Science course, the students must fulfill the eligibility criteria listed below. But, it should be noted that the criteria for eligibility may differ from institution to institution. So, the aspirants are required to visit the official website of the college/universities they are interested in for admission.
- The candidates must have cleared class 12th in any stream from a recognized board.
- They should have also scored the minimum aggregate of 50% marks in their 12th board examination.
BA Political Science Admission Process
The admission offered to the BA Political Science program is commonly based on the Merit of candidates obtained in their higher secondary examination. The admission process for the program remains the same in most institutions, and below listed are the steps generally followed.
- The institutes that offer the program release the application form for admission to the program.
- Students are required to apply for the program either online or offline before the deadline.
- The admission to the course is based on the cutoff list, so the universities/ colleges release their respective cutoffs for the course.
- If the aggregate percentage obtained by the student in their higher secondary examination satisfies the cutoff criterion, they are granted access to the program.
BA Political Science Entrance Exams
The admission offered to the BA Political Science course is usually based on merit, but some institutions also conduct entrance exams to grant access to the program. A few of the entrance tests for admission into BA political science are listed below.
- NPAT (National Test for Programs After Twelfth)
- PUCET (Panjab University Common Entrance Test)
- IPU CET (Indraprastha University Common Entrance Test)
- JNUEE (Jawaharlal Nehru University Entrance Examination)
- BHU UET (Banaras Hindu University Undergraduate Entrance Test)
- TISS BAT (Tata Institute of Social Sciences Bachelor’s Admission Test)
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science Syllabus
The BA Political Science course is a three-year program comprising six semesters of study. The curriculum and syllabus of the program are almost similar for all the leading institutions. The table below presents you with a detailed syllabus structure of the course for better knowledge.
Particulars of BA Political Science Syllabus
|Understanding Political Theory
|Constitutional Government and Democracy
|Political Process in India
|Political Theory – Concepts and Debate
|Perspectives on Public Administration
|Introduction to Comparative Government and Politics
|Perspectives on International Relations and World History
|Public Policy and Administration in India
|Political Process and Institutions in Comparative Perspective
|Classical Political Philosophy
|Modern India Political Thought
|Indian Political Thoughts
|Modern Political Philosophy
Top B.A. Political Science Colleges
Many universities/colleges across the country offer a BA in Political Science course. Listed below are some of the top institutions offering the course.
- Fergusson College, Pune
- Hindu College, New Delhi
- Miranda House, New Delhi
- St. Xavier’s College, Kolkata
- St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai
- St Joseph’s College, Bangalore
- Presidency University, Kolkata
- Kristu Jayanti College, Bangalore
- University Of Lucknow, Lucknow
- Avadh Girls’ Degree College, Lucknow
- National Post Graduate College, Lucknow
- Lady Shri Ram College for Women, New Delhi
- K J Somaiya College of Arts & Commerce, Mumbai
B.A in Political Science Course Fees
The average fees charged for the program at different institutions ranges from 10K to 1 lakh per year, depending on the college one is applying to for admission. At government institutions, the fee expense for the program is comprehensively lesser than a private institution. For instance, the fee charged at OP Jindal Global University, a private institution, is approximately 35K per annum, and the University of Lucknow, a government institution, is around 9k per Annum.
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science Scope
In recent past years, B.A. Political Science has emerged as a top-rated course among students after the 12th class. Students aspiring to Civil services want to explore the different aspects of political science. With an increase in popularity of the program, the scope is also expected to increase in the coming years.
After graduating with B.A. in Political Science, students can choose to work as professionals in employment areas like Electoral politics and polling, Journalism, Research and teaching, etc. However, most of them prefer to increase their skill set by pursuing further education in their respective field. The options for higher studies are in significant numbers, and one can pursue M.A. in Political Science, MA in International Relations, etc. Besides pursuing the traditional M.A. options, Law can also be an option.
Top BA Political Science Jobs
Graduating with BA in Political Science offers an ample amount of career opportunities. Graduates in the subject can explore employment opportunities in Administrations, Law, Business and International organizations, NGOs, Public Service, Media, Education, and Social Service. Some of the top job roles after a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science are as follows:
- Budget Analyst
- Political Scientist
- Market Researcher
- Fundraising Manager
- Public Relations Manager
- Political Campaign Manager
Salary After BA Political Science
The average salary offered to a fresh BA political science graduate ranges between INR 2 to 7 Lakh Per Annum. The list below shows some of the top job profiles available to fresh BA Political Science graduates with their average salary package.
- Budget Analyst:- INR 7 Lakh Per Annum
- Political Scientist:- INR 6 lakh Per Annum
- Market Researcher:- INR 3.5 Lakh Per Annum
- Fundraising Manager:- INR 5.5 lakh Per Annum
- Public Relations Manager:- INR 6 Lakh Per Annum
- Political Campaign Manager:- INR 6 Lakh Per Annum
FAQs on Bachelor of Arts in Political Science
Ans:- Bachelor of Arts in Political science is a three-year bachelor’s degree program in humanity. The program focuses on developing in-demand job skills, such as critical thinking, research, and analytical abilities. These skills help graduates access career opportunities in various fields, including working in politics, the government, and the corporate or nonprofit sector.
Ans:- Yes, political science is a valuable degree because it helps lead the graduates to diverse career opportunities in many sectors, depending on one’s personality, preferences, and other skills. The study of the course also develops a character inside the students that encourages personal growth by enhancing social skills and analytical and critical thinking abilities.
Ans:- The Bachelor of Arts in Political Science offers great Career Options for the graduates. Some of the top career options candidates can aspire to after BA in Political Science are Civil Services, Policy Analyst, Law, Legislative Assistant, Social Media Manager, Journalism, Marketing Research Analyst, Teaching, etc.
Reads Beyond BA Political Science Course Under Courses Listing
- What Bachelor of Science in Horticulture is All About?
- What Makes MTech Biotechnology a Specialized Course?
- BA Honours Offers Flooding Career Ops- Check Out Here!
- Could Graduating with BTech Biotechnology be Rewarding?
- Degree in MSc Physics is the Most Prominent Program- Check!