Updated October 18, 2022
Bachelor of Engineering, also known as B.E. course, is a four-year undergraduate degree program comprised of 8 semesters. If the candidates have enrolled in a dual degree integrated course, the B.E. program lasts five years. The Bachelor of Engineering is a knowledge-oriented program that deals with theoretical-based research to get a practical solution. The B.E. course provides the candidates with plenty of options for specializations in the Engineering sphere. The program is offered in various public and private institutions with different streams and specializations.
Candidates who aspire to be a Bachelor of engineer must have completed 12th or equivalent in science stream with subject combination of Physics Chemistry and Biology from a recognized board. Candidates also need to secure a minimum aggregate of 50% Marks in their 12th board examination.
Various institutions in India like IIT Madras, IIT Hyderabad, BITS Pilani, VIT University, Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology, NIT Karnataka, etc., offer renowned B.E. courses. The average fee expense for the B.E. course ranges between 3 to 8 lakhs. The fees for the program vary depending on the authority (Public or Private) and the standard of the institutions.
Bachelor of Engineering has a huge employment opportunity. After completing the program, candidates can receive the starting average salary of 6 to 8 lakh per annum, depending on their Job profiles and Specializations.
Specialization in Bachelor of Engineering
Bachelor of Engineering has been recognised as one of the most reputed courses in the science domain worldwide for a very long time. The program provides the candidates with great placement opportunities across colleges/universities and various other employment sectors. The BE course encompasses several streams for specialization, and below are some of the top specializations.
- Mining Engineering
- Marine Engineering
- Nuclear Engineering
- Software Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Biological Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Geological Engineering
- Aerospace Engineering
- Petroleum Engineering
- Automotive Engineering
- Electrical Controls Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
Bachelor of Engineering Eligibility
Candidates who aspire to be B.E graduates must fulfil certain eligibility criteria. However, it may vary from institution to institution, but below mentioned are the minimum eligibility criteria that most institutes accept.
- Candidates must have completed 12th or equivalent in science stream from recognized board and PCM as mandatory subjects.
- It is also mandatory for the candidates to secure a minimum aggregate of 50% marks in their 12th board examination.
- The minimum marks required for the program may extend up to 75 percent, depending on the institution candidates choose for admission.
B.E course Admission Process
Admission to the B.E. program is made through the entrance exam, and various national, state and university level entrance exams are conducted to offer admission to the program. Therefore, below are some of the steps candidates need to follow for enrolling in the program.
- Admission offers to the program are based on the entrance test performance of the candidates. So, candidates have to appear and qualify in any of the entrance tests for the B.E. program.
- Based on the standard entrance test performance, the institutions shortlist the candidates for offering admission. Most institutions follow common entrance tests like JEE Main and Advance, etc., while the rest conduct their entrance test.
- Few colleges in India also offer admission to the program based on the merit of the candidates in the 12th board examination.
B.E Course Entrance Exams
Candidates who aspire to be a Bachelor of Engineer need to appear and qualify in the entrance test. Both Public and private institutions conduct numerous entrance tests for providing admission to the program. Below are some of the popular entrance examinations for the Bachelor of Engineering program.
- Karnataka Common Entrance Test (KCET)
- Tamil Nadu Engineering Admissions (TNEA)
- Uttar Pradesh State Entrance Exam (UP-SEE)
- Maharashtra Common Entrance Test (MHT-CET)
- SRM Joint Engineering Entrance Exam (SRMJEEE)
- West Bengal Joint Entrance Examination (WBJEE)
- Indraprastha University Common Entrance Test (IPU-CET)
- Joint Entrance Exam Main and Advance (JEE Main & Advance)
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science Admission Test (BIT-SAT)
- Vellore Institute of Technology Engineering Entrance Exam (VITEEE)
Top Bachelor of Engineering Colleges
India is filled with colleges and universities, and several colleges/universities offer renowned B.E courses for students who aspire to a career in the engineering field. Below listed are some of the top colleges for Bachelor of Engineering courses.
- Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
- Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
- Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay
- Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore
- Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- Delhi Technological University, New Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology, Hyderabad
- National institute of Technology, Karnataka
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani
- Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology, Orissa
B.E. Course Career Prospects
Bachelor of Engineering is one of the most reputed programs across the world. After graduating with B.E Degree, candidates are granted access to a comprehensive career scope in the majority of the sectors. Post pursuing the program, candidates are hired by top recruiters like Microsoft, Google, TCS, CTS, Infosys, Apple, ISRO, Intel, Tech Mahindra, IBM Global Services, HCL Technologies, Accenture Services, Morgan Stanley, etc., for their technical skills and theoretical knowledge. B.E graduates receive a lucrative salary package. Their average starting salary may range from 6 to 8 lakh per annum, depending on specialization, job profile, experience, skillset, recruiter, etc.
Bachelor of Engineering Jobs
Post pursuing the Bachelor of Engineering program, candidates get employment opportunities with various designations in the public and private sectors. Below are some of the top Job Profiles B.E graduates designated with.
- Data Analyst
- Business Analyst
- Software Engineer
- IT System Manager
- Assistant Engineers
- Software Developer
- Database Administrator
B.E and B. Tech. Courses: Differences
The two identical terms, including the Bachelor of Engineering and Bachelor of Technology, often create confusion in students’ minds. They are similar regarding orientation, and it is essential to be aware of specific details about these two programs. The main distinction is B.E. is the term used to describe the theoretical study of science, whereas B.Tech. is more application-based. The first one concentrates on the engineering aspects of science, while the latter one allows for technical aspects of science. But the basic curriculum of both the courses is the same to a large extent.
Mostly Asked Questions on B.E. Course
Ans- B.E full form Bachelor of Engineering is a knowledge-based program while BTech full form Bachelor in Technology is a skill-oriented program. And this is the reason BTech has a more updated curriculum as the skills change as per industrial needs.
Ans- Students who want to pursue a Bachelor of Engineering must have completed 12th in science stream with subject combination of Physics, Chemistry, and Biology from any recognized board. It is also mandatory for the aspirant to secure 50% marks in their 12th board examination. Some colleges also ask for a minimum aggregate of 75% marks in a higher secondary degree. Diploma holders in engineering can also apply for the B.E program.
Ans- Although every course is best in its way, some of the best BE courses are Computer Science and Engineering, Electronics and Communication Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering, and Aerospace Engineering.
Reads Beyond Bachelor of Engineering Under Courses Listing
- BSc in Maths
- BSc in Statistics
- B Pharma Course
- BSc in Psychology
- Diploma in Nursing
- Paramedical Courses
- OT Technician Course
- BMS Marketing Course