Updated October 18, 2022
BSc Food Science and Nutrition or Bachelor of Science in Food Science and Nutrition is a three years undergraduate program in Food Technology. The program is primarily based on the rationality behind how human nutrition and food science interact and how the two fields are combined. The core subjects the course curriculum incorporates are epidemiology, food microbiology, food science, public health, physiology practical, etc.
Candidates who aspire to pursue B.Sc. Food Science and Nutrition programs are required to fulfill the minimum qualification criteria. The aspirants must have completed 12th or equivalent in science stream with a subject combination of Physics, Chemistry, and Biology from a recognized educational board. The program’s admission process is merit-based, and the average tuition fee ranges from 20K to 2LPA, depending on the selection of the institution.
BSc Food Science and Nutrition Course Details
The table below presents some of the major highlights of the B.Sc. Food Science and Nutritionist courses like top colleges, syllabus, jobs, career scope, salary, etc.
|BSc Food Science and Nutrition
|Bachelor of Science in Food Science and Nutrition
|12th or equivalent in science stream with subject
combination of Physics chemistry and Biology
from a recognized educational board
|Average tuition fee
|INR 20K to 2 LPA
|Average Initial salary
|INR 3 to 6 LPA
|Top Job Positions
|Food Research Analyst, Food Services Manager,
Food Technologist, Nutrition & Dietician, Teacher &
Lecturer, Marketing Food & Nutrition Manager,
Fitness Trainer & Aerobics Instructor, etc.
|Top Employment Areas
|Colleges & Universities, Food & Nutrition Consultancy,
Agriculture Sector (research), Marketing (Branding)
Food & Nutrition Companies, Hospitals, Food
Processing Companies, etc.
BSc Food Science and Nutrition Admission Process
The admission process for BSc in Food Science and Nutrition is very simple and more or less similar to other BSc programs. Institutions offering BSc Food Science and Nutrition course grant access to the program based on Merit obtained by the candidates in the qualifying examination (12th or equivalent). Discussed below are the major steps in this course’s admission process.
- Visit the official website of the respective college/university and register yourself.
- Fill out the application form with personal and academic details, course preferences, etc.
- Attach and upload all mandatory documents as per the college prescription.
- In due course of time, the institution releases the merit list of the shortlisted candidates.
- If you made it to the merit list, submit the course fee for registering for the respective academic session.
BSc Food Science and Nutrition Eligibility Criteria
Candidates aspiring to pursue BSc in Food Science and Nutrition must meet the eligibility criteria prescribed by the institution offering this course. Candidates seeking admission to this undergraduate program must meet the listed eligibility criteria.
- Aspirants must have passed 12th or equivalent in science stream from a recognized educational board.
- They should have passed out their 12th board or equivalent with a subject combination of Physics, Chemistry, and Biology.
- The minimum score should of at least 45% in their higher secondary certificate (12th or equivalent).
- Depending on the institution’s norms, reserved categories are also given a 5% relaxation in the minimum required percentage in some institutions.
Top BSc Food Science and Nutrition Colleges
Several reputed colleges and universities across India that offer B.Sc. Food Science and Nutrition courses. Some of the top ones among them are enlisted down.
- Andhra University, Andhra Pradesh
- Budge Budge College, West Bengal
- Assam Down Town University, Assam
- Martin Luther Christian University, Meghalaya
- Dr. BMN College of Home Science, Maharashtra
- Mohammad Ali Jauhar University, Uttar Pradesh
- Dr. M.G.R. Educational and Research Institute, Tamil Nadu
- Barrack pore Rastraguru Surendranath College, West Bengal
- Hiralal Mazumdar Memorial College for Women, West Bengal
- Sun International Institute for Tourism & Management, Telangana
Syllabus of B.Sc. in Food Science and Nutrition Course
B.Sc. Food Science and Nutrition is a three years undergraduate program that comprises six semesters of study. The course curriculum incorporates various subjects and topics to study. However, the academic curriculum of BSc in Food Science and Nutrition may vary from institution to institution. So, we have listed below the core subjects of the BSc Food Science and Nutrition prescribed by most institutions offering this undergraduate course.
