Updated October 18, 2022
MSc in Computer Science is a two-year post-graduate degree program that involves studying computers and computational systems, including theory, algorithm, design, development, and hardware and software implementation. The program primarily focuses on developing advanced software skills to solve various logical challenges.
Candidates with a Bachelor’s degree from any recognized University in a relevant discipline with a minimum aggregate of 50% marks can apply for the program. Admission offered to the program is either based on the Merit of the candidates at the graduate level or their performance in the standard entrance examination followed by a personal interview.
Various leading institutions in India, such as St. Xavier’s College (Kolkata), Loyola College (Chennai), Christ University (Bangalore), Osmania University (Hyderabad), etc., offer the Master of Science in Computer Science courses. The average fee for the program is around 30K to 3.5 Lakh, depending on the institution candidates have selected for admission.
MSc in Computer Science Course Details
The table below presents the significant highlights of the Master of Science in Computer science program.
|Course Name||MSc in Computer Science|
|Full form||Master of Science in Computer Science|
|Course Duration||Two Years|
|Eligibility Criteria||Bachelor’s degree from any recognized University|
in relevant disciplines with Physics, Mathematics
and Computer Science.
|Minimum Percentage Required||50% in Aggregate|
|Admission Process||Merit and Entranced Based|
|Average Fee incurred||INR 35K to 3.5 Lakh Per Annum|
|Examination Pattern||Semester and Yearly wise both|
|Top Entrance Exams||DUET, CUCET, IIT JAM, AIIMS PG Exam, etc.|
|Top Institutes||Arihant Group of Institutes, Sanjay Rungta Group |
of Institutions, JECRC University, Lovely
Professional University, Shyam University, etc.
|Average Salary offered||INR 3 to 8 Lakh Per Annum|
|Prominent Employment Areas||Data Science companies, IT companies, Banks, etc.|
|Top Job profiles||Software Engineer, Project Manager – Information |
Technology (IT), Technical Architect, Principal
Software Engineer, Data Scientist, Lead Software Engineer etc.
|Top Recruiting Companies||Wipro, Amazon, Wipro Technologies Ltd., Oracle, |
Infosys, Cognizant, TCS, HCL, J.P. Morgan Chase & Co., etc.
M.Sc. in Computer Science Admission Process
The admission process for the Master of Science in Computer Science program differs from institute to institute. Some institutions grant access to the program based on different university and national level entrance exams. In entranced-based admission, institutions prepare a merit list of the candidates who have secured the minimum qualifying marks and allocate seats supporting the merit list. And some provided merit-based admission considering the applicants’ marks in their previous qualifying examinations. Discussed below are the different processes of admission for the MSc CS program.
- Merit-based Admissions :- Institutions that grant access to the MSc in Computer Science Program on a merit basis consider the educational performance of the candidates in 12th grade or graduation.
- Entrance based Admissions :- Some institutions also provide entranced-based admission to M.Sc. CS Program. Here the institutions consider the candidates’ performances in the entrance test followed by a personal interview. These Entrance exams are of either university or national level.
M.Sc. Computer Science Eligibility Criteria
For applying to the MSc Computer Science Course, aspirants must meet specific eligibility criteria. Most institutions ask for more or less similar eligibility criteria for granting admission to the program. Below are the minimum eligibility criteria for the MSc in Computer Science Program.
- Aspirants must hold a BSc degree from a recognized university with a subject combination of Physics, Mathematics and Computer Science.
- They should have also secured a minimum aggregate of 50 % marks at graduation.
- They should have also passed an entrance exam and a personal interview and met the institute’s minimum standards.
Popular MSc CS Entrance Examination
Various institutions conduct Entrance examinations for granting admission to M.Sc. CS course. And, based on the performance in entrance tests followed by personal interviews, candidates are selected for admission. Listed below are some famous national and university Entrance exams for MSc in Computer Science.
- DUET (Delhi University Entrance Test)
- CUCET (Central Universities Common Entrance Test)
- JNUEE (Jawaharlal Nehru University Entrance Examination)
- IIT JAM (Indian Institute of Technology Joint Admission test)
- AIIMS PG Exam (All India Institute of Medical Sciences PG Exam)
- BITSAT (Birla Institute of Technology and Science Admission Test)
- BHU PET (Banaras Hindu University Undergraduate Entrance Test)
Master of Science in Computer Science Syllabus
The course curriculum of M.Sc. Computer Science incorporates assignments, practicals, lab work, theory of different books and several projects. Below is the year-wise breakup of the syllabus for the MSc CS Program. So, check out the table below for detailed knowledge of the curriculum and syllabus of MSc Computer Science.
