Updated October 18, 2022
MPhil in Computer Science or Masters of Philosophy in Computer Science is a year-long postgraduate degree course. The program deals with the primary areas of Computer Science and IT at the research level. It is designed to provide the students with a comprehensive background in Computer Science & Informatics for developing scholars into mature researchers.
After completing a Master’s in computer science or other relevant disciplines from a recognized university, candidates can apply for the MPhil in Computer Science. Admission to the program is mainly made based on the entrance examination performance followed by a round of personal interviews conducted by respective universities or any national authority.
MPhil in Computer Science Course Details
MPhil Computer Science offers huge opportunities for future graduates, so students in the Computer Science domain usually choose to do MPhil. The highlights of the course are mentioned in the table below.
|Course Name||MPhil in Computer Science|
|Full Form||Master of Philosophy in Computer Science|
|Degree level||Post Graduate|
|Course Duration||One year|
|Age Limit||No Age Limit|
|Eligibility Criteria||Masters in Computer Science or other relevant discipline|
|Admission Process||Entrance Test + PI|
|Average Course Fee||INR 5000 to 1.5 Lakh|
|Average Salary||INR 2 to 15 LPA|
|Top Recruiting Companies||HCL Technologies Ltd, HCL Technologies Ltd, |
International Business Machines Corp, Eclinical works LLC,
Infosys Limited, Oracle Corp, Cognizant, Accenture, etc.
|Top Job Profiles||Computer Scientist, system analyst or network analyst,|
IT Project Leader, Computer Science Technical Officer,
program manager, Software Development Project
Manager, Professor, etc.
MPhil in Computer Science Admission Process
Admissions to the MPhil Computer Science program are mainly made through Entrance Test that may be followed by a personal interview, counseling session, or group discussion conducted by the respective institute/university. And based on the overall performances and various MPhil Computer Science criteria fulfilled by the aspirants, admission seats are allocated.
If candidates are qualified in the National level Entrance Tests such as NET JRF, NET LS, GATE, SLET, etc., they are exempted from the university-level entrance exam. Still, they will have to qualify for personal interviews to secure admission to the program.
M.Phil. in Computer Science Eligibility Criteria
The candidates aspiring to pursue MPhil Computer Science must meet the minimum eligibility criteria mentioned below.
- Candidates must be a Master’s degree holder in Computer Science, IT Electronics, Computational Science, or Geo-Informatics such as MSc, MTech, and MCA from a recognized institute.
- They should have also secured a minimum aggregate of 55% marks or equivalent on the UGC point scale. However, the reserved categories (SC / ST / OBC / PH candidates) are given a relaxation of 5% marks or an equivalent grade.
- Candidates are also required to qualify in the entrance examination, followed by personal interviews conducted by respective universities. Those who have qualified NET JRF / NET LS / GATE / SLET are exempted from appearing for university entrance tests but need to appear for the personal interview round.
Popular M.Phil Computer Science Entrance Exams
Entrance tests are mandatory for admission to the M.Phil Computer Science Course. There are many university and national level entrance exams for the course that candidates need to qualify along with a good merit score to get admission to the reputed colleges. Below are some popular and mandatory MPhil Computer Science entrance exams.
- SLET (State Level Eligibility Test)
- TANCET (Tamil Nadu Common Entrance Test)
- GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering)
- CUCET (Central Universities Common Entrance Test)
- UGC NET (University Grants Commission National Eligibility Test)
Top MPhil in Computer Science Colleges in India
Reputed institutions that offer M.Phil in Computer Science courses in India are innumerable. Listed below are some of the top M.Phil. in computer science colleges/universities list for your reference.
- NIMS University, Jaipur
- Calicut University, Calicut
- Goa University, North Goa
- Christ University, Bangalore
- Mumbai University, Mumbai
- Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi
- Bharathiar University, Coimbatore
- Chandigarh University, Chandigarh
- Annamalia University, Chidambaram
- Kerala University, Thiruvananthapuram
Masters of Philosophy in Computer Science Syllabus
The MPhil in Computer Science syllabus incorporates both the taught portion and the research portion, during which a thesis project is carried out under supervision so that the students understand the different subjects of the course properly. The table below presents the syllabus breakup for the MPhil in Computer Science program.
Particulars of MPhil in Computer Science Syllabus
|Simulation and Modeling|
|Artificial Neural Networks|
|Concepts in Computer Science|
|Wireless Networks and Security|
|Object-Oriented Database Systems|
|Artificial Intelligence & Expert Systems|
Scope after M.Phil in Computer Science Course
M.Phil Computer Science promises huge scope for students. After pursuing the program, candidates can explore career opportunities in government and private workforces. The unreal growth in computer science provides the option of working in a wide range of highly specialized fields.
Computer science skills are in high demand in many different sectors as the role of digital technology is increasing in all facets of modern life. If the graduates are interested in working abroad, MPhil Computer science makes it accessible by offering such quality knowledge.
The options of higher education for M.Phil Computer Science graduates are also available. In this case, some options are Ph.D., MBA, and M.Tech in computer science or other relevant domain. Higher education in the computer science domain helps the graduates get the best salary offer in India and abroad.
MPhil in Computer Science Jobs and Career
Pursuing MPhil in Computer Science makes one eligible for admission to a Ph.D. program and an assistant professorship in different universities. And along with that, the consulting companies also recruit students to assist with research ventures. Some top job positions available after MPhil in Computer Science are listed below.
- IT Project Leader
- Research Analyst
- Program manager
- Assistant Professor
- Computer Scientist
- Academic Professional
- System analyst or Network analyst
- Computer Science Technical Officer
Postgraduate in MPhil Computer Science Salary
The salary of the postgraduates in the M.Phil Computer Science course varies according to their specialization and work organization. Other factors that change the average salary package are their experience in the field and skillset. However, the Fresher can expect an average salary package of about INR 2 to 15 Lakh Per Annum, depending on their job profiles. Below are some of the top profiles in MPhil Computer science with their average salary structure.
- Research Analyst:- INR 4 Lakh Per Annum
- IT Project Leader:- INR 13 Lakh Per Annum
- Assistant Professor:- INR 5 Lakh Per Annum
- Program manager:- INR 10 Lakh Per Annum
- Computer Scientist:- INR 18 Lakh Per Annum
- Academic Professional:- INR 9 Lakh Per Annum
- System analyst or Network analyst:- INR 4 Lakh Per Annum
- Computer Science Technical Officer:- INR 6 Lakh Per Annum
FAQs on Master of Philosophy in Computer Science
Ans:- Yes, you can do the M. Phil in Computer Science after completing your MCA or equivalent course in a relevant discipline from a recognized university/ institution.
Ans:- Both are best in their way, depending on the candidates’ interest. However, an M.Phil is generally considered the most advanced Master’s degree you can take, while a Ph.D. is the highest academic qualification.
Ans:- The eligibility criteria for M.Phil. courses may vary from university to university; however, the basic eligibility set is that candidates need to have secured at least 55% marks in the subject in which they want to pursue an MPhil degree at the postgraduate level.
Beyond M.Phil Computer Science Under Courses Listing
- MSc Data Science- Admission, Fees, Colleges, Syllabus, Jobs, & Scope
- What Makes BA in Yoga a Specialized Course With Great Scope?
- How Alternative Medicine Courses is Changing the Healthcare?
- Could Graduating with B. Tech Biotechnology be Truly Rewarding?
- Degree in MD Ayurveda is the Most Prominent Program- Check!
- MSc Food & Nutrition Offers Flooding Career Ops- Check Out!