Particulars of of BSc Food Science and Nutrition Syllabus
|Food Science I
|Human Nutrition I
|Food Science II
|Human Nutrition II
|Fundamentals of Food Preparation Practical
|Food Commodities I
|Food Commodities II
|Sanitation and Hygiene
|Practical: Food Science
|Practical: Community Nutrition
|Diet Therapy I
|Diet Therapy II
|Diet Therapy III
|Diet Therapy IV
|Nutritional Biochemistry I
|Nutritional Biochemistry II
|Food Preservation Practical
|Practical: Nutritional Biochemistry
|Practical: Detection of Food Adulteration
|Diet Therapy I Practical
|Diet Therapy II Practical
Best Books for B.Sc. Food Science and Nutrition
Books are the most important aspect of any course; the same goes for the Bachelor of Science in Food Science and Nutrition course. They carry comprehensive knowledge about any discipline. Listed below are a handful of books for Food Science and Nutrition.
- Food Science and Nutrition:- Sunetra Roday
- Dictionary of Food and Nutrition:- Sharma/Caralli
- Food Science, Nutrition and Safety:- Suri/Malhotra
- Question Bank on Food and Nutrition:- M R Prajapati
- Fundamentals of Foods, Nutrition and Diet Therapy:- Sumati R Mudambi
BSc Food Science and Nutrition Future Scope
BSc Food Science and Nutrition has enormous scope for graduates in employment areas like food services, health care, research & development organizations, multinational corporations, and so on. Post pursuing the B.Sc. Food Science and Nutrition course, graduates can opt for a wide range of professions.
They can also aspire to research and development degree programs within the industry, or graduates with social welfare bent of mind can go for public/social welfare by joining NGOs and the like organizations.
Besides choosing these career options, one can pursue further studies after B.Sc. Food Science and Nutrition such as M.Sc. Food Science and Nutrition, Ph.D. Food Science and Nutrition, etc.
Job Profiles after BSc Food Science and Nutrition
Some of the popular job profiles that candidates can pursue after completing their B.Sc. in Food Science, and Nutrition course are listed below.
- Food Research Analyst
- Food Services Manager
- Food Technologist
Salary after BSc Food Science and Nutrition in India
The salary of a B.Sc. Food Science and Nutrition graduate may vary depending on various factors like job profiles, experience, skillset, recruiter, job location, etc. However, the average initial salary offered to B.Sc. Food Science, and Nutrition professionals range from INR 3 to 6 Lakh Per annum. Some popular job profiles after B.Sc. in Food Science and Nutrition course with an average salary structure are listed below.
- Dietician:- INR 3 Lakh Per Annum
- Nutritionist:- INR 4 Lakh Per Annum
- Food Technologist:- INR 4 Lakh Per Annum
- Food Research Analyst:- INR 5 Lakh Per Annum
- Food Services Manager:- INR 6 Lakh Per Annum
FAQs on BSc Food Science and Nutrition Program
Ans:- After BSc in food and nutrition, the graduates can either start their professional journey by taking jobs in various professional areas or opt for further education in the related field. Some popular career options for B.Sc Nutrition and Dietetics graduates are Food Researcher, Food and Nutrition Quality Management Officer, Food Processing Manager, Nutritionist, Dietician, etc.
Ans:- Dieticians and nutritionists in clinics, hospitals, and multinational corporations are both employment options for nutrition and dietetics graduates, or becoming a registered dietitian (RD) is also possible. Graduates in this subject can also work in NGOs and for-profit businesses as project assistants, project associates, or head nutritionists.
Ans:- BSc Food Science and Nutrition or Bachelor of Science in Food Science and Nutrition is a three years undergraduate program in Food technology that primarily focuses on how human nutrition and food science interact with one another and how the two fields are integrated.
Beyond B.Sc. Food Science and Nutrition Under Courses Listing
- MSc Data Science Offers Flooding Career Ops- Check Out!
- How Alternative Medicine Courses is Changing the Healthcare?
- Could Graduating with B. Tech Biotechnology be Truly Rewarding?
- Degree in PhD Biochemistry is the Most Prominent Program- Check!
- What Makes BSc Molecular biology Specialized Course With Great Scope?