Updated October 18, 2022
MA Political Science or Master of Arts in Political Science is a two-year postgraduate degree course. The program comprises four equal semesters and involves the in-depth study of different aspects of the national and international political system at an advanced level.
The program covers aspects like political conduct, description & interpretation of the political system and political philosophies & practices in both national and international political systems. It also covers historical and contemporary political structures, public policy, government policies and procedures, foreign relations and public affairs.
Candidates who have obtained a bachelor’s degree in Political Science or any relevant discipline with a minimum aggregate of 50% marks can apply for this PG course. Numerous colleges in India, like Hindu College, Lady Shri Ram College for Women, etc., offer admission to this course based on entrance exams. However, the colleges like Presidency College offer merit-based access to the program.
MA Political Science Course Details
Master of Arts in Political Science has emerged as a pretty popular program in the past few years and is offered by various reputed colleges in India. The table below presents you with the highlights of the MA Political Science Course.
|Course Name||MA Political Science|
|Full Form||Master of Arts in Political Science|
|Course Duration||Two years|
|Exam Pattern||Semester Wise|
|Eligibility Criteria||BA degree in Political Science or any relevant discipline with minimum aggregate of 50% marks|
|Admission Process||Entrance and Merit-Based|
|Popular Entrance Exams||BHU PET, JNUEE, DUET, IPU CET, etc.|
|Subjects Covered||Political Theory, Public Administration, International Relations, Comparative Politics, and Public Laws, etc.|
|Average Fees Incurred||INR 10K to 1 Lakh Per Annum|
|Average Salary Offered||INR 4to 8 Lakh Per Annum|
|Top Profiles||Consultant, Academician, Activists, Archivists and Political Content Writer, etc.|
|Prominent Recruiting Areas||Academic Institutions, Administration, Campaigns, Political Houses, etc.|
|Higher Studies Options||PhD in Political Science, MPhil in Political Science, etc.|
MA Political Science Eligibility Criteria
Several colleges in India offer MA Political Science Courses. Some of them are government, and some are private colleges. For applying to this PG Course, candidates need to fulfill specific eligibility criteria that remain the same in almost every government institution but may vary in a private institution. So, we have listed below the eligibility criteria for the MA Political Science Course that is generally accepted in most institutions offering the program.
- The aspirant must have obtained Bachelor’s degree in political science or any other relevant discipline from a recognized board.
- They should have also scored a Minimum of 50% marks in their graduate-level examination. However, the Minimum marks requirement may vary from institution to institution.
MA Political Science Admission Process
The admission process of the MA Political Science program depends on the colleges/universities candidates are interested in for admission. Different institutions follow different procedures for access. Some follow entranced-based and some Merit-based admission processes. For instance, colleges like Lady Shri Ram College for Women, St. Xavier’s College, etc., follow an entranced-based admission process. In contrast, colleges like Presidency College follow a merit-based admission process. The steps involved in different admission processes for the MA Political Science course are Listed below.
- After checking the eligibility criteria, aspirants need to apply for admission at an institution of their choice.
- In due course of time, the institutions release the cut-off list. If the candidates pass the cut-off criteria, they must submit the required document and admission fee for registering for the respective academic session.
Entranced Based Admission
- Aspirants need to apply and appear for the entrance test of the respective institutions they have chosen for admission.
- After the entrance test conducts, colleges shortlist the candidates based on their test scores.
- The shortlisted candidates are then invited for Group Discussion and Personal Interview. And based on the overall performance of the candidates, the institutions allot admission seats.
MA Political Science Entrance Exams
Various universities conduct entrance tests to provide admission to this PG course. Some of the popular entrance exams for MA Political Science admission are listed below.
- OUCET Osmania University Common Entrance Test
- DUCET (Dravidian University Common Entrance Test)
- IPU CET (Indraprastha University Common Entrance Test)
- JNUEE (Jawaharlal Nehru University Entrance Examination)
- BHU PET (Banaras Hindu University Post Graduate Entrance Test)
Top M.A. Political Science Colleges
There are around 1500 colleges across India that offer Political Science courses. Listed below are some of the leading MA Political Science colleges in India of India.
