Updated October 18, 2022
MTech in Computer Science is a two-year or four semesters master’s degree program in engineering that offers the student advanced and research-level practical and theoretical knowledge in the domain of computer science. The program focuses on various aspects of computer science such as algorithms & logic, software engineering, networks, system integration, digital system, etc.
The new students are admitted to the program either through national or university level entrance examinations or a direct admission process. Some of the most accepted entrance exams for the program are GATE UPSEE, IPU CET, etc. Candidates need to secure the qualifying marks in the entrance examinations depending on the standard of the institution they have selected for admission.
MTech in Computer Science Course Details
MTech Computer Science is a high-demand course in IT sectors that provide an excellent opportunity for curious minds to explore the world of computer science and technology. Below are the key highlights of the Master of Technology in Computer Science program.
|Course Name||MTech in Computer Science|
|Full-form||Master of Technology in Computer Science|
|Minimum Eligibility||BTech/BE degree in Computer Science or relevant |
domain with Minimum Aggregate of 50% Marks
|Admission Process||Entranced and Merit-Based|
|Average Course Fee||INR 50K to 2 Lakh Per Annum|
|Average Salary Offered||INR 3 to 8 Lakh Per Annum|
|Top Job Positions||Web Developer, System Designer, Network Specialist, etc.|
|Top Recruiting Firms||Microsoft, DELL, Wipro, HP, Google, etc.|
MTech Computer Science Course Specializations
The Master of Technology in Computer science also offers a range of different specializations one can choose from to specialize in. Listed below are some of the most popular ones.
- Data Analytics
- Image Processing
- Cloud Computing
- Artificial Intelligence
MTech in Computer Science Admission Process
The admission granted to the MTech Computer Science Course is either based on the entrance exam performance of candidates or their merit in the qualifying examination (Bachelor’s degree). For entranced-based admission, candidates must apply and clear the entrance exams conducted yearly. While some institutes provide admission to the program based on merit obtained by the candidates in national-level entrance tests like GATE, some institutes also conduct their own entrance tests. After the entrance test, the institutes declare the cut-off list for the same. And, according to their marks in the entrance exam, students can choose their desired college.
For merit-based admission, candidates must meet the minimum marks criteria in the bachelor’s degree, depending on the standard determined by the institutes they have selected for admission. Some colleges also incorporate personal interviews and group discussions in their admission process.
MTech in Computer Science Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for admission into any MTech courses offering colleges may differ from college to college. The minimum eligibility criteria followed by most colleges offering the course are as follows.
- Aspirants must hold BTech/BE degree in Computer Science or other relevant disciplines with a minimum of 50% aggregate score.
- In some leading institute like the IITs, the minimum required aggregate can be at least 60%.
- Aspirants also need to score a suitable aggregate in GATE to qualify for admission.
MTech Computer Science Entrance Examinations
For pursuing any master’s degree in any engineering course, qualifying for the entrance tests is mandatory, and computer science is no different. Below are some of the most popular national, state, and university entrance examinations for MTech Computer Science.
- OJEE (Odisha Joint Entrance Examination)
- WBJEE (West Bengal Joint Entrance Exam)
- TANCET (Tamil Nadu Common Entrance Test)
- GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering)
- IPU CET (Indraprastha University Common Entrance Test)
- BITS HD (Birla Institute of Technology & Science Higher Degree)
- BHU PET (Banaras Hindu University Post Graduate Entrance Test)
- SRMJEEE PG (SRM Joint Engineering Entrance Exam, postgraduate)
- TS PGECET (Telangana State Postgraduate Engineering Common Entrance Test)
- AP PGECET (Andhra Pradesh Post Graduate Engineering Common Entrance Test)
- CUSAT CAT (Cochin University of Science and Technology Common Admission Test)
Top M.Tech. Computer Science Colleges in India
Institutions offering Master of Technology in Computer science programs are in good numbers. Some of the leading ones are listed below.
- Monad University, Delhi
- Sunrise University, Alwar
- Chandigarh University, Mohali
- Jagannath University, Haryana
- Banasthali Vidyapeeth, Rajasthan
- Awadhesh Pratap Singh University
- Jaipur National University, Rajasthan
- Amrita School of Engineering, Kollam
- KLE Technological University, Dharwad
- Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
- Birla Institute of Technology, Jharkhand
- JNTUA College of Engineering, Anantapur
- Government Engineering College, Thrissur
- National Institute of Technology, Rourkela
- Om Prakash Joginder Singh University, Rajasthan
- Swami Keshvanand Institute of Technology, Jaipur
- Netaji Subhas University of Technology, New Delhi
- Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Hyderabad
- Sree Vidyanikethan Engineering College, Andhra Pradesh
- The Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University, Nagpur
M.Tech in Computer Science Course Fees
The average course fee for the program at different institutions ranges from 50K to 2 lakh per annum. The fees for pursuing the program depend on the education quality and authority of the institution selected by the candidates for admission to the MTech Computer science program. The tuition fee at government institutions is substantially lesser than at private institutions because of the difference in fee regulating criteria.