Particulars of MSc in Computer Science Syllabus
|First Year||Data Structures|
|Dot Net (.NET) Laboratory|
|C++ Programming Laboratory|
|Database Management System|
|Design and Analysis of Algorithms|
|Visual and Dot Net (.NET) Programming|
|Computer Organization and Architecture|
|Structured and Object-Oriented Programming|
|Mathematical Foundations of Computer Science|
|Database Management and Case Tools Laboratory|
|Operating Systems Laboratory – Unix and Shell Programming|
|Second Year||Data Mining|
|Web Tech/ Java Laboratory|
Top M.Sc. Computer Science Colleges in India
Numerous educational institutes in India offer M.Sc. Computer Science program as it is a very high demanding course worldwide due to the advancement of technology. Listed below are some of the best Institutes that offer MSc CS courses.
- REVA University, Bangalore
- Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi
- Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune
- Annamalai University, Annamalai Nagar
- Lovely Professional University, Jalandhar
- Banaras Hindu University, Uttar Pradesh
- Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology, Orissa
- Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, Gujarat
- National Institute of Technology Tiruchirappalli, Tamil Nadu
Scope After MSc in Computer Science
There is plethora of job opportunities after obtaining an MSc degree in computer science in India and Overseas. The number of job roles is available in the private as well as government sectors depending on their specialization in the field, ranging from data science and computer languages to cybersecurity.
The unreal growth in the digital front and technology has created numerous jobs and work in the field of Computer Science. After graduating with MSc CS, one can look for job roles like Computer Programmer, Software Engineer, Security Expert, Systems Support Administrator, IT Consultant, Network Administrator, Web Developer, etc.
Besides that, those who want to go for higher studies have many options for further education. These higher degree educations help students gain good roles and boost their compensation. Some of the higher study options after MSc CS are listed below.
- PhD in Computer Science
- MPhil in Computer Science
- MTech in Computer Science
- Master in Computer Application (MCA)
- Master in Business Administration (MBA)
- PhD in Computer and Information Science
- PhD in Computer Science and Applications
MSc in Computer Science Jobs and Career
There is no shortage of job opportunities after completing the MSc CS Program, and numerous job roles are available in the private as well as government sectors. Some top jobs that an MSc CS graduate can look for are listed below.
- IT analyst
- IT Consultant
- Technical Analyst
- Software Designer
- Software Programmer
- Product Development
- Academic Professional
- Network Administrator
- Database Administrator
- Web Application Developer
Salary after MSc Computer Science
The initial average salary offered to the Master of Science in Computer Science graduates ranges from 3 to 8 lakh per annum, depending on their specialization and the organization’s location they are working for. However, with gaining some expertise in the field, salary increases. MSc computer scientists with less than a year of experience can expect an average salary of INR 50K per Month. And two to five-year-experienced Computer Science professionals can expect around 2 lakh Per Month. Listed below are top profiles after MSc CS with their average salary structure.
- Programmer:- INR 5 Lakhs Per Annum
- Web Designer:- INR 3 Lakhs Per Annum
- Data Scientists:- INR 8 Lakhs Per Annum
- Web Developer:- INR 3 Lakhs Per Annum
- Network Engineer:- INR 4 Lakhs Per Annum
- Software Engineer:- INR 7 Lakhs Per Annum
- Computer-Aided Designer:- INR 4 Lakhs Per Annum
- Computer Science Engineer:- INR 6 Lakhs Per Annum
Mostly asked Questions on MSc CS Program
Ans:- MSc in Computer Science is a two-year post-graduate program focusing on developing advanced programming skills and strategies to solve various logical challenges using different programming languages.
Ans:- Yes, there is no shortage of job opportunities after obtaining an MSc degree in Computer Science. MSC IT graduates can look for various job roles in a corporate sector like Computer Programmer, Software Engineer, Security Expert, Systems Support Administrator, IT Consultant, Network Administrator, Web Developer, etc.
Ans:- Yes, M.Sc. computer science has vast scope due to the remarkable growth in the digital front and technology. After completing the M.Sc Computer Science, graduates aspire to various job roles in government and private workforces in India and abroad as well. Jobs MSc CS graduates can look for are Computer Engineer, Computer Network Architect, Computer System Analyst, Data Scientist, Information Security Manager, Web Designer, etc.