- Gargi College, Delhi
- Hindu College, Delhi
- Ramjas College, Delhi
- St. Xavier’s College, Kolkata
- Presidency College, Chennai
- Presidency University, Kolkata
- Osmania university, Hyderabad
- Lady Brabourne College, Kolkata
- Chandigarh University, Chandigarh
- Lady Shri Ram College for Women, Delhi
Master of Arts in Political Science Syllabus
MA Political Science is a two-year postgraduate program that involves studying different political aspects. The course’s Syllabus covers subjects based on political theory, critical analysis, philosophy, and ethics. However, the Syllabus for the program may vary from institution to institution, but the basic course modules remain the same. The table below presents you with the semester-wise break-up of the M.A. Political Science syllabus.
Particulars of MA Political Science Syllabus
|Semester I||Research Methodology|
|Contemporary Political Theory|
|Ancient Indian Political Thought|
|Western Political Thought (From Plato to Hegel)|
|Semester II||Political Sociology|
|Political Thinking Since Marx|
|Indian Constitutional System|
|Semester III||Politics in India|
|Modern Indian Political Thought|
|Semester IV||Indian Administration|
|Dissertation and Viva Voce|
|Concept and Issue in Political Science|
|Post-Cold War International Relations|
|State Politics with Special Reference to U.P.|
M.A Political Science Course Fees
The average fee charged for the program at different institutions ranges from 10K to 1 lakh per annum, depending on the authority and education quality of the institution. The fee expenses for the program at a government institution are comprehensively lesser than at a private institution. Because the government regulates the fee structure at the public institutions hence is always kept in check. At the same time, it depends on their criteria to regularize the fee structure at the private institutions.
Scope after M.A in Political Science
Demand for graduates with political science backgrounds is increasing day by day. Post pursuing the M.A in Political science program, the graduates can explore employment opportunities in both public and private workforce. They are offered various job roles with handsome salary packages in employment areas like Academic institutions, Administration, Campaigns, Political Houses, etc.
Besides exploring careers in these fields mentioned above, the graduates can also go for advanced courses in the related area. After completing the MA Political Science course, the two prime options for higher studies are MPhil and Ph.D. in Political Science. One can also aspire to conduct research and seminars after completing a Master of Arts in Political Science.
Top MA Political Science Jobs
Graduating with M.A. in Political Science promises the candidates a reputed and progressive career opportunity in administration, journalism, research, and politics. Some of the popular career options for postgraduates in Political science are listed below.
- PR Executive
- Budget Analyst
- Political Scientist
- Political Activists
- Budget Examiner
- Campaign Organizer
- Public Administration
- Political Correspondent
- Political Content Writer
Graduates in MA Political Science Salary
The average initial salary offered to the M.A. Political Science graduates ranges from 4 to 8 lakh per annum depending on their job profile experiences, skillset, job location, and colleges from where the degree has been obtained, etc. Their salary increases with gaining knowledge and polishing their skill sets. Below listed are some of the top job profiles after the Master of Arts in Political Science with average salary trends.
- Archivist:- INR 5 Lakh Per Annum
- PR Executive :- INR 7 Lakh Per Annum
- Political Activists:- INR 6 Lakh Per Annum
- Public Administration:- INR 8 Lakh Per Annum
- Academic Professional:- INR 6 Lakh Per Annum
- Political Correspondent:- INR 6 Lakh Per Annum
- Political Content Writer :- INR 5.5 Lakh Per Annum
FAQs on Master of Arts in Political Science Course
Ans:- Graduating with MA in Political Science leads the candidates to a comprehensive career in the diverse workforce. Some of the popular career options after Mater of Arts in Political Science are Political Consultant, Policy Analyst, Legislative Assistant, Public Opinion Analyst, Campaign Organizer, Corporate Social Policy Issues Analyst, Political Commentator, Legislative Analyst etc.
Ans:- Yes, M.A. in political science is quite a challenging course to pursue, but it depends on the candidates’ interests. If someone has so much passion for establishing a career in the political field, it will be easy for him, and if not, it will be challenging.
Ans:- The Department of Political Science offers a Master’s degree in Political Science intending to prepare the students to work in public and private international sectors and non-governmental organizations, think-tanks, foundations, and media companies focusing on regional, national, and national global issues.
Reads Beyond MA Political Science Course Under Courses Listing
- What Bachelor of Science in Horticulture is All About?
- What Makes MTech Biotechnology a Specialized Course?
- BA Honours Offers Flooding Career Ops- Check Out Here!
- Could Graduating with BTech Biotechnology be Rewarding?
- Degree in MSc Physics is the Most Prominent Program- Check!