Master of Technology in Computer Science Syllabus
The syllabus for MTech Computer Science may differ from institution to institution, but the fundamental subjects of the course remain the same everywhere. Keeping in mind, we have presented you the MTech Computer Science syllabus followed by most institutions offering the program. Tabulated below is the semester-wise break of the M. Tech. Computer Science.
Particulars of MTech Computer Science Syllabus
|Semester I||Elective I|
|Discrete Mathematics Structure|
|Object-Oriented Data Structures|
|Advanced Computer Architecture|
|Design and Analysis of Algorithms|
|Semester II||Elective II|
|Advanced Database Systems|
|Operating System and System Programming|
|Semester III||VLSI Design|
|Principles of Programming Language|
|Semester IV||Project work|
|Dissertation and Viva Voce|
|Computational Number Theory|
|Data Warehousing and Data Mining|
|Theoretical Computer Science and Automation|
Scope after M Tech Computer Science Engineering
A number of opportunities open up to the graduates in MTech Computer Science. Post pursuing the program, they can be hired as Application Developer, Business Systems analysts, Software Programmer, Client Server Systems managers, etc., in employment areas like academic institutions, Entertainment industries, Fintech industries IT sectors, Retail marketing, Banking, Finance, etc.,
Apart from choosing to be a professional, they can also enroll themselves in higher studies programs. Options for Higher degree education to the postgraduates in MTech Computer science are doctoral programs in the same domain and other master’s courses like MBA or PGDM.
MTech Computer Science Jobs and Career Options
Post Pursuing the program, candidates are hired for various job roles in academic institutions, Entertainment industries, IT sectors, Retail marketing, Banking, Finance, etc. The job profiles an MTech Computer Science graduate is designated vary from industry to industry. Some top profiles that M.Tech in computer science graduates can aspire to are as follows.
- IT Consultant
- Web Developer
- System Designer
- Technical Analyst
- Software Programmer
Salary after MTech in Computer Science Engineering
The average initial salary offered to MTech Computer Science graduates ranges from 3 to 8 lakh per annum, depending on the specialization and the organizations they are hired by. However, experience also plays a significant part in the growth of their salaries, and one who is more experienced in the field can expect a more substantial salary figure. The most popular job profiles and the average salary structure are listed below.
- Professor:- INR 7 to 9 Lakh Per Annum
- IT Consultant:- INR 6 to 8 Lakh Per Annum
- Web Developer:- INR 3 to 4 Lakh Per Annum
- System Designer:- INR 4 to 5 Lakh Per Annum
- Technical Analyst:- INR 6 to 8 Lakh Per Annum
- Software Programmer:- INR 4 to 5 Lakh Per Annum
FAQs on Master of Technology in Computer Science
Ans:- After pursuing the MTech in Computer sciences candidates join various firms or companies as a System Analyst, Web Developer, Software Development Engineer, etc., and are offered the average annual salary starts from INR 3 to 8 Lakh.
Ans:- Yes, you definitely can pursue MTech in Computer Science after BTech/BE in computer science or other relevant discipline. Aspirants need to meet the minimum percentage criteria and qualify for the national or university level entrance test such as GATE UPSEE, IPU CET etc.
Ans:- Though every learning is best in its way, some of the MTech computer science branches are listed below.
· MTech in Data Science
· MTech in Artificial Intelligence
· MTech in Information Technology
· MTech in Information Security and Cyber Forensics
· MTech in Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence
Reads Beyond M.Tech. Computer Science Under Courses Listing
- MSc Data Science- Admission, Colleges, Syllabus, Jobs & Scope
- Bachelor in Vet Science as Promising Career- Colleges & Jobs
- How Alternative Medicine Courses is Changing Healthcare Space?
- Could Graduating with B. Tech Biotechnology be Truly Rewarding?
- Degree in MD Ayurveda is the Most Prominent Program- Check!
- MSc Food and Nutrition Offers Flooding Career Ops- Check